Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unarmed black man killed in Walmart parking lot by police officers...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
    Since you're from Orange County, here's one. In fact it involves a Sheriffs deputy's son.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug...ath-20110803/2
    Interesting BUT August 02, 2011? I can literally pull up incidents against blacks within the past week. I will say though from working in law enforcement, Blacks like to test the waters with authority moreso than others but like I have said before, its not a criminals job to be a professional, its the Cops and "accidentally" shooting a man is unprofessional in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Vehicles are considered deadly weapons once the driver decides to use it as such. Not sure if the cops still felt there was a threat to themselves or the general public. I do wonder how they justify shooting into a car full of other passengers though. For all they knew there could have been children in the car or they could have been car-jacking victims stuck in the car or just innocent passengers who were stuck in the car with him when he decided to evade police.
      I think it did say they struck a young woman that was in the car. 1 thing that really sticks out to me is, this guy was wanted for questioning. Theyd get him eventually, was there an imminent need to go after him right than and there? There are a lot of times when I shake my head about cops being overzealous to catch a guy and put others in harms way over a mere misdemeanor or a non-violent felony. Not to say Cops should look the other way but again if the threat isnt imminent & the perp is ID'd, catch em on the back end when things can be done with the smallest risk of human life.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        I think it did say they struck a young woman that was in the car. 1 thing that really sticks out to me is, this guy was wanted for questioning. Theyd get him eventually, was there an imminent need to go after him right than and there? There are a lot of times when I shake my head about cops being overzealous to catch a guy and put others in harms way over a mere misdemeanor or a non-violent felony. Not to say Cops should look the other way but again if the threat isnt imminent & the perp is ID'd, catch em on the back end when things can be done with the smallest risk of human life.
        I agree. They had no way of knowing who else was in the car and should not have put those passengers in harm's way if they weren't posing a threat. I understand it is difficult to armchair QB incidents like this, especially when we don't have all of the facts. I can see this story from both sides, and based strictly upon what is in the article, I think they were wrong for firing into a crowded vehicle like that. But, as with most of these incidents, later on we discover there was more to the story, which will either vindicate the cops or sink them deeper into a hole.

Comment

-Update-

A lawyer representing relatives of an unarmed black man killed in a hail of police bullets in a California Walmart parking lot accuses officers of profiling, stalking and unjustifiably shooting him.

Diante “Butchie” Yarber, 26, who had been driving his cousin and friends to a Walmart in Barstow, died when police fired what witnesses told The Guardian sounded like more than 30 bullets. A passenger was seriously wounded.

“They saw a car full of black people sitting in front of a Walmart, and they decided that was suspicious,” Lee Merritt, an attorney representing Yarber’s family, told the paper. “They just began pouring bullets … It’s irresponsible. It’s dangerous. It’s mind-boggling, the use of force.” He said Yarber was hit “an estimated two dozen times.”

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said Barstow officers opened fire after the driver of a black Mustang, wanted for questioning in a recent crime involving a stolen vehicle, suddenly reversed in a getaway attempt, crashed into two patrol cars and “accelerated toward the officers.” Police had been sent to the Walmart lot to investigate “a call of a suspicious vehicle,” the sheriff said in a statement.

Officers involved in the April 5 shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave, police said.

Dale Galipo, an attorney representing Marian Tafoya, 23, a back seat passenger seriously wounded in the shooting, said officers weren’t in the path of the Mustang, so they had no justification to open fire.

Video footage of the car after the shooting shows what appear to be many bullet holes. There’s also minor damage to the front bumper and driver’s side fender, but it’s unclear whether that happened prior to the incident:

Yarber’s aunt, Aleta Yarber, said the car belonged to her son, who was a passenger in the vehicle, and hadn’t been reported stolen. She said her son “has not been able to say much of anything” since the shooting, because “it was very traumatizing.”

Yarber was a “loving, caring and a friendly person,” said Samantha Robledo, who has a 7-year-old daughter named Naliyah with Yarber. “Our relationship was like no other,” she told HuffPost. Yarber also has daughters ages 9 and 1.

Yarber's sister, Ruby Hawkins, told The Guardian that police frequently targeted her brother.

“They are the biggest criminals. They are bullies with badges … I don’t know how you can fear for your life with a person that is moving away from you,” she said.

Merritt, the family’s lawyer, wrote on Facebook that the shooting was ” the worse case of excessive and unnecessary force I have seen in my career.”

“The Yarber family deserves answers in the form of transparency by the Barstow Police Department,” he said. “Body, dash and surveillance video must be turned over to my office immediately. The San Bernardino County district attorney must throughly investigate and zealously prosecute the gunman involved.”

Yarber’s killing comes amid continuing protests against the Sacramento police shooting of Stephon Clark, also an unarmed black man, who was gunned down in his backyard in March.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unarmed-b...160750269.html

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=WesternChamp;18685723]
              Originally posted by CleneloAlvaroid View Post

A post shared by lilduval (@lilduval) on

See that there slick southpaw.

Comment

Working...
              X