Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. Cleaned out a whole division of tough fighters at 168 winning Super 6 tourney.

2. Had the guts to move UP and take on the best at 175 and stop him!!

This is a great example of what fighters should do !

Congrats to a great champion and well respected individual!

Comment

• Didnt have anything left to prove. Beat the best at super middleweight and beat the best light heavy imo twice. Could only tarnish his legacy if he continued fighting knowing his body was on the decline. David Haye should take note of this

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        In other words .. "Because of initiatives like the Clean Boxing Program, I can no longer use the PEDs I depended on to get my body in shape throughout my career.

And after the stink thrown up by the blatent corruption surrounding my last 2 fights I can no longer depend on my promoter bribing judges and referees when I'm forced to fight tough opponents."

Good riddance to this cheating ****. Boxing will be better off without him.
        Not calling bull***** or anything, but I had no idea that there were rumors that SOG was on the gear? 16 ko's out of 30 plus fights doesn't really scream out as a PED user imo. But the Bay area was home to Conte and BALCO and Barry Bonds so who knows.

Comment

• A little disappointed to hear but he had an incredible run and deserves to enjoy his wellbeing and financial success with his family.

Best of luck with things in retirement champ

Comment

• WoW, I thought maybe two or 4 years he was going to hang them up. Maybe he just needs rest. He is still young enough to make a come back for 1 or two more. God bless the P4P King Andre "S.O.G." Ward & enjoy the time you have with the family & friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
              That's disappointing. He was just starting to look really good and had his best performance. He's only 34 too. Could have cleaned up LHW and built a good legacy.
              My exact feelings but I wish him the best in retirement, I personally felt it was a couple of fights too soon but it was clear that he's been open to exiting the sport for a while now.

Comment

• So Adonis doesn't get Ward OR Kovalev. WTH is he doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
                  He must have heard Kovalev wants a third fight...

http://andresogward.com/missionaccomplished/

SMDH

Comment

• Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    *Comes to the ring in great shape, KOs Kovalev*

"My body can't this anymore!"

to be fair, he's been boxing since he was 10 years old and had a long amateur career, shoulder problems, hurts or even breaks his left hand virtually every time he fights and he's left handed.

he's still got his brain intact 100% from what i can tell, and is probably a smarter and more nuanced boxer than he was even in his physical prime, but i saw some slippage between his last big layoff and his comeback. looked a little slower, took a couple of shots he'd never have taken in 2012.

i thnk people also sleep on the first kovalev fight. i heard that shot from the 6th row off of the floor and way off to the side. sounded like a gun going off. ward looked out of it when he got up after the knockdown, you could really see it in his face on the hbo broadcast. then he finished a 12 round fight with one of the best punchers at 175 since roy jones.

Comment

• hbo gotta stop talking long term contracts for the commentary booth with their top p4p fighters .

i don't think rocnation was ever that good at promoting boxing matches. all they had was the cashflow. ward was probably recognizing that if he wants to get back on ppv and exceed kovalev earnings he'll literally have to take on challenges at cw or even hw.

Comment

Working...
                      X