Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Americans(especially the sports fans)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same could be said for las vegas. no major sport there yet they have all the arenas lol

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
      There are already a lot of teams in Texas and I imagine it's not a huge priority for the state since Austin is like an hour away from san antonio. It's also between Dallas and Houston all of which have teams. They have a team in the d league (nba) I think but I'd have to google..think maybe a soccer team too but again..not sure. They even have some good colleges (sports wise). Doubt there's a big demand for Austin.

Virginia I dunno.... Guess there's no huge demand for it? Maybe they don't feel like it's marketable I guess. They follow the redskins in that area as far as I know..don't know about what other teams they follow...i mean honestly I dont think anyone is dying to play in virginia.. People would rather play in Vegas I'm sure and even they (Nevada) dont have a team but I dont know all the details.

I mean if they cant even get a football team in Alabama (which is a big football state) Virginia isnt getting anything
      I don't think having many teams is a reason. LA has 2 hockey teams so I can't imagine that Dallas, Houston and San Antonio being close by would prevent Austin from having a team.

And I think Virginia is more capable of supporting a sports franchise than Alabama. Birmingham is not nearly as big or wealthy as Richmond and Norfolk.

Originally posted by HiLo Rudyo! View Post
      Austin has the Longhorns who when they aren't awful are basically Austin's pro-team.
      Every city has a major college team. That hasn't prevented other markets from having a pro sports team before.

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Those markets are way too small to handle the expenses it takes to run a major sports franchise.... They could never generate enough revenue to compete with major markets..., bigger markets like stl, Kansas city, Minneapolis, etc have trouble keeping up with the big boys, let alone even smaller markets like Norfolk
      Not from what I saw. Norfolk and Austin could easily support a major sports franchise IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
        I don't think having many teams is a reason. LA has 2 hockey teams so I can't imagine that Dallas, Houston and San Antonio being close by would prevent Austin from having a team.

And I think Virginia is more capable of supporting a sports franchise than Alabama. Birmingham is not nearly as big or wealthy as Richmond and Norfolk.

Every city has a major college team. That hasn't prevented other markets from having a pro sports team before.

Not from what I saw. Norfolk and Austin could easily support a major sports franchise IMO.
        What did you see,,, those markets are small compared to major markets... How big are those markets....

Comment

NCAA is pretty much a pro league as for NBA NFL MLB etc there are too many teams already so for Austin or Oklahoma City to get a team a city like Seattle would have to lose a team

Like I said best solution would be to have lower leagues with promotions and relegations maybe we will see that one day

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            Just because it's a wealthy area doesn't mean that area wants to support a team...which is clear they don't. That also doesn't mean players want to live there as there's really "nothing there" as people would say...it wouldn't be seen as a prestigious market because there's zero history and it's "Virginia". People would feel like they're playing in South Dakota or some random country area. It's kind of a stereotype but people just think military and nice country. Athletes live in the wealthy areas as it is..but they'd rather be playing in LA, NY, Miami, Chicago, etc.

Didn't know they were so close to DC, guess that explains why I've heard the redskins are borderline a home team to them...30 min outside DC so that probably is working fine for them. The money is there but they just have never seemed to push for anything.
            There is nothing country about Va Beach at all. Norfolk is not a big city. It would have to be a team that represents either Richmond or the seven small cities in the southeastern VA area. Comparing Va to South Dakota is so far off. The weather and location is completely different.

As far as there not being anything there, it's all relative. It's not Miami, but it's not Cleveland either. I've been to more than a few of the cities that hold sports franchises and a lot of them are not that impressive. Either way the community won't pay for an arena. The arena's there are all garbage

Edit: Interesting timing with this thread because apparently that arena is close to happening. The proposal is that it will be in Va Beach on the ocean front. If that happens and an NBA team is in danger of moving I'm pretty positive they will be the first target. NBA loves new arenas.
            Last edited by -Antonio-; 06-02-2016, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X