Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposal to Arum: Cotto vs. Margarito rematch for the right to face Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal to Arum: Cotto vs. Margarito rematch for the right to face Pacquiao

I have hired myself to work for boxing and the likes of Top Rank Promotions to do pro bono match-making for the benefit of the boxing community. Because seriously, the fans need it. The whole Mayweather-Pacquiao debacle has left the sport in a bad light and it's fans hurting inside as outsiders laugh at what was once a glorious sport and it's inability to grant fans the one fight they have wanted this badly in ages.

Now I don't know if I simply have more sense than some of the suits that run boxing or if they simply have ulterior motives and are too greedy to go Nike and just do it.

Top Rank, listen. If you want to put together the biggest show in boxing before the year ends, this is what you do. You put Manny Pacquiao in the headline, match him up with either Juan Manuel Marquez to finish their trilogy, or even throw Timothy Bradley or Andre Berto in there and put Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito in the main under card at Jerry Jones' Cowboys Stadium.

You want to talk about putting together the biggest spectacles and big fight cards, well there you have it. It's a can't miss. If Pacquiao drew 50,000 people by himself against Clottey, this card will sell out Cowboys stadium and do 100,000 easily, especially if the Pacquiao-Marquez trilogy would be the headliner.

The Texas border might even have to double their manpower during the weekend of November 13, because this will truly be a 'can't miss' for Mexican boxing fans. I'm just saying.

Because as it is, Margarito and Cotto have little to nothing to offer Pacquiao. Money is a given. Pacquiao can make money regardless who he fights. But what is more important at this stage of his career is his legacy. It's the main difference between him and the other guy who claims he's the best. Honestly, the biggest challenge available is Paul Williams, but even I think the length and height disparity is too much for Manny, but heck, that's why he defies logic. The only reason why these (Cotto or Margarito vs. Pac) fights would happen right now because of money- and I guess you could say "Money" too. But if either does, then I guess Pacquiao and Mayweather have more things in common than we thought.

link

great idea but its not going to happen.

Comment

I agree with this match up

Comment

while it is a good suggestion, i believe cotto and margarito would only 'soften' each other up for pac.

Comment

I like this idea, but pac needs an opponent for nov and margarito is the opponent.

Comment

I cosign this I made this point in a thread earlier. Cotto vs Margaritto II is way more marketable than pac vs either. Pac should fight Bradley, PW, or Berto if he needs a NOV opponent.

Comment

Very good idea but it'll never happen.

Comment

Working...
              X