No announcement yet.

If everything was equal who wins these match ups

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
    Interesting take. I never really looked at it that way. So, if you think about it, when people use the argument "If everything was equal fighter a would beat fighter b." They aren't looking at the totality of each fighter and how different Fighter A and Fighter B would be in each particular weight class. Let's take GGG vs Crawford for example. On this site, I have seen many people say that if Crawford was a natural 160 pounder he would beat Golovkin due to being the more skilled fighter. But they never take into consideration the fact that, most of the time, that higher weights are usually slower than lower weights. Usually you will have exceptions like Roy Jones and Ali who were just freaks of nature bbut generally a lightweight is going to quicker than a Middleweight, Light Heavyweight, or Heavyweight. Now at the same token, picture if Golovkin was a natural 140 or 147 pounder. Wouldn't that mean that he would be a lot faster and explosive since he is in a naturally smaller frame?
    Its hard to say really, but I actually would tend to agree with the guys that say Crawford would win in that hypothetical scenario. Applying the most logic I can, you have to back guys like Crawford and Lomachenko over fighters like Golovkin, why? They have more versatility, they can fight in different ways when the situation requires, and they can do it at the highest level. They are more versatile because they have more skills and more strings to their bow, those things should and would transfer to this different weight scenarios more than physical traits where it is more of a guessing game.

The fact that both those fighters have already gone up in weight in their careers and still have been just as effective highlights this ability I'm talking about.

Fighters like Golovkin, in my eyes are little different, it seems a situation where a lot of attributes come together at a single weight which allows them to be domineering at that weight. Its Golovkin's physicality, chin, durability, power, which allows him to apply his other attributes on fighters at that weight.

I am not sure I can see him doing those things to a 160lb version of Lomachenko, or Crawford or if Golovkin was their weight. The reason being is those particular fighters are special in a lot of areas, but they also don't really possess any flaws.

They are great defensively, they have solid chins, they can punch, they can fight coming forward, backward, they can fight taller fighters, shorter fighters, they can fight inside, outside, great skills, exceptional speed, timing, footwork, distance control, they literally have EVERYTHING. Like most great fighters who have gone through several weight divisions, but if you observe those fighters in their first 1 or 2 weight divisions, they are normally scary good, and they normally run out of challenges and have to move up.

You are talking about SRR, Leonard, Duran, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Armstrong, etc. etc.

Comment

Spence vs Rigodeaux-Spence
      Crawford vs Ward-Ward
      Loma vs Floyd-Floyd
      Duran vs Hagler-Duran
      Thurman vs Golovkin-GGG
      Porter vs Canelo-Canelo
      Kovalev vs Hearns -Hearns
      Pacquiao vs Leonard -Leonard
      Chocalotito vs Willie Pep -pep
      Ray Robinson vs Ali-Ali

yep......

Comment

If these selected fighters were naturally the same weight as the other one who would win the match up?
        Spence vs Rigodeaux
        Crawford vs Ward
        Loma vs Floyd
        Duran vs Hagler
        Thurman vs Golovkin
        Porter vs Canelo
        Kovalev vs Hearns
        Pacquiao vs Leonard
        Chocalotito vs Willie Pep
        Ray Robinson vs Ali
        too many to go thru now 4 me.But one that stood out to me is PEP boxing rings around a very good but slow footed CHOC.Also Hearns catches Kov with big right.Kov not used to having somone with reach like his but with more speed and better 1 punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sincingship View Post
          If they were all an equal weight they would have developed their skills differently
          true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
            Spence vs Rigodeaux-Spence
            Crawford vs Ward-Ward
            Loma vs Floyd-Floyd
            Duran vs Hagler-Duran
            Thurman vs Golovkin-GGG
            Porter vs Canelo-Canelo
            Kovalev vs Hearns -Hearns
            Pacquiao vs Leonard -Leonard
            Chocalotito vs Willie Pep -pep
            Ray Robinson vs Ali-Ali

yep......
            I don't agree with Spence - Rigo.

Most of everything else I agree. Not sure about Canelo vs Porter, simply because Porter has such a ridiculous engine and a great chin.

I think most people would pick SRR over Ali, but I actually like the Ali pick, he was such a fast heavyweight, if he was a welterweight he might have been faster than the Millennium Falcon. Either way the fight is an absolute blood bath.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              I don't agree with Spence - Rigo.

Most of everything else I agree. Not sure about Canelo vs Porter, simply because Porter has such a ridiculous engine and a great chin.

I think most people would pick SRR over Ali, but I actually like the Ali pick, he was such a fast heavyweight, if he was a welterweight he might have been faster than the Millennium Falcon. Either way the fight is an absolute blood bath.
              I picked Spence over Rigo because of the pressure and the body work,Canelo-Porter is the easiest pick IMO Canelo is about 10 levels above porter and just as tough

Comment

Explain????
                Just like Basketball..if you are comparing a 6 foot fighter to a 7 foot fighter they would have trained differently

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  Its hard to say really, but I actually would tend to agree with the guys that say Crawford would win in that hypothetical scenario. Applying the most logic I can, you have to back guys like Crawford and Lomachenko over fighters like Golovkin, why? They have more versatility, they can fight in different ways when the situation requires, and they can do it at the highest level. They are more versatile because they have more skills and more strings to their bow, those things should and would transfer to this different weight scenarios more than physical traits where it is more of a guessing game.

The fact that both those fighters have already gone up in weight in their careers and still have been just as effective highlights this ability I'm talking about.

Fighters like Golovkin, in my eyes are little different, it seems a situation where a lot of attributes come together at a single weight which allows them to be domineering at that weight. Its Golovkin's physicality, chin, durability, power, which allows him to apply his other attributes on fighters at that weight.

I am not sure I can see him doing those things to a 160lb version of Lomachenko, or Crawford or if Golovkin was their weight. The reason being is those particular fighters are special in a lot of areas, but they also don't really possess any flaws.

They are great defensively, they have solid chins, they can punch, they can fight coming forward, backward, they can fight taller fighters, shorter fighters, they can fight inside, outside, great skills, exceptional speed, timing, footwork, distance control, they literally have EVERYTHING. Like most great fighters who have gone through several weight divisions, but if you observe those fighters in their first 1 or 2 weight divisions, they are normally scary good, and they normally run out of challenges and have to move up.

You are talking about SRR, Leonard, Duran, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Armstrong, etc. etc.
                  Nice take. I'm going to have to make a thread about this later.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                    Just like Basketball..if you are comparing a 6 foot fighter to a 7 foot fighter they would have trained differently
                    It's like Wilder and Hearns. They are a mirror image of each other one is just a HW

Comment

It's like Wilder and Hearns. They are a mirror image of each other one is just a HW
                      what??? how are they mirror images of each other?

Comment

Working...
                      X