Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Martinez ranked above Ward p4p?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their recent accomplishments are close enough that Ward being a much better fighter IMO should give him the obvious nod. If people were honest, they would say that Martinez is only so highly ranked because Paul Williams was so highly ranked, and Sergio just inherited that spot. Whether he deserves it, much like whether Paul Williams actually deserved it, doesn't enter anyone's mind it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Their recent accomplishments are close enough that Ward being a much better fighter IMO should give him the obvious nod. If people were honest, they would say that Martinez is only so highly ranked because Paul Williams was so highly ranked, and Sergio just inherited that spot. Whether he deserves it, much like whether Paul Williams actually deserved it, doesn't enter anyone's mind it seems.
      Kelly Pavlik was highly ranked too. The unified, Ring 160lb champ who had never been beaten at that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Kelly Pavlik was highly ranked too. The unified, Ring 160lb champ who had never been beaten at that weight.
        Man I'm still pissed at JT for not beating Pavlik when he had him hurt!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          It seemed like Sergio just kind of inherited Paul Williams's p4p spot after the knockout. People went a little overboard, I don't look at Sergio Martinez personally and see one of the three best fighters in boxing. If Pacquiao keeps slipping then he'll hit the top four. P4P is pretty subjective though, so it's all just opinion.

I've always felt that Marquez got screwed in the p4p rankings after losing to Mayweather. He went from #2 to 5th or something. I know p4p is subjective and all that, but at that time especially the three best fighters in the sport were obviously Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Marquez. I still feel that way now, though I won't argue with Ward being ranked before Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            It seemed like Sergio just kind of inherited Paul Williams's p4p spot after the knockout. People went a little overboard, I don't look at Sergio Martinez personally and see one of the three best fighters in boxing. If Pacquiao keeps slipping then he'll hit the top four. P4P is pretty subjective though, so it's all just opinion.

I've always felt that Marquez got screwed in the p4p rankings after losing to Mayweather. He went from #2 to 5th or something. I know p4p is subjective and all that, but at that time especially the three best fighters in the sport were obviously Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Marquez. I still feel that way now, though I won't argue with Ward being ranked before Pacquiao.
            I think moving up and beating two pound for pounders decisively, one of them by chilling KO, had a lot to do with it.

Comment

Meh Martinez deserves it....................

Call me when he loses.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
                the very best at 168 would be bute and the dirrell brothers. abraham was in a tough fight with dirrell and just lost to froch, i think him being a tough opponent heading into the ward fight was out the window. green sucks and i don't think bika is among the very best. froch imo is overrated. he has heart but he's not much of a challenge to someone like ward. i mean how many people thought ward was going to lose? ward clearly beating froch with a broken hand just showed what quality of level fighter froch is, just imo...
                martinez hasn't been fighting the absolute best either. guys like barker and dzinziruk are average if anything, but i think macklin has shown in his last two fights that he's among the top in the MW division. he got the short end of the stick vs sturm, i mean we all know that some feel he was robbed.
                Before that tournament started, Kessler, Abraham and Froch was all title holders and most was picking them to dominate this tournament, don't try to water down Ward Accomplishment because he dominated the Tournament because going into this Tournament not many people was picking him

Bute build up HYPE for himself while the best fighters in that Division was in a Tournament and he was in Canada knocking out and beating BUMS

as for Bika...anybody that knows anything about boxing knows that Bika style is extremely tough to deal with, Ward didn't even have to take that fight, he could have just sat and home and waited for the next round of the Tournament after Dirrell pulled out...sure we can look back and say Abraham and Froch probably wasn't that good now after Ward DOMINATED THEM, but that sure wasn't what people was saying going into that Tournament
                Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CONQUERING View Post
                  Man I'm still pissed at JT for not beating Pavlik when he had him hurt!!!!
                  Man, I'm still shocked JT even came that close. I had totally written him off after the Spinks bout smh.

Comment

Hell I was shocked he beat Edison Miranda. The Miranda hype train swept me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                      Hell I was shocked he beat Edison Miranda. The Miranda hype train swept me up.
                      Never understood the hype with him. Even his "power' was overrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X