Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on Michael Carbajal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on Michael Carbajal?

Hey guys. Just wanted to ask your thoughts on Michael Carbajal. What do you think of him, how do you rank him, any matches you would have wanted to see him against? Any fantasy matches?

I dont know that much of him, been watching few of his fights as im gonna make a highlight video of him, really entertaining fighter! Devastating puncher for that low of a weight class (light flyweight). His fight (FOTY 1993) against "Chiquita" Gonzales was absolutely amazing.

That being said, I dont know that much about 90's boxing. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on him

- -Very game for his division, and very teensy as well.

Seems to be a nice guy as well, but if I saw him on the street, I wouldn't be able to recognize him.

Comment

Carbajal? Really?

I remember "Little Hands of Stone." He was marketed as a personality. Like de la Hoya, he had a ready smile, a memorable haircut, and was a good fighter. I think he had a Pepsi endorsement pretty early.

He seemed kind of lanky (5'5" compared to Gonzalez at 5'1") and did have more power than usual in a light weight division.

He was a nice guy who sort of finished, if not last, in the middle of the pack, because he lost a few and didn't have that many fantastic fights or rivals.

Compare him to Johnny Tapia, who was also from New Mexico, also born in 1967, and almost the same height. Johnny was a wildman, raged at opponents, had rivalries, and got much more ink than Michael (and more ink ON his body as well).

Nice that you brought some attention to him, as he's a bit neglected. He had a very good KO percentage (especially for his weight) but few could remember the name of anyone he knocked out. Scotty Olson? Tommy Cordoba? He did have that mini-rivalry with Gonzalez, but neither fight ended in a KO.

Ultimately he didn't fight as often or have as many name-brand flashy KO victories as the original "Hands of Stone," Duran. But a good, solid fighter with a very, very good record. Only 4 losses (and only 2 of those in his prime, both to Gonzalez)

Comment

Carbajal was a pretty good fighter. There was a point early in his career when he wasn't knocking guys out and his power was questioned; ironic given how his career turned out. I thought Gonzalez would win their first fight. The result surprised me but I bet on Gonzalez in the rematch and got 3:1 odds. I saw that fight live, too.

Carbajal was not the most adaptable guy in the ring and that hurt him, especially when he started looking for the big shot and being less busy.

Also, he is from Phoenix, Arizona, not New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by smeck View Post
          He did have that mini-rivalry with Gonzalez, but neither fight ended in a KO.
          Uh...

Comment

Bad ass lil dude who could fight. Outside of Ricardo Lopez probably my all time favorite lil guy. Respect, love & appreciation to Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Uh...

That was a memorable fight! (Obviously, not in MY memory, though). It showed that Michael wasn't always a "nice" guy (loved him sticking his tongue out) and he was a gutsy performer. Carbajal at his best.
              The two other fights with Gonzalez weren't much, but yes, it was a trilogy, and the first one is a classic. Carbajal should be better remembered (and I say this with brain-fogged humility...)

Comment

Always a game fighter carbajal was. He was another guy who never cheated himself of the sport. A real pro.
                I loved his fight with my vida loca.
                Michael Carbajal got the most out of himself.
                Excellent fighter

Comment

Excellent fighter and one of my favorites to watch. His fights with Gonzalez, Arce and Pastrano were all great fights against excellent comp.

Comment

One of the greats.

Carbajal brought lot of attention to the smaller weights in the 90s.

Comment

Working...
                    X