No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
    I was only expecting 75,000, so it obviously did better than I thought it would. However, the new face of boxing, as some have called GGG is obviously not the new face of boxing since he sold less than half the number of PPVs that Floyd Mayweather sold him in first PPV.
    Gatti was a bigger B side than Lemiuex. Wayyyy bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Thats nuts. From 1988-2006 (19yrs) there had been 11 PPV's that had 1M+ buys & none that did 2M+. From 2007-2015 (9yrs) there have been 14 PPV's that had 1M+ buys, 3 that did 2M+ buys & 1 that did 4M+ buys. If you put on competitive fights they will come, if you don't they won't.

There is zero evidence people won't buy PPV to see perceived competitive fights between top fighters. When you try to put one over on the public you tend to feel that in your PPV numbers.
      Within those 19 years, who were the prizefighters?

Within the last 9, who were the prizefighters?

Comment

150k is an interesting outcome, if that's what the real number is. A wild success would have been about 300k. That would make 200-225k a good result.

150k is a bang average number for HBO and K2. But it makes it interesting in terms of their next move.

They could say "150k, that's not enough to justify promoting any more PPVs for the time-being."

It they could say "150k, against a no-name opponent. For a Kazakh who's never been in with a star to boost his name that's very promising."

It all depends on how they read it. Remember Pac only did 200k or something against Diaz and that was after his Morales/Barrera/JMM bouts.

So honestly I don't think they'll find 150k too discouraging. I just hope it means they'll only put GGG on PPV against bigger names, instead of when he fights the Lemieuxs of this world. If he gets the Canelo fight and wins it's near certain we'll never see him on regular network tv again.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Rapidly declining market? I'm definitely rooting for PPV's demise, but boxing has broken its PPV revenue record three times during the last 8 years, twice during the last 2 years & I believe the UFC has 4 fighters (Weidman, Rousey, McGregor & Jones) who are pulling in 700k+ numbers lately which is great for them. Doesn't seem like its a rapidly declining market unless that just happened in the last 60 or so days.

If Canelo vs Cotto does 400k I think we can start talking about maybe Floyd vs Manny & Manny vs his subpar opponents pre-Floyd & Floyd vs subpar Berto post-Manny PPV's having a overall negative impact on PPV, but I think its just the formula of fights seen as lacking in competitiveness &/or hype not generating big numbers not the PPV going to ****.
          how much cotto/canelo do?

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
            LOL at FightHype the land of the GGG haters, aka the Ghetto of the internet lol. Fatass high school dropout Ben Thompson makes crap up just to keep his GoDaddy site running.

ALSO it wouldn't be Gennadys fault most boxing fans live in poverty and have to pick and choose what they spend a $60 on. We probably have the poorest fanbase in all sports.

Comment

That's awfully low for a supposedly "Rising Superstar"

Mayweather on a cruise control victory lap with no real promotion against a C grade fighter sold 3x more

Comment

Shyt gets real when you ask people to pay an extra $60 on top of their high ass cable bill.

Comment

If you think about it thought two non American fighters neither of them being Latino did 150,000 on PPV on HBO is pretty successful don't you think.

Comment

I doubt there can be any accurate & reliable numbers that fast.

I was expecting around 200k. Anything over 100k is over the breaking even point and making profit I would imagine.

Comment

• Originally posted by LomaUsykKlichko View Post
                      If you think about it thought two non American fighters neither of them being Latino did 150,000 on PPV on HBO is pretty successful don't you think.
                      Has that ever happened before?

Comment

Working...
                      X