• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this thread being made serious

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Why is this thread being made serious

because race is a big deal in a country founded on slave labor, and whose population in many urban areas [and their boxing gyms] is predominantly black.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        because race is a big deal in a country founded on slave labor, and whose population in many urban areas [and their boxing gyms] is predominantly black.
        Sounds like a topic that deserves its own thread.

Comment

• Come on, stop it. We're here to celebrate one of boxing's biggest hype jobs and douchebags getting his ass kicked.

Comment

• Comment

to say that race has nothing to do with it is completely ignorant. it's either ignorant or racist.

ask those fighters if being black had an effect on them.

joe louis' popularity with white people really came around only after he beat max schmelling. obviously you understand the global implications of that fight in 1938. those same white people turned him into a side show after his career was over, and during the war.

to discount the effect of race on the perception of jack johnson is complete ignorance. johnson was viciously hated for marrying a white woman, being wealthy. white men don't get death threats for marrying a white woman. that's racism.

frazier was seen as a polar opposite of ali, and a more "complacent" black man. that's racism.

let me guess, holmes vs cooney was one of the biggest fights ever because jerry cooney was a great challenger?

race has huge implications on boxing, especailly as you go further back in history. it always has, and it probably always will.

some [ignorant] white people have problems when they see a successful, brash black man.
              This is what irritates me on this board. You're a good poster but dude sometimes you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to this race thing. Why are you defending Broner? You really think the boxing community hates him coz his black? Do you really feel this way??? People celebrate him losing because dude is a total douchebag, plain and simple.

You have S.O.G. as you avatar for crying out loud! Ward is one of my favorite fighters, coz he doesn't act like a jerk and he carries himself well outside and inside the ring. Ward proves over and over again that he takes boxing seriously and doesn't speak ill of his opponents. Can you say the same thing about Broner?

This ain't Floyd we're talking about, this is BRONER. Let this one go dude, no need to make a huge racial debate about this, coz you're only giving Broner too much credit for even mentioning his name alongside old school greats.

Comment

• Hopefully Santa gives Broner this present this year. He needs it.

Comment

to say that race has nothing to do with it is completely ignorant. it's either ignorant or racist.

ask those fighters if being black had an effect on them.

joe louis' popularity with white people really came around only after he beat max schmelling. obviously you understand the global implications of that fight in 1938. those same white people turned him into a side show after his career was over, and during the war.

to discount the effect of race on the perception of jack johnson is complete ignorance. johnson was viciously hated for marrying a white woman, being wealthy. white men don't get death threats for marrying a white woman. that's racism.

frazier was seen as a polar opposite of ali, and a more "complacent" black man. that's racism.

let me guess, holmes vs cooney was one of the biggest fights ever because jerry cooney was a great challenger?

race has huge implications on boxing, especailly as you go further back in history. it always has, and it probably always will.

some [ignorant] white people have problems when they see a successful, brash black man.
                  I agree racism has had its part to play in boxing past and present as much as any other sport. But in this case of Adrien Broner it has nothing to do with it. If a white guy was caught ****ting on £20s in a Popeyes toilet he would get just as much abuse as AB.

Oh and I never discounted the effects of race on jack Johnson, or any other fighter. I just stated that if you are a jerk your going to get shamed no matter what. Look at prince naseem hamed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    Sounds like a topic that deserves its own thread.

i generally don't make threads.

there wouldn't be any meaningful discussion going on anyway. who in NSB can really talk about jack johnson, anyway? there's NE telling it like it is/was, and ignorant people either learning something, or becoming more ignorant and sticking their fingers in their ears.

i've got a book about jack johnson within reach.

here's what the back says:

"the most hated champion the world has ever known - negro fighter, jack johnson."

and the first sentence:

"it is difficult for fight fans today to understand what savage hatred accompanied the career of american negro boxer, jack johnson."

here's a documentary called "unforgivable blackness:"

Comment

• Originally posted by RockyIV View Post
                      I agree racism has had its part to play in boxing past and present as much as any other sport. But in this case of Adrien Broner it has nothing to do with it. If a white guy was caught ****ting on £20s in a Popeyes toilet he would get just as much abuse as AB.

Oh and I never discounted the effects of race on jack Johnson, or any other fighter. I just stated that if you are a jerk your going to get shamed no matter what. Look at prince naseem hamed.

right, and all white fighters were angels and that's why they weren't shamed
                      being white had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X