No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mike Tyson Reacts To Wilder's Prediction of Beating Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Fury is 6’9” and around 260lbs, with an 85” reach. He’s a big guy. Wilder is 6’7” 215lbs, with an 83” reach. Wilder dropped Fury, the bigger, taller man, twice, pretty hard. Luis Ortiz is 6’4”, 240lbs, with a 78” reach, also the bigger man, KO’ed twice by the smaller, chicken legged Wilder.

Tyson in his prime, let’s say “1985-1990”, was 5’10”, 215lbs, with a 71” reach. For reference, Douglas was 6’4” with an 83” reach, and weighed 260lbs.

Tyson barely had the reach of a welterweight-middleweight. Mayweather 73”, Crawford 74”, Spence 72”, GGG 70”, SRL 74”, Canelo 70 and a half.

Tyson fought in the wrong era. He just missed the era of boxing where HW’s were closer to his physical size/height. Lots of respect for Tyson for having the record he ended up with, and achieving what he did, despite his physical limitations. What he did is really HARD to do. And the best highlight videos of boxing imo, are still Roy Jones Jr and Mike Tyson. If you want to show someone how exciting boxing is, you show them highlights of RJ and Tyson. Those two will win over any skeptic that thinks boxing is boring.

But this era is even worse than the one he fought in, in terms of size/height. Top HW’s are even bigger and taller than what Tyson was struggling with in the 90s, and they’re more athletic than the big, tall tomato cans he was fighting.
    Being short also has it’s advantages. For example leaving a chin much more open for counters. Tyson would rush, Wilder is a stiff fighter, he can’t stutter step great, especially not against Tyson and he wouldn’t be able to get that right off proper, he likes to just stiff arm people and use strength(thus the stiffness) to maintain his range. He would get slipped on with that left arm out and blitzed without a clue as to what’s happening, Wilder does not have a good, reactive and attentive defense, it’s his length. Height and weight wouldn’t save Wilder or Ortiz from guys like Tyson or Holyfield. Wilder is also so fuking open to bodyshots.

And that body that comes in about as heavy as Tyson, jesus. Wilder wouldn’t beat Tyson, he didn’t have it. Tyson also had a great chin, he can for sure take some, but I really doubt Wilder would ever land a perfect shot on him.

The era is the weakest it has ever been. It’s a lot of out of shape guys and the few in shape guys winning. Besides Fury most of these guys are stiff idiots too, barely know how to move their heads, throw combo’s or use footwork.
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 02-18-2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Fury is 6’9” and around 260lbs, with an 85” reach. He’s a big guy. Wilder is 6’7” 215lbs, with an 83” reach. Wilder dropped Fury, the bigger, taller man, twice, pretty hard. Luis Ortiz is 6’4”, 240lbs, with a 78” reach, also the bigger man, KO’ed twice by the smaller, chicken legged Wilder.

Tyson in his prime, let’s say “1985-1990”, was 5’10”, 215lbs, with a 71” reach. For reference, Douglas was 6’4” with an 83” reach, and weighed 260lbs.

Tyson barely had the reach of a welterweight-middleweight. Mayweather 73”, Crawford 74”, Spence 72”, GGG 70”, SRL 74”, Canelo 70 and a half.

Tyson fought in the wrong era. He just missed the era of boxing where HW’s were closer to his physical size/height. Lots of respect for Tyson for having the record he ended up with, and achieving what he did, despite his physical limitations. What he did is really HARD to do. And the best highlight videos of boxing imo, are still Roy Jones Jr and Mike Tyson. If you want to show someone how exciting boxing is, you show them highlights of RJ and Tyson. Those two will win over any skeptic that thinks boxing is boring.

But this era is even worse than the one he fought in, in terms of size/height. Top HW’s are even bigger and taller than what Tyson was struggling with in the 90s, and they’re more athletic than the big, tall tomato cans he was fighting.

Great post you make a good point Tyson will be dealing with what are heavyweight giants most of his record is littered with averages of 6'3 6'4 fighters but I just dont know if wilder could handle the speed and ferociousness of a young Tyson in the early rounds and Tyson will hunt him down and I feel wilder really needs the fight to be at his pace setting up with the jab having distance to let go of that right hand and add to that Tyson will be down low and I wouldnt say wilder is the most accurate puncher going

My money would have to be on Tyson still but if it went longer than 6 wilder could very likely put his lights out he didnt seem to like being in deep waters and teddy atlas I guess would know better than most that Tyson once someone stood up to him he became mentally weak during the fight
      Last edited by davef; 02-18-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I disagree with that.

3 years is just way too convenient. That’s actually rare, for a great athlete to perform at the highest level for 3 years.

Mike Trout (baseball) has been performing at an ATG level for 9 years now.

Lebron James has been performing at the top level for his entire career.

Brett Favre, Tom Brady performed like all stars into their 40s.

Once Pacquiao entered his prime, he performed at the top level for 15 years. Mayweather too. Jones jr was prime for over a decade. Hopkins performed at the top level for 20 years.

3 year prime for a great boxer is non existent. That’s not even considered great. Longevity is a criteria for greatness.
        Neither Mayweather, Pac, Jones nor Hopkins performed at THEIR peak level for all those years. Yes, they were dominant fighters (hence why they are legends of the sport), but they were not their best versions of themselves for all of those years. For those true elite level fighters, even 60% of their peak was enough to compete with other world class fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeljuice View Post
          How would Wilder possibly last long enough to cue up one of his big shots? He would be taken apart in seconds.
          Absolutely no chance that Wilder would win, Tyson was terrifying, he came out from the first bell and was like a wild animal.

Wilder has never faced anybody close to Mike Tyson, I don't think there has ever been another boxer quite like him. He was out of some horror film, a monster.
          This isn’t Mike Tyson’s punchout. How many fights would have u bet that’d he’d blow his opponent out in seconds and it never happened? Dude went 12 with Mitch Blood Green. Pinklon Thomas. Bone crusher. Wars with Ruddock. Tyson’s career is underperformance against the odds. I don’t know how old u are, but if u got to see sum of his fights live how well did u fare on ur predictions? This is boxing. Tyson got knocked out hard in his first defeat. He fought tough, but Douglas certainly didn’t see a monster from a horror film. Douglas got up and came back, planted Tyson. Evander isn’t afraid of anybody and all he ever wanted was his hands on Tyson. Tyson’s best moment was in the first seconds of the fight, but was thoroughly beaten every minute since then. Nobody is super human, nobody is a horror film monster. Tyson had not seen the likes of the people who beat him is more accurate. I’m no hater, I had the video game, rented the greatest hits, had his posters. Study his fights, watch him head to toe, see why he never did as well as a lot thought he’d do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
            This isn’t Mike Tyson’s punchout. How many fights would have u bet that’d he’d blow his opponent out in seconds and it never happened? Dude went 12 with Mitch Blood Green. Pinklon Thomas. Bone crusher. Wars with Ruddock. Tyson’s career is underperformance against the odds. I don’t know how old u are, but if u got to see sum of his fights live how well did u fare on ur predictions? This is boxing. Tyson got knocked out hard in his first defeat. He fought tough, but Douglas certainly didn’t see a monster from a horror film. Douglas got up and came back, planted Tyson. Evander isn’t afraid of anybody and all he ever wanted was his hands on Tyson. Tyson’s best moment was in the first seconds of the fight, but was thoroughly beaten every minute since then. Nobody is super human, nobody is a horror film monster. Tyson had not seen the likes of the people who beat him is more accurate. I’m no hater, I had the video game, rented the greatest hits, had his posters. Study his fights, watch him head to toe, see why he never did as well as a lot thought he’d do.
            I watched Tyson fight live on TV. Hindsite shows a different story but at the time he was terrifying and the fact that his reputation was more powerful than the man himself.

Comment

Working...
            X