Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Boxers, I need your opinion please. Age, or weight drained?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Boxers, I need your opinion please. Age, or weight drained?

I saw this punch in the GGG-Canelo rematch, and I want your opinions on if this is just age, or is GGG weight drained?

https://youtu.be/Ib0TXUr0rSw?t=539

Look how long it takes GGG to bring that left hook around. It looks like he's punching with a piano on his back. I know he's 36 years old but even for 36, that doesn't seem normal to me. That's why I'm so suspicious that either the altitude, the weight at this age, or the way Abel and GGG did the weight cut (apparently getting down to 162 a week before the weigh-in so they didn't have to cut any weight the day or two before the fight), is the real biggest factor in GGG's decline. It started barely after he hit 30, not at 35 or something. I know athletes in most sports decline right at 30 to 32, but it still seems really early to me, and the way he labors just to get his punches around looks really abnormal to me. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Boxing Logic; 05-08-2019, 08:32 PM.

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
    I saw this punch in the GGG-Canelo rematch, and I want your opinions on if this is just age, or is GGG weight drained?

Look how long it takes GGG to bring that left hook around. It looks like he's punching with a piano on his back. I know he's 36 years old but even for 36, that doesn't seem normal to me. That's why I'm so suspicious that either the altitude, the weight at this age, or the way Abel and GGG did the weight cut (apparently getting down to 162 a week before the weigh-in so they didn't have to cut any weight the day or two before the fight), is the real biggest factor in GGG's decline. It started barely after he hit 30, not at 35 or something. I know athletes in most sports decline right at 30 to 32, but it still seems really early to me, and the way he labors just to get his punches around looks really abnormal to me. Thoughts?
    I never boxed to the point of where I had to cut weight.

But I think GGG has aged very well for a boxer. He has never really taken a ton of punishment, always has taken pretty good care of himself in between fights, and seems to train the right way.

I may be in the minority of his fans who think he isn't slipping, or hasn't slipped much, from what he was. I think Canelo (1st fight) and Jacobs lasted 12 rounds because of their style - trying to not engage him and box and move and pick their spots - let's not forget that Lemieux and Stevens lasted 8 or 9 rounds and they stood in front of him. And Murray lasted 11 by moving and holding some.

I think Canelo can look exceptionally fast for a guy his size, which may have GGG looking a bit slow. And Canelo just doesn't leave a lot of openings to the body. I think for the most part the 2nd fight (and 1st to a degree) was a high level chess match with Canelo trying to stay just out of range of GGG's big shots, using his speed to get in and out and land shots and combos.

I still had GGG winning by a similar score in the 2nd fight but it was a better more competitive fight than the first. I just think Canelo has good defense in general, keeps good distance, has good power, and uses his speed well (foot body and hand speed). Combine all of those and GGG has to be a little more careful and box his way in. Canelo is good enough to keep GGG just a little off balance on the way in and it made the second fight very entertaining imo. A really nice chess match.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post

Lol that 4th round is funny btw. I have never watched the fight with any commentary, but just watched that round with it. The 1-2 minutes Canelo lands just about nothing clean and GGG is landing quite a bit, and often clean, and just boxing very well.

But at the beginning of the round the announcers are just talking about Canelo in general and don't even mention GGG's good work lol. I never really like announcers in any sport but in boxing they are almost always the worst.

Comment

He's never had fast hands, they're average for a middleweight. Adding to that, he was in the ring against a guy with very fast hands, he's gonna look slow. Just looked like he loaded up, which made it look slower.

Comment

Only the fighter knows. Being a power puncher takes more wear and tear out of you so.........?

I also remembering something about altitude as no one told me about it until I had my head punched in in my 5th fight of the night in one tournament,and lost by default...the default being punched and not defending myself as I I shook my head wondering why I got tired ,in my 5th fight . lol

Best answer is its a combination of all you mentioned, when you get older you have to train smarter and that requires not to over train which is also a option.

Comment

People will.dispute this.but when you're 36 competing with a man in his mid to late 20's and in his physical prime you will probably look slower and less explosive. Canelo also has excellent movement, speed, and is a a true technician.

He also fought in a way that I don't think anyone expected,especially Abel and golovkin. Canelo put on a great performance and showed a lot. Golovkin couldn't maintain the pace, canelo pushed and Abel clearly had no b plan (as he's shown in the past, but I do believe golovkin could've been more aggressive early on)

Altitude training could've played a factor but I believe age, there game plan, and canelos performance were the reasons the fight played out the way it did. I really don't think golovkin cuts much weight.

Comment

Did GGG cry about weight issues

If not, there's the answer.

He was 68 years old in that clip.

Comment

Working...
              X