No announcement yet.

Protein Powder?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sliceanddice View Post
    In my experienced opinion, there's no such thing as your perfect powder that will do you justice and be flexible with your needs.

This is what I, years ago, got in the habit of doing. Every other day I would take the 1/2 or 1/3 the amount recommended for my body mass, of

3.) Phytoproteins ( Whole Food sources like green veggies ... et cetera.

then take the recommended amount of

2.)Whey proteins.
    (great and powders or some food sources)

Last but most importantly, a high intake of Casein Protein (meats...)

its based on the three types of protein the male body uses the best for strength and overall Mass. And never let anyone tell you you can get away with greens, veggies (Phyto) & whey protein.

Too much Phytos is commonly known to produce " MEETs!" or

Man Teeits,
    Utter-dudes
    ManeyOobies.
    I have a shake every morning with a lot of greens (spinach, kale, zuchini, cucumber and others) and you are saying that can give you man boobs? That's wild.

Comment

I was thinking about grabbing this one off amazon
      amazon.com /dp/B071WJ38GS/

Comment

I find powder useful for if I'm busy for a day that prevents me from cooking or prepping food for the following days. I still use it from time to time after workouts or before morning cardio — other than that I get it from food since I have the time.

Optimum Nutrition Whey seemed like it was the number one powder to consume.

Comment

Ive seen guys at the gym actually eat the powder without mixing it with anything. Thats too much for me.

Comment

Optimum nutrition is a good brand for supplements. You should really consider whether you need to supplement your diet with protein or not as well. Have you calculated how much protein you consume a day? 1 gram per pound is more than enough and fairly easy to hit without supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              Ive seen guys at the gym actually eat the powder without mixing it with anything. Thats too much for me.
              I tried that once in high school and it ruined protein power for me for at least 6 months. Was a terrible idea. Way too dry to try to swallow, ended up choking on the powder lol

Comment

Originally posted by DONTRAY View Post
                I find powder useful for if I'm busy for a day that prevents me from cooking or prepping food for the following days. I still use it from time to time after workouts or before morning cardio — other than that I get it from food since I have the time.

Optimum Nutrition Whey seemed like it was the number one powder to consume.

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                Optimum nutrition is a good brand for supplements. You should really consider whether you need to supplement your diet with protein or not as well. Have you calculated how much protein you consume a day? 1 gram per pound is more than enough and fairly easy to hit without supplements.
                I've just been on a rather extreme caloric deficit for the past 2-3 months in association with my training.

I'm consuming well under 2,000 calories a day (less than 1,500 most days) on top of a lot of training at high intensity and frequency (I run 3-5 miles everyday other than sunday, and either do a recovery run, incorporate sprints, or focus full on sprinting/ I do boxing specific training for 1 hr tuesday/thur/sat and spar for 1 hr after training/and I lift 2-3 times a week on top of ab/neck work min 3 times a week).

I eat a shake each morning around 500 calories, 20 g of fat, 49g of protein (from yogurt, and other ingredients), and 25g carbs (pretty much all the carbs I'll have in a day).
                I add a lot of greens, full fat greek yogurt, coconut milk, raw turmeric/ginger, frozen fruits, chia seeds, maca, and a scoop of performance energy drink and bcaas.

I'll then eat about 3 hard boiled eggs for lunch 220 cals, 15g fat, 18g protein, 1.5 g carbs max.

And for dinner I always cook a protein and green vegetable. Steak/Salmon/Chicken usually with asparagus, broccolini or brussel sprouts. The salmon is usually about 320 cals, 12g fat 0 carbs and 48 g of protein per serving.

So that's really only 1,000 calories or so but its jam packed with a lot of fats/protein and nutrients.

I'll also have a scoop of the performance energy drink, bcaas, and have been drinking a myoplex protein drink (300 calories, 38g of protein or whatever)

I then fast until an hr after my morning run the next day (usually about 16 hrs).

So that's under 1500 calories most days, and just want to make sure I'm continuing to get that protein in with the amount of work I'm doing.

Comment

I started at 178, was down to 158 at my lowest, and am currently hovering at around 162 each morning but plan to increase my morning weight to as close to 165 (I fairly easily gain weight through lifting).

Most of the weight loss has been through cutting out alcohol completely and not consuming carbs I imagine.

Comment

The ideal protein powder is one produced by a farmer or something of that nature. It can be found, this is what you want. From Grass-fed cattle, why? Bugs, mainly. The bugs and ecosystem in the grass that the cow consumes makes for a higher amino acid profile in grass fed butters, milks, yogurts, what-have-you. Optimum Nutrition Cake Batter tastes the best and is the best for the money, bar none. But, it has artificial sweeteners and all that other bull in it.

If you're aiming for a good pre workout smoothie, get 1 organic avacado, fill up bout 6-8 oz water, I recommend heating (on stove) a tbsp coconut oil and a tbsp grass fed butter and adding this to the shake, along with 3tbsp of ground oats, 1tbsp cacao nibs, 1 tsp of chia seed, 1 tsp brown flax seed. grind that up and add in. Also add in a punch of cinnamon. this regulates blood sugar. blueberries. bananas. gotu kola is optional along with gingko biloba but I also add them. Add a teaspoon turmeric and a pinch of black pepper.

Don't forgot a 1/2 teaspoon of matcha green tea powder, teaspoon organic psyllium husk, 6 prunes, it will be thick but drink it anyway. You'll drink it for the rest of your years

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                      Most of the weight loss has been through cutting out alcohol completely and not consuming carbs I imagine.

Correct. Consuming to much carbs leads to weight gain — also alcohol to an extent. I know that from experience as I intake 6,000 calories believe it or not. I wake up at 7:00 AM so it's pretty easy for me to eat a lot. The terms "hard gainer" or "ectomorph" comes to mind.

As far as your concerns you could always check out the forums on the "BodyBuilding" site, but beware because %70 of the users on there joke around in a way which basically made me leave that forum completely. Just a heads up.
                      Last edited by DONTRAY; 03-12-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X