Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Peter vs The Fringe contenders of the 1990s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarry wasn't a belt holder and he would have an easy time with Peter stylistically. You could not find an easier match-up for Jerry on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      Quarry wasn't a belt holder and he would have an easy time with Peter stylistically. You could not find an easier match-up for Jerry on paper.
      i thought quarry vs patterson was a title fight?
      yes but we all know fights arent won paper

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
        OK Peter looked like complete **** against the Klits,but c'mon,those 90s contender aren't that good.

Look at Peter's fight against Toney,he has decent skills,ok it's ****in Toney,but C'mon,Ruddock was trash,so was Morrison,and so was Golota.
        Golota get beat by Grant.

Chambers outboxed Peter but Chambers is way faster than the guys you named.

Witherspoon would beat Peter but "ko him clean out"?
        I don't think so.
        Don't think he's more powefull than Wlad.
        how is Golota trash? he arguably beat both Ruiz and Byrd, and Byrd was actually considered the best in the division at the time I think...(Im not sure if Vitali had gone into retirement yet or not). and Golota was never prime again after the Bowe fights, and getting on in age by that time.
        even someone like a near 40 Grant still gave Adamek a hard time, and Adamek is a top 5 heavyweight in today's division.

styles make fights: McCline dropped Peter three times while Wladimir didnt(in the first fight). why? because McCline threw an uppercut, and thats not really part of Wlad's arsenal. Ruddock had very powerful uppercuts, so I also think he would take out Peter with relative ease.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
          how is Golota trash? he arguably beat both Ruiz and Byrd, and Byrd was actually considered the best in the division at the time I think...(Im not sure if Vitali had gone into retirement yet or not). and Golota was never prime again after the Bowe fights, and getting on in age by that time.
          even someone like a near 40 Grant still gave Adamek a hard time, and Adamek is a top 5 heavyweight in today's division.

styles make fights: McCline dropped Peter three times while Wladimir didnt(in the first fight). why? because McCline threw an uppercut, and thats not really part of Wlad's arsenal. Ruddock had very powerful uppercuts, so I also think he would take out Peter with relative ease.
          Wladimir also hurt and finished off Peter with uppercuts (a punch he isn't know for using) after starting to time him. Steward must have told Wladimir to use the uppercut, knowing that Peter leans forward all the time. Wladimir's attempts were rather crude early on to be honest but Peter is just so easy to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
            i thought quarry vs patterson was a title fight?
            yes but we all know fights arent won paper
            You can throw names in from any era. From ATG's to good to fringe.

I personally just fail to see how we need to analyse anything here.

Peter is just a very very average fighter. Slow, clumsy and predictable. Peter gets bent over in any era just as he has by most fighters of note in this era. The fact he dropped Wlad is more an indication of Wlads frailty in the whiskers depo than of Peter's prowess.

The Vitali that fought Lewis hands him his ass inside 6.

Norton beats him, Holmes smashes him to a standstill. Most of the names thrown up in this thread do the same.

I can cope with posters making claims about the Klits potential standing in the ATG list (although many a pundit has been made to look foolish when rating active fighters) but how the **** Sam ****in Peter crops up in this section defies belief.

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
              i actually think peter would've did great in the 70's.i could very easily see him steam rolling a guy like norton.i could also see him beating quarry who was a belt holder.i could also see him beating guys like greg page,pinklon thomas and trevor berbick.like i said i dont think he's good enough to have a long run but i think he could beat alotta titlist of the past.
              Quarry would take care of Sam Peter within 3rds Quarry was an excellent counter-puncher with a granite chin, Peter's power would be meaningless to Quarry who hammered Shavers, Lyle & Mac Foster all who punched far harder than Sam Peter.. Quarry v Peter would be a mismatch in Quarry's favor.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                Quarry would take care of Sam Peter within 3rds Quarry was an excellent counter-puncher with a granite chin, Peter's power would be meaningless to Quarry who hammered Shavers, Lyle & Mac Foster all who punched far harder than Sam Peter.. Quarry v Peter would be a mismatch in Quarry's favor.

Agreed and agreed.

Comment

Quarry would have stopped Peter, agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    you are not very clued-up on the 80s & 90s heavyweight scene as like GreatA said, Witherspoon lay-down against Smith so as to get out of his contract with Don King, Bonecrusher was a very decent fighter with a pole-of-a-jab and could throw a huge right hand.. Sam Peter would be bounced around like a basketball by Bonecrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon had the same weapons as Smith only better and he was also very ring-smart, i don't Peter lasting past 6rds against Terrible Tim.. Razor Ruddock although not as good as Spoon & Bonecrusher he still had far to much strength and punching power for Sam Peter who i dont think would make much impact in their era.
                    lol,,do you ever pick against the older fighters? you seem very biased altho in this case you may be right

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                      lol,,do you ever pick against the older fighters? you seem very biased altho in this case you may be right
                      That's the problem when you have a division that's currently way down. These things run in cycles and while the Heavies suck now the division may be very 5 years from now.....you just never know. Hell, a division that's terrific right now might be in the dumpster 5 from now.

In this case, it's not like the 90s were the dark ages: It's within the relatively recent memory of most poster on Boxing Scene. It just happens to be the last era that was really good for Heavies.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X