Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lomachenko vs. Linares - afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's still great but Loma is a lot of flash. Linares is a skilled technian and difficult to outbox, he's just always been on the frail side. Put Loma in there with a guy like Mikey and you'll see a lot of that extra stuff he does will fail him and might even get him hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
      Loma doesn’t make the odds.

The odds were wrong anyway. Which was why I put a little bit on Linares. I got 8/1
      I never said that Loma makes the odds. Odds represent the probability of a particular outcome occurring. For example, if one were to toss a fair coin, then the probability of getting tails would be: P(tails)=1/2.

In the case of most sporting events, odds can be used as a good indicator of the public's opinion. For example, Linares was a 7-to-1 underdog because more people put money on Loma than him. In other words, very few people believed that Linares would win.

Loma was the heavy favourite going into the fight and was expected to cruise through, which, as we all know, did not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Navalny20!8 View Post
        I never said that Loma makes the odds. Odds represent the probability of a particular outcome occurring. For example, if one were to toss a fair coin, then the probability of getting tails would be: P(tails)=1/2.

In the case of most sporting events, odds can be used as a good indicator of the public's opinion. For example, Linares was a 7-to-1 underdog because more people put money on Loma than him. In other words, very few people believed that Linares would win.

Loma was the heavy favourite going into the fight and was expected to cruise through, which, as we all know, did not happen.
        The odds were stupid. Linares is much bigger was on a winning streak and has fast hands. He fought well against Lomo. I didn't try to score the fight but my impression was Lomo was slightly ahead before the KO. Some people are discussing putting Lomo in with Crawford which is ridiculous. Crawford dwarfs Lomo.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
          I dont know which scorecards were worse this fight or the Ortiz vs Wilder one !

No wonder other champions are reluctant to fight over here , absolute garbage judging ,and had Linares won it should have been investigated it was that obvious .
          The scorecards were fine in my opinion. I had Loma up two points at the time of the stoppage (I gave Linares rounds 1, 6 and 9). Bloody elbow and CBS Sports had the fight even entering the 10th round. Bad left hook had Loma up two points entering the 10th. Clearly, the judges are not the only ones who saw a very close fight.

Comment

People got mad when I said Lomachenko was susceptible to the lead right hand, one even called me a dunce, assuming I didn't know this is the usual case against southpaws. It's far more apparent with Lomachenko because he likes to antagonize his opponents from mid range, squaring up, looking to run them into counters.

It's something that many needed to look at. A good example is Pernell Whitaker, the distinct difference is that Whitaker squared up more so when he started showboating and guys like McGirt/ Roger Mayweather who possessed very good lead right hands were able to drop him. Lomachenko looks like a far more presentable target for lead right hands which is why I shake my head at those who think he could have tangled with Morales or Marquez. That remains to be seen.

It's gonna be far more dangerous if or when he faces Mickey Garcia, that fight will allow me to rate Lomachenko better. At this point I can say Lomachenko is a very good fighter, I don't see great as of yet.
            Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 05-13-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by animelive View Post
              Loma was outweighed, outreached and yet made his opponent who is the top bloke in the division bleed and outboxed. If that isn't p4p no.1, your idea of p4p must be some form of a greek god ko'ing all his opponents with one punch in the first round
              Everyone makes Linares bleed

Comment

I agree in that I expected easy work for Loma. That said, I still have him p4p #1. The two other p4p contenders are Golovkin, who proved nothing against vanes, and Crawford, who rescheduled his fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                  People got mad when I said Lomachenko was susceptible to the lead right hand, one even called me a dunce, assuming I didn't know this is the usual case against southpaws. It's far more apparent with Lomachenko because he likes to antagonize his opponents from mid range, squaring up, looking to run them into counters.

It's something that many needed to look at. A good example is Pernell Whitaker, the distinct difference is that Whitaker squared up more so when he started showboating and guys like McGirt/ Roger Mayweather who possessed very good lead right hands were able to drop him. Lomachenko looks like a far more presentable target for lead right hands which is why I shake my head at those who think he could have tangled with Morales or Marquez. That remains to be seen.

It's gonna be far more dangerous if or when he faces Mickey Garcia, that fight will allow me to rate Lomachenko better. At this point I can say Lomachenko is a very good fighter, I don't see great as of yet.
                  Excellent point. I remember mentioning this after theMartinez fight and it's the reason I would favor Garcia, whose right hand is like a mule kick. Doesn't change my current p4p view of Loma but it's something people need to keep in mind because we saw evidence of it last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post

That is how I see it as well - Loma is definitely a very good fighter, but not a great one. He might become great someday, but that day has not yet arrived.

Comment

Anyone know if Linares had been koed from a body shot before? I keep hearing he's got a weak chin but that doesn't have Anything to do with his body.
                      Last edited by man down; 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X