did you enjoy joe calzaghe fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBoxingfan101 View Post
    not really, hes just boring always getting 12 round decisions
    Calzaghe has a higher KO ratio than Pacquiao, the figures in my sig are probably lower for PAC now seeing as he hasn’t KO’d anyone in years.

Say whatever you want about level of competition, but ‘always getting 12 round decisions’ clearly shows YDKSA Calzaghe other than maybe watching a few of his last fights.

Comment

Originally posted by NorvernRob View Post
      Calzaghe has a higher KO ratio than Pacquiao, the figures in my sig are probably lower for PAC now seeing as he hasn’t KO’d anyone in years.

Say whatever you want about level of competition, but ‘always getting 12 round decisions’ clearly shows YDKSA Calzaghe other than maybe watching a few of his last fights.
      yea against tomato cans

Comment

yep hes my favorite fighter from the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgames View Post
          Nope, because although Calzaghe may have been ranked one, on proven form, and they didn't remove him from that spot preemptively, Lacy was the favourite for the fight and the vast majority of experts and polls picked him to beat Calzaghe. He was considered the better fighter at the time. Better than the man who they considered there for the taking. Most chose Lacy by knockout. You'd make a good religious fundamentalist, because you are very concerned with what it says on paper. But none of it changes that Lacy was considered the main man and best fighter in the division when Calzaghe fought him. And the guy who they had number one on paper, just because he was more established and had earned it, was considered the inferior fighter and expected to lose. That makes the other guy number one.
          No he wasn't. That's just a lie.

Name me a list that had Lacy as #1. There isn't one.

You can repeat it as many times as you want it won't change the fact Lacy was never ranked #1 at SMW by any list.

Comment

Originally posted by NorvernRob View Post

All that does is identify how misleading KO Ratio's can be.

Anyone with a functioning brain knows Pacquaio's hits WAY harder than Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              No he wasn't. That's just a lie.

Name me a list that had Lacy as #1. There isn't one.

You can repeat it as many times as you want it won't change the fact Lacy was never ranked #1 at SMW by any list.
              You're obsessed with your own definition of what number one means. Calzaghe was number one on the lists because he was much longer established, but Lacy was rated the number on fighter at the weight because he was the consensus choice as the better fighter, favourite for the fight and betting favourite. Just like your definition of "the Man" is Lineal Champion. The common definition of number one is the consensus best fighter in the division. That's why you wouldve called Foreman the "man" or number one in 1995 but nobody in their right mind thought he was a better fighter than Riddick Bowe or Lennox Lewis, or even a few others. Pretend you don't understand what I'm saying, keep harping on about the Ring magazine, but the fact was Lacy was the favourite and considered the better fighter, hence the polls and the odds prefight.But carry on..

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                All that does is identify how misleading KO Ratio's can be.

Anyone with a functioning brain knows Pacquaio's hits WAY harder than Calzaghe.
                Not according to Eubank or Roy Jones, both said Joe was a hard puncher. He had well publicised hand trouble, but still punched alot harder than a man who never even knocked out a real welterweight. A man who Oscar Delahoya said punched like bee stings.

Comment

I rewatch that first round of Hopkins vs. Calzaghe when I need a laugh.

Comment

I don't rate him that highly historically like a lot of fans but yeah I enjoyed watching him fight. Kessler, Lacy, Mitchell, Eubank, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgames View Post
                      You're obsessed with your own definition of what number one means. Calzaghe was number one on the lists because he was much longer established, but Lacy was rated the number on fighter at the weight because he was the consensus choice as the better fighter, favourite for the fight and betting favourite. Just like your definition of "the Man" is Lineal Champion. The common definition of number one is the consensus best fighter in the division. That's why you wouldve called Foreman the "man" or number one in 1995 but nobody in their right mind thought he was a better fighter than Riddick Bowe or Lennox Lewis, or even a few others. Pretend you don't understand what I'm saying, keep harping on about the Ring magazine, but the fact was Lacy was the favourite and considered the better fighter, hence the polls and the odds prefight.But carry on..
                      No I am going by the literal definition of what being ranked #1 means which is being #1 on a rankings list.

You have this backwards idea that because he was the bookies favourite that he was ranked #1 in the division when the reason he was the favourite could be a number of reasons it doesn't magically move his ranking to #1.

He was not ranked #1 by any list. Not a single one. That's a fact and will never change. To say he was consensus #1 is a lie. To say he was ranked #1 at all is a lie.

No, "the man" is a common term used to describe the Lineal Champion and has been for a long time. "The man who beat the man". You saying Lacy was "the man" implies he was the Lineal Champion which he wasn't.

Not Lineal Champion, not #1 in the divison. These are literally facts.

Comment

Working...
                      X