No announcement yet.

Jab practice video, please critique

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jab practice video, please critique

Just a minute or so on the heavy bag focusing on my jab.
    Ignore the straight rights and hooks for now.

If I review it myself, I'd say my chin is down and protected by my shoulder when I throw the jab. Also I tried not to flare out my elbow but perhaps I should keep the elbow in more.
    Maybe the bad points are: 1. not relaxing the shoulders 2. not adding more snap to the jab 3. not clenching the fist before impact 4. perhaps I'm bringing my hand back a little too slow 5. the jab is generally quite slow, especially on the double jab
    These are things I forgot about at the time.
    Also I suppose more movement and head movement would have been nice.

What do you think?
    thanks

Wouldn't beat yourself up too much you are still a relatively newbie.

Head movement is a bigger. Just watch your head for the whole vid. I don't see you once changing the height of your head, it stays quite static.

Agreed with the shoulders, loosen up. Easier said than done, controlling your breathing will help with this.

Comment

1. Stop bouncing. Its a flaw.

2. Bring your jab back very fast.

3. Jab in frame one, then frame 2 on the right side. If you don't know what frames are, YouTube it.

4. Always push off the opposite of the direction you're moving in. Moving to the left? Push off your right foot. Say it out loud, "jab --- together" which means: "jab" stepping left pushing off your right foot, and "together" where you bring your jab back into the chamber as you step with your right foot back into position. Do this left, right, forward, and back.

5. Tempo. Once you get your form good. Throw three jabs with heat on the 2nd one. Then maybe heat on the 3rd. Feel the momentum.

Once you get those down, post another vid showing your progress.

Comment

You're turning your hand over too early and not getting the extension on your shoulder or bringing it back quick enough.
        Its essentially a push, there is no snap in it.

When you bring it back do it by touch. Your glove should be touching your cheek/face and keep those elbows in.

Do you have a trainer? Because your stance is all kinds of wrong, a lot of pointless bouncing and you're bringing your lead foot off the ground constantly.
        You need to get your stance and basic movement corrected first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
          1. Stop bouncing. Its a flaw.

2. Bring your jab back very fast.
          These first two were my exact thoughts when I saw it.

Comment

The most fundamental error is that your weight is on your front foot. You seem to know to put a slight thrust behind your jab, but you're getting no power because your rear leg is already extended, with no weight on it. It's all physics.
            Discipline yourself so that your rear foot is only on the ball while you're punching, not between punches.
            Last edited by Redd Foxx; 09-14-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Your footwork and hands need to be synchronized. When the front foot lands so should the jab.

Comment

Something that no one has mentioned yet is that your front foot is always flat when thrusting into the jab. Leaving all the weight on your front foot doesn't allow for the quick in and out movement that you need. What you are doing now will leave you really susceptible to counters.

Agreed with what everyone else has said so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JayID View Post
                  Something that no one has mentioned yet is that your front foot is always flat when thrusting into the jab. Leaving all the weight on your front foot doesn't allow for the quick in and out movement that you need. What you are doing now will leave you really susceptible to counters.

Agreed with what everyone else has said so far.
                  Not to nerd out on you, but that was indeed said above. His putting weight on the front foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Not to nerd out on you, but that was indeed said above. His putting weight on the front foot.
                    So it was... I must have missed that!

Comment

Working...
                    X