No announcement yet.

The Ring experts verbally attack Hatton: "He is good, but nothing special"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ring experts verbally attack Hatton: "He is good, but nothing special"

“He’s a decent fighter, make no mistake. I just wouldn’t rate him with the greats, not even among British greats.”
    - Patrick Myler, a British boxing historian and author

“I think he’s a good fighter. Is he great? I don’t know if I’d say great; probably not. Hatton’s style has served him well, but, honestly, when have you watched Hatton fight and thought to yourself or said, 'Wow, what a great fighter!'"
    - Al Bernstein (Showtime Championship Boxing)

“On the night Hatton beat Tszyu, he was tremendous. One great performance. He’s floundered ever since."
    - Colin Hart, the dean of British boxing writers

"Aside from Tszyu, who has he beaten?"
    - Michael Rosenthal (The Ring contributor)

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/593/hatto...thing_special/
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    42.11%
    Don't Care
    7.89%
    Last edited by SuckaPunch; 04-24-2009, 10:40 AM.

it's not an attack, it's realism

Comment

it's the truth. he's nothing special.

the top fighters all have signature wins and performances, hatton hasnt had an awe inspiring win.

Comment

I've noticed that The Ring is very biased against Hatton, and to call Colin Hart "the dean of British boxing writers" just shows what little they actually know..

Comment

Ricky Hatton really isn't all that. I don't know how he remained undefeated that long. Not trying to take anything away from him but he isn't that amazing of a fighter in my opinion.

Comment

Funny how one of 6 Ring champions and a guy who's been top 10 P4P for half a decade is "Nothing Special", I'd love to know what they think of Pavlik or Chris John...

Comment

I voted Yes, but really, he isn't much to look at in the ring.. Loads of clinches.. Got good bodyshots though.. To me his true test was against Mayweather and he failed.. His next true test will be against Pacman, and i'm excited to see how he does.

Comment

“He’s a decent fighter, make no mistake. I just wouldn’t rate him with the greats, not even among British greats.”
                - Patrick Myler, a British boxing historian and author
                Completely reasonable and true

“I think he’s a good fighter. Is he great? I don’t know if I’d say great; probably not. Hatton’s style has served him well, but, honestly, when have you watched Hatton fight and thought to yourself or said, 'Wow, what a great fighter!'"
                - Al Bernstein (Showtime Championship Boxing)
                Completely reasonable and true

“On the night Hatton beat Tszyu, he was tremendous. One great performance. He’s floundered ever since."
                - Colin Hart, the dean of British boxing writers
                Reasonable. Maybe some will call it a little harsh.

"Aside from Tszyu, who has he beaten?"
                - Michael Rosenthal (The Ring contributor)
                A tad harsh. Still not entirely unreasonable

Comment

Originally posted by jching View Post
                  I've noticed that The Ring is very biased against Hatton, and to call Colin Hart "the dean of British boxing writers" just shows what little they actually know..
                  they still rated him #8 p4p,how very generous of em!

Comment

hes good but not great, if ricky took away the hugs and clinches hed be at the same level that his brother is. rickys a good fghter bt if he thinks beating a former flyweight will put him ahead of SSM, cotto, hopkins, vasquez, JMM and pacman then hes severely mistaken.

at first he was a breath of fresh air he seemed humble down to earth and had a good style but since tszyu he has gone downhill. it was nice to see someone like ricky but he was never going to be great. since tszyu he clinches more often, brings out the jack-the-lad cliches more often and just seems a bit bloody boring.

tbh honest id love for him to lose and then we can concentrate on haye, and on the development of the likes of cleverly, brook, appleby and the three olympians.

Comment

Working...
                    X