Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At 25 years old, is Canelo Alvarez already a borderline future Hall of Famer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    He beat Cotto, Lara, Trout, Angulo, Kirkland, Mosley and obviously the names are lacking so far at 25 years old but what he has accomplished, titilist in two weight classes, Ring champ in two weight classes. He has his biggest roadblock with Golovkin in 2016 hopefully after a testing the waters fight against a true MW like Lee or Lemiuex, then GGG. But I can't see how if he beats GGG, anyone other than Lara poses any threat to him.
    mediocre cotto is a hof.

canelo already has better wins than cotto.

Comment

He needs more wins, against great fighters.

He lost to Floyd, Floyd beat him easy.
      Kirkland and Angulo are 2 of my favorite fighters, but they are on the downside after many wars.
      Lara and Trout are good fighters, but not HOF. Lara fight could have went either way.
      Mosley was so washed up, he still couldn't get a KO.

Let's see if he actually mans up and fights GGG, before we consider him for the HOF. Hiding behind a 155 catchweight is not what a HOF fighter would do.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
        Can he get in the HOF? If he continues doing what he's doing, yes. On his record right now? No.

It's kind of sad that people would give him the nod, when he's done less than the likes of Zab Judah.
        Well, Zab's high point was becoming undisputed champion at WW in the Spinks rematch.

We will agree to disagree, but I think Canelo has already done more than Zab Judah. But i'm curious to know, I want to read your reasoning why you think Zab is better than Canelo right now. Can you go over the names Zab Judah beat? As well as his accomplishments. Because not even googling, just off the top of my head, I think Canelo already has the better career. I mean surely losing to Spinks and Baldomir in your prime is a big bump in the road. One guy has won almost every big fight, the other guy lost almost every big fight.

Comment

His names are still lacking. But I think Canelo has a gift and a curse. He has a gift because he is a very good fighter, just as good as the best fighters around him. As we saw when he narrowly beat Lara and Cotto(I thought both were close fights that Canelo won). But I think that's also his curse. He is a very good fighter, one of the best, but unfortunately for him he is just as good as the best, not better. Like he can narrowly beat GGG, in a close decision, and fans would rather speak about how GGG got robbed or whatever, rather than say "Hey, I predicted Canelo would get KO'ed. Not only did he not get KO'ed, he went the distance and the fight was close but I had GGG winning. Still props to Canelo for showing a lot of skill and determination". Nope, you know what would happen if Canelo beat Golovkin close, he won't get much credit. Like him beating Lara close and people saying Lara got robbed when that is totally false. As a huge Lara fan, Lara robbed himself of a win. Lara talked so much before the fight, to do that? To run and jab to a decision loss. Like the guy actually ran, and I think most people who use that term are ignorant boxing fans, but I admit Lara actually ran in that fight.
          If any sort of case can be made for Alvarez beating GGG, when/if they meet, then he deserves a place in the HoF. Golovkin is definitely the man at 160 and one of the most renowned boxers in the sport today. Both of 'em need each other to get their foot in the door for HoF ranking.

I agree though with how fast opinions change about certain boxers. People don't like to admit they're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
            He needs more wins, against great fighters.

He lost to Floyd, Floyd beat him easy.
            Kirkland and Angulo are 2 of my favorite fighters, but they are on the downside after many wars.
            Lara and Trout are good fighters, but not HOF. Lara fight could have went either way.
            Mosley was so washed up, he still couldn't get a KO.

Let's see if he actually mans up and fights GGG, before we consider him for the HOF. Hiding behind a 155 catchweight is not what a HOF fighter would do.
            Well Canelo has manned up twice already, not sure if you were around when he was being accused of ducking and being scared of Trout and Lara. Lara is going to end up being a more difficult fight for Canelo than the GGG fight.

It's interesting that you are kind of putting down Trout and Lara as good fighters but not HOF. Question, GGG is a good fighter but not HOF. So why is GGG better again? And what fighters have GGG fought that are close to Trout and Lara level?

Comment

He beat Cotto, Lara, Trout, Angulo, Kirkland, Mosley and obviously the names are lacking so far at 25 years old but what he has accomplished, titilist in two weight classes, Ring champ in two weight classes. He has his biggest roadblock with Golovkin in 2016 hopefully after a testing the waters fight against a true MW like Lee or Lemiuex, then GGG. But I can't see how if he beats GGG, anyone other than Lara poses any threat to him.
              So he got school vs Floyd..got a gift vs Lara. .he looked bad bc da rds he won was bc Lara took em off. .old Mosley don't even mention him..stationary Angulo was just a fight to make Canelo look good again after da Lara fight..Kirkland was inactive reason he got chosen by Oscar GB...I give him credit for da close W vs Trout even doe I didn't like da open scoring..n given him credit vs Cotto..wasn't impressed doe..he should had KO da jrMW Cotto..if Canelo is borderline then Danny García is too..he has a few gift n some good Wins..

Comment

Originally posted by sugarsmosley_ View Post
                i like ggg but canelo is the only man in boxing right now that has the star power to carry this sport

to truly ascend to superstardom he would need to beat ggg
                Yes I agree. He beat GGG he will definitely have the sport in the palm of his hands at an early age and possibly make the sport crossover in the mainstream much quicker than PBC

Comment

Why is it a revelation that he's fought good fighters when he's 25? He's had 48 fights and should be in his prime. Salvador sanchez had beaten danny lopez twice, juan laporte, wilfredo gomez and azuma nelson and was dead by 23.

Comment

It's a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                      Can he get in the HOF? If he continues doing what he's doing, yes. On his record right now? No.

It's kind of sad that people would give him the nod, when he's done less than the likes of Zab Judah.
                      Canelo already has a better resume than some of the guys who are in the hall of fame right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X