Quiz: Who are we? IV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz: Who are we? IV

The answer to each question is two different fighters:

1. We fought a close fight for the world title. One of us won our first and only world title by smashing a Brit whilst the other was smashed by a Brit in a wild fight. Who are we? Gregorio Vargas and Kevin Kelley

2. We fought to a split decision in a non-title fight. One of us was a two-weight world champion who lost twice to a fighter that the other fought and lost to for a world title at the age of 19. Who are we? Roger Mayweather and Mario Martinez

3. We fought once for a less respected 'world' title. One of us had previously pulled off an upset in London becoming only the second man to defeat a fighter that the other had been the first man to defeat. Who are we? Steve Little and James Toney

4. What connects us is that we were world champions from the same island. One of us became a world champion and fought some great middleweights and light-heavyweights whilst the other lost to a defensive wizard. Who are we? Carl 'Bobo' Olson and Paul Fuji

5. We fought each other once for a less respected 'world' title. Both of our biggest victories were against the same fighter, we were the only men to defeat said fighter. Who are we? Vince Phillips and Ricky Hatton

6. What connects us is that we were both US world champions from the same ethnicity who didn't fight under our real names. One of us was a left hook slugger who fought in a ring magazine fight of the year whilst the other was all about the jab. Who are we? Tony DeMarco and Joey Maxim

7. We fought each other once for a world title. One has the same surname as one of the greatest writers and the other the same surname as one of the greatest comedians. Who are we? Antonio Cervantes and Aaron Pryor

8. We never fought but we are from the same country and ethnicity. One of us was a world champion with a smooth boxer style and the other was a hard punching slugger who never became a world champion himself but his son did. Who are we? Lionel Rose and Tony Mundine
    Last edited by Humean; 03-02-2017, 03:18 PM.

7 is Pryor and Cervantes, obvious one, will have a look at the others properly soon.

Comment

3. I'm thinking Witherspoon/Bonecrusher - but far from sure this is what you have in mind?

4. Again, not at all sure - but I believe Glen Johnson and Uriah Grant fit the description.

6. Pretty sure this is Tony DeMarco and Pep.

8. VERY sure this must be Tony Mundine and Lionel Rose!

The rest I'd like to give some more thought!

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        7 is Pryor and Cervantes, obvious one, will have a look at the others properly soon.
        Correct

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
        3. I'm thinking Witherspoon/Bonecrusher - but far from sure this is what you have in mind?

4. Again, not at all sure - but I believe Glen Johnson and Uriah Grant fit the description.

6. Pretty sure this is Tony DeMarco and Pep.

8. VERY sure this must be Tony Mundine and Lionel Rose!

The rest I'd like to give some more thought!
        Your answers for 3 and 4 are incorrect. Tony DeMarco is correct but not Willie Pep. You are correct about question 8.

I think i've made this far too hard again.

Comment

If Pep is not acceptable, my next guess would be Joey Maxim.

Yes, some of those questions are pretty hard!

Comment

If Pep is not acceptable, my next guess would be Joey Maxim.

Yes, some of those questions are pretty hard!
            Bingo.

Everytime I try to do an easy question I think it is far too easy and then end up making it really hard. I'll add extra clues on sunday if nobody has got them all by then.

Comment

I think there are several answers to #4, besides Johnson/Grant (lost to Chris Bird)!

There's Jose Torres combined with either Cotto (lost to Mayweather) or Jake Rodriguez (lost to Whitaker).

And maybe the most obvious one: Mike McTigue and George Gardner (lost to Jack Johnson).

Comment

I think there are several answers to #4, besides Johnson/Grant (lost to Chris Bird)!

There's Jose Torres combined with either Cotto (lost to Mayweather) or Jake Rodriguez (lost to Whitaker).

And maybe the most obvious one: Mike McTigue and George Gardner (lost to Jack Johnson).
                Nope, none of them.

Comment

Additional clues.

None of the answers are fighters from before the second world war.
                  1. We fought a close fight for the world title. One of us won our first and only world title by smashing a Brit from Liverpool in Dublin whilst the other was smashed by a Brit in a wild fight. In this wild fight Larry Merchant was pretty flabbergasted by one of the entrances. Who are we?

2. We fought to a split decision in a non-title fight. One of us was a two-weight world champion at 130 and 140 pounds who lost twice to a fighter that the other fought and lost to for a world title at the age of 19. The other fighter never did become a world champion but he is one of the better fighters never to have done so. Who are we?

3. We fought once for a less respected 'world' title. One of us had previously pulled off an upset in London becoming only the second man to defeat a fighter that the other had been the first man to defeat. When the first man pulled off the upset his record was 21-13-2 going into the fight and the man he defeated was 42-1-0. This same fighter was 36-0 and right near the top of the pound for pound rankings when he first lost to this other fighter. Who are we?

4. What connects us is that we were world champions from the same island. One of us became a world champion and fought some great middleweights and light-heavyweights whilst the other lost to a defensive wizard. One had a tattoo on his arm and the other has a connection to Japan although that is not the island that either are from. Who are we?

5. We fought each other once for a less respected 'world' title. Both of our biggest victories were against the same fighter, we were the only men to defeat said fighter. The fighter they both defeated was in the Ring magazine pound for pound list at the time of both defeats. Who are we?

Comment

4: With the added reference to Japan, we're obviously talking about Paul Fuji and Carl "Bobo" Olson.

Comment

Working...
                    X