Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao-Clottey buys estimated at 650-700,000

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hope it did 50k because people who watched this **** will not buy another ppv soon

Comment

Originally posted by statosteve View Post
      With no HBO "24/7" dedicated to the event, an unknown B-side fighter in the main event, and an undercard that while not notably weak certainly didn't help matters, industry chatter is that the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey fight last weekend did around 650,000 pay-per-view buys in the United States, with the final number likely to be near 700,000.

Even the highest end number there (700K) would put it well below recent numbers for major "event" fights. Last year, Hatton-Pacquiao did around 825K, followed by Mayweather-Marquez at 1 million and Cotto-Pacquiao at 1.25 million. But I'd also say that this shouldn't have been unexpected, and it should be considered a success and testament to Pacquiao's drawing power.

Perhaps most importantly, this could prove to be roadblock No. 732 in making Mayweather-Pacquiao ever happen. Without any question, the buys for Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s fight with Shane Mosley on May 1 will obliterate this number. If all really goes well, Mosley-Mayweather could triple the buys for Pacquiao-Clottey, which would mean there is absolutely no way in hell that the Mayweather camp will acquiesce to a 50/50 split with Pacquiao if they ever get back to the negotiating table. I think Pacquiao-Mosley could've done great numbers, too, but the fact of the matter is that Mayweather was able to line up the better fight commercially, and it's also the better fight in terms of challenge. It may have been more happenstance than anything, but to the victor goes the spoils and all that.

Mayweather, should he beat Mosley and negotiate with Pacquiao, will probably look for at least a 60/40 split at this point. If he and Mosley do really mega numbers, around two million buys or so (which is not as out of the question as it might seem to some, I believe), then he might even open with something absurd like 70/30.

To get back to the Pacquiao-Clottey number itself, though, it's really pretty incredible when you think about it. The man has grown into a serious superstar. I'm sure there will be the dullards that laugh about this number as though it's some sort of "proof" of something heinous or disastrous, but think back to March 2008, when Pacquiao rematched Juan Manuel Marquez. In boxing circles, that fight was just about 100 times more highly anticipated than Pacquiao-Clottey, at least as I remember it. That fight sold to about 400,000 homes, which was an incredible number, and still a record for a main event fight with boxers that size (they were at 130 for that fight).

Now, with Clottey, who not only isn't a mainstream fighter by any stretch, but also doesn't have the incredible Mexican boxing fan following, Pacquiao has sold at least 650,000 or so PPVs. We're talking about at least a quarter million more people buying Pacquiao-Clottey than the highly-anticipated Marquez-Pacquiao II. Not bad.
      For boxing's sake I hop it makes a million buys but I do not know where you got those numbers. You must be repeating what Bob Arum is been telling everybody with not proof. Just came of the AP and didn't see anything on this

Comment

Originally posted by Pwrpinoy View Post
        This fight will prove beyond a doubt that Manny is the bigger draw between him and Mayweather. That gives him the proper bargaining power. No way does Mayweather get a 50/50 deal now. The only people that truly like Matyweather are the Malt liquor, purple kool aid crowd. And they can't even afford Pay per view.
        you're disgusting

Comment

With no HBO "24/7" dedicated to the event, an unknown B-side fighter in the main event, and an undercard that while not notably weak certainly didn't help matters, industry chatter is that the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey fight last weekend did around 650,000 pay-per-view buys in the United States, with the final number likely to be near 700,000.

Even the highest end number there (700K) would put it well below recent numbers for major "event" fights. Last year, Hatton-Pacquiao did around 825K, followed by Mayweather-Marquez at 1 million and Cotto-Pacquiao at 1.25 million. But I'd also say that this shouldn't have been unexpected, and it should be considered a success and testament to Pacquiao's drawing power.

Perhaps most importantly, this could prove to be roadblock No. 732 in making Mayweather-Pacquiao ever happen. Without any question, the buys for Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s fight with Shane Mosley on May 1 will obliterate this number. If all really goes well, Mosley-Mayweather could triple the buys for Pacquiao-Clottey, which would mean there is absolutely no way in hell that the Mayweather camp will acquiesce to a 50/50 split with Pacquiao if they ever get back to the negotiating table. I think Pacquiao-Mosley could've done great numbers, too, but the fact of the matter is that Mayweather was able to line up the better fight commercially, and it's also the better fight in terms of challenge. It may have been more happenstance than anything, but to the victor goes the spoils and all that.

Mayweather, should he beat Mosley and negotiate with Pacquiao, will probably look for at least a 60/40 split at this point. If he and Mosley do really mega numbers, around two million buys or so (which is not as out of the question as it might seem to some, I believe), then he might even open with something absurd like 70/30.

To get back to the Pacquiao-Clottey number itself, though, it's really pretty incredible when you think about it. The man has grown into a serious superstar. I'm sure there will be the dullards that laugh about this number as though it's some sort of "proof" of something heinous or disastrous, but think back to March 2008, when Pacquiao rematched Juan Manuel Marquez. In boxing circles, that fight was just about 100 times more highly anticipated than Pacquiao-Clottey, at least as I remember it. That fight sold to about 400,000 homes, which was an incredible number, and still a record for a main event fight with boxers that size (they were at 130 for that fight).

Now, with Clottey, who not only isn't a mainstream fighter by any stretch, but also doesn't have the incredible Mexican boxing fan following, Pacquiao has sold at least 650,000 or so PPVs. We're talking about at least a quarter million more people buying Pacquiao-Clottey than the highly-anticipated Marquez-Pacquiao II. Not bad.

mayweather v mosley will be alot more

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
            For boxing's sake I hop it makes a million buys but I do not know where you got those numbers. You must be repeating what Bob Arum is been telling everybody with not proof. Just came of the AP and didn't see anything on this
            bad left hook . com

Comment

Originally posted by Pwrpinoy View Post
              This fight will prove beyond a doubt that Manny is the bigger draw between him and Mayweather. That gives him the proper bargaining power. No way does Mayweather get a 50/50 deal now. The only people that truly like Matyweather are the Malt liquor, purple kool aid crowd. And they can't even afford Pay per view.
              Reading this post is a self-esteem booster.

Comment

pbf vs ssm is gunna piss all over that lol
                no ****. theyre the two best american boxers. of course theyll do more then two non americans

Comment

Originally posted by KILLA RIGHT View Post
                  i hope it did 50k because people who watched this **** will not buy another ppv soon
                  Don't worry man. About 550K of those buys came from Filipino-Americans, so it's not like they're buying any other PPVs anyway unless Pakyo is fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
                    Pacquiaos populairt is at an all-time high because he's an "exciting fighter" + the addition of cowboy stadium + p4p#1 (lol) and he does 650-700k

LOL...

some cash cow.
                    didnt u read the 1st post? please read it again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Impaler View Post
                      Don't worry man. About 550K of those buys came from Filipino-Americans, so it's not like they're buying any other PPVs anyway unless Pakyo is fighting.
                      yeah at least all filipino americans could stand behind this man and you can definitely not say the same about floyd.

Comment

Working...
                      X