Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

One guy asked me, "is this how every single boxing fight is?"

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.

well this is it, this is the effect of watching mayweather in your teenage years

Comment

Mayweather does the same thing for 12 rounds that Keith did for 3, yet gets a pass.

Comment

impress the crowd?? nah.... i just do "money" mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.
          Respect man
          Spoken from the heart

It's the way boxing is becoming domesticated

Floyd mayweather did not do the sport any good

Now fighters expect ludicrous money for fighting sub par competition

Big fights barely happen "due to fighter a thinking they deserve more than fighter b"
          And there are these troll fans that just feed that *****
          It's ridiculous

It's a business doe

I mean look at Andre ward, omg what a fking diva

Man whatever
          I can't even be.bothered to ramble
          Too much to go into

Comment

Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
            Mayweather does the same thing for 12 rounds that Keith did for 3, yet gets a pass.
            By people that enjoy and follow boxing? He does like Thurman does too. The casuals hate on Mayweather too.

Watching boxing with casuals is so ****ing annoying, when Haye got injured my friend who knows **** all says Haye's faking because he read online Haye makes excuses. I tried explaining that makes no sense because he was winning the fight, he was having none of it, i felt like punching the **** for being a ******.

Comment

impress the crowd?? nah.... i just do "money" mayweather
              Part of the problem is most boxing fans are never satisfied. Usually after the knock out, people start to criticize the level of opposition to degrade the fighter's (fill in the blank) accomplishment.

I understand fully why fighters don't try to impress fans.....

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                By people that enjoy and follow boxing? He does like Thurman does too. The casuals hate on Mayweather too.
                Hardocre fans give Mayweather a pass but not Keith.

Watching boxing with casuals is so ****ing annoying, when Haye got injured my friend who knows **** all says Haye's faking because he read online Haye makes excuses. I tried explaining that makes no sense because he was winning the fight, he was having none of it, i felt like punching the **** for being a ******.
                LOL'd at your story. I guess you should enjoy the fight and let casuals make their own mind up.

Just nod along and treat them like children.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

I feel you 100% on this. For the sake of the sport in the public eye, it was unfortunate that Garcia did not end up making the fight as competitive as Porter was able to, or at the least it sucks that Thurman didn't open up more.

I think in the US the enthusiasm for boxing amongst casuals has simmered down quite a bit after a few big fight duds.

While fighters like AJ, Canelo and GGG have been doing great at putting butts in seats, in the bigger picture there aren't really many boxers that can attract and hold onto the bulk of fight fan casuals.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-07-2017, 04:27 AM.

Comment

How hardcore fans saw it: A tactical, at times cautious chess match between two A level, in their prime undefeated champions

How casuals saw it: A bore fest between two no name nobodies that they'll never ever give two ****s about who wasted an hour they could've spent watching Sportscenter highlights of the NBA and NFL combine

Comment

Working...
                    X