Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thurman's Power is the real deal!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't feel Thurman's power is that impressive, i've seen Porter knocked down at least twice in the amateurs and Emilio Correa knock him out.
    Porter's chin is awesome tho.
    I feel his overall skill is underrated, but his power isn't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
      I don't feel Thurman's power is that impressive, i've seen Porter knocked down at least twice in the amateurs and Emilio Correa knock him out.
      Porter's chin is awesome tho.
      I feel his overall skill is underrated, but his power isn't that good.
      I've seen Porter go down a couple of times as well, against Correa and Wade, but those guys are a lot bigger than him. I don't see anybody at 147 stopping him, you can't take him out with a single shot and he's way too durable and athletic to get broken down.

Porter is used to fighting way bigger guys, he beat Usyk, Andrade, Jacobs, Estrada etc in the amateurs, I definitely agree about his skill being underrated. He's a very solid boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pimper View Post
        I see Porter still salty over the schooling that the SPECIAL ONE Kell Brook gave him.
        He is not even talking about Brook.

Don't know what schooling you are talking about when the guy held for his life and got a MD.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
          I've seen Porter go down a couple of times as well, against Correa and Wade, but those guys are a lot bigger than him. I don't see anybody at 147 stopping him, you can't take him out with a single shot and he's way too durable and athletic to get broken down.

Porter is used to fighting way bigger guys, he beat Usyk, Andrade, Jacobs, Estrada etc in the amateurs, I definitely agree about his skill being underrated. He's a very solid boxer.
          You have the Correa fight?, i never saw the fight.
          But yeah Porter used to fight huge guys for him, he was a welterweight at 15-16, he is huge for a welterweight, so i agree no one is stopping him in the pro ranks, i give Spence a chance tough considering how good he is at closing the show.
          I was referring to Keith when i said his skill is underrated and his power isn't that good, but the same can be used to Porter, Thurman is probably a more skilled and harder puncher than Porter with Porter being the braver one.

Comment

True one hit guys are pretty rare in the scheme of things. Thurman is'nt one of those guys, but his power is nasty. The fact Shawn did'nt get sparked out in the fight is a testament to his chin, because he ate some seriously sick shots. Also not sure why people bring up Broner. Do people forget that he had to come in at 144? Do people not understand what that does to your punch resistance when you are obviously draining yourself to a raisin?

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              You have the Correa fight?, i never saw the fight.
              But yeah Porter used to fight huge guys for him, he was a welterweight at 15-16, he is huge for a welterweight, so i agree no one is stopping him in the pro ranks, i give Spence a chance tough considering how good he is at closing the show.
              I was referring to Keith when i said his skill is underrated and his power isn't that good, but the same can be used to Porter, Thurman is probably a more skilled and harder puncher than Porter with Porter being the braver one.
              I hadn't seen it until a few months ago, I was looking for it for ages after seeing this thread: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=349646

I saw a GIF of it a few months ago on twitter but now I can't find it. It was a typical amateur stoppage, Porter could've continued.

With Thurman, he's got good skill but he lacks some really key fundamentals that stop him from being A level imo, he's got no jab and his right hand is telegraphed and not straight enough. He makes up for it with great legs, speed, power and hooks, but against certain styles, you're gonna need a good jab. Still, I don't see many at 147 beating Keith, I would favour Spence and Brook over him, that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                I hadn't seen it until a few months ago, I was looking for it for ages after seeing this thread: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=349646

I saw a GIF of it a few months ago on twitter but now I can't find it. It was a typical amateur stoppage, Porter could've continued.

With Thurman, he's got good skill but he lacks some really key fundamentals that stop him from being A level imo, he's got no jab and his right hand is telegraphed and not straight enough. He makes up for it with great legs, speed, power and hooks, but against certain styles, you're gonna need a good jab. Still, I don't see many at 147 beating Keith, I would favour Spence and Brook over him, that's about it.
                Yeah i commented in that thread too.

Thurman is good, but he just lacks the thing that separates the elite from the rest, i still like him and he is a fun fighter with the right attitude, but Spencer has the material to be an undisputed champ.

Comment

I can't believe Porter never went down from some of the shots Thurman cracked him with. His willpower and chin were incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                    Broner barely threw punches and dropped him hard. Brook also stiffened his legs with an uppercut.

He never really took a step back against Thurman and it was a toss-up fight, seems like a clever way of talking yourself up.
                    Thurman buckled him at least once and visibly hurt him a few times. And Porter got up quickly and without issue against Broner. That was as flash a KD as KDs get.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      I can't believe Porter never went down from some of the shots Thurman cracked him with. His willpower and chin were incredible.

The mind boggles when you see some of the shots he took, even if Thurman wasn't a big puncher, some of those flush punches he landed in the exchanges would've KO'd most fighters. Like Pauli said during commentary, guys are usually unconscious before they even hit the canvas after taking shots like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X