Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Films to Look Out For in 2014 (possible Oscar contenders)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Films to Look Out For in 2014 (possible Oscar contenders)

A Most Wanted Man
    Starring: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Willem Dafoe
    Plot: A Chechen Muslim illegally immigrates to Hamburg, where he gets caught in the international war on terror.

Hoffman's performance is supposed to be real real good.

Interstellar
    Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck
    Plot: A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

Nolan is reaching for something epic here. Let's see if it pans out, he usually does.

Inherent Vice
    Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson
    Plot: In Los Angeles in 1970, drug-fueled detective Larry "Doc" Sportello investigates the disappearance of a former girlfriend

Paul Thomas Anderson.......nothing more needs to be said

Fury
    Starring: Brad Pitt, Shia Lebouf, Michael Pena
    Plot: April, 1945. A battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Wardaddy and his men face odds in their attempts to strike at Nazi Germany.

Ayer's End of Watch was solid. This has potential be present at awards season.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jude Law, Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum
    Plot: The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.

Already has gotten great reviews, Wes Anderson is always good, and Fiennes is supposed to be phenomenal.

Exodus
    Starring: Christian Bale, Ben Kingsley, Sigourey Weaver, Joel Edgerton, John Turturro
    Plot: An account of Moses' hand in leading the Israelite slaves out of Egypt.

Could be epic, could be a complete failure. Ridley has been known to burn other great actors before, as he did last year in The Counselor, which was a big let down. I'm still betting on Christian Bale as of late though.

Foxcatcher
    Starring: Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo, Channing Tatum
    Plot: The story of Olympic Wrestling Champion Mark Schultz and how paranoid schizophrenic John duPont killed his brother, Olympic Champion Dave Schultz.

Bennett Miller was great in Capote and Moneyball, and this looks to be real good too.

Gone Girl
    Starring: Ben Affleck
    Plot: A woman mysteriously disappears on the day of her wedding anniversary. Based on the novel, "Gone Girl."

Normally with Ben Affleck in the movie and NOT being the Director, I wouldn't have high hopes. But....David Fincher is making this. He's simply one of the best around.

Boyhood
    Starring: Ethan Hawke
    Plot: The life of a young man, Mason, from age 5 to age 18.
    Literally 12 years in the making. The movie was filmed over a 12 year span, about a kid (the same actor) growing up. Supposedly the best film previewed at Sundance.

The Imitation Game
    Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Keria Knightley
    Plot: English mathematician and logician, Alan Turing, helps crack the Enigma code during World War II.

The Weinstein company picked it up for a reason, has Oscar written all over it.

Originally posted by Freedom2014
    Interstellar looks interesting.

I hope it's not a disappointment like Prometheus.
    Christopher Nolan is always good it seems. Ridley Scott has a track record for big let downs like Prometheus and The Counselor.

I'm most anticipating Interstellar, Inherent Vice, A Most Wanted Man, and Gone Girl.

Comment

The Imitation Game movie has oscar all over it. Usually movies dating back to the past usually ends up getting a lot of nominations.

Comment

Looking forward to quite a number of those to be honest, especially with Interstellar. Wonder if the Mcconaissance will continue.

That film Boyhood sounds interesting. Haven't heard much about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
          Looking forward to quite a number of those to be honest, especially with Interstellar. Wonder if the Mcconaissance will continue.

That film Boyhood sounds interesting. Haven't heard much about it though.
          Interstellar looks like Nolan is shooting for epic like Space Odyssey or something. If anyone can pull that off, it's Nolan.

If you would have told me say 5-6 years ago that Matthew McConaughey would be an Oscar winning actor, with a strong of several real good films in a row, I would have told you that you're crazy.

The Lincoln Lawyer, Bernie, Killer Joe, Mud, Magic Mike (his performance was funny as hell), Dallas Buyers Club, and The Wolf of Wall Street (though he was only there for like 10 minutes). The guy is legit now.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Interstellar looks like Nolan is shooting for epic like Space Odyssey or something. If anyone can pull that off, it's Nolan.

If you would have told me say 5-6 years ago that Matthew McConaughey would be an Oscar winning actor, with a strong of several real good films in a row, I would have told you that you're crazy.

The Lincoln Lawyer, Bernie, Killer Joe, Mud, Magic Mike (his performance was funny as hell), Dallas Buyers Club, and The Wolf of Wall Street (though he was only there for like 10 minutes). The guy is legit now.

Yeah I've got big hopes for that Nolan film.

Same I mean the run that McConaughey has put together is unreal, especially if you include his work in True Detective as well. His run from 2011 has been unreal. Don't think I've seen a turnaround like it before.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
              Yeah I've got big hopes for that Nolan film.

Same I mean the run that McConaughey has put together is unreal, especially if you include his work in True Detective as well. His run from 2011 has been unreal. Don't think I've seen a turnaround like it before.
              I was also pleasently surprised at how much I've enjoyed Jonah Hill in Moneyball and Wolf of Wall Street. He's not McConaughey or anything, but damn....Jonah Hill is a 2x Oscar Nominee.....crazy ****.

I want to see the trailer for Inherent Vice. PTA is hands down, IMO, the best director relevant right now aside from Scorsese. I know there's Spielberg, but he's inconsistent. Anderson has never made a bad film. It's a crying shame he has only 1 film nominated for Best Director/Picture.

Comment

Working...
              X