Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sonny Liston A Top 10 ATG Heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sonny Liston A Top 10 ATG Heavyweight?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%

!. Louis
    2. Ali
    3. Holmes
    4. Johnson
    5. Lewis
    6. Foreman
    7. Tyson
    8. Liston
    9. Holyfield
    10. Marciano
    11. Dempsey
    12. Frazier

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      !. Louis
      2. Ali
      3. Holmes
      4. Johnson
      5. Lewis
      6. Foreman
      7. Tyson
      8. Liston
      9. Holyfield
      10. Marciano
      11. Dempsey
      12. Frazier
      Wow, Jab. Reasons 4 having Liston over Marciano, Dempsey & Frazier? All had better wins & better title reigns than Liston.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Legendary~ View Post
        Wow, Jab. Reasons 4 having Liston over Marciano, Dempsey & Frazier? All had better wins & better title reigns than Liston.

Much like Ali, Liston thoroughly cleaned out the heavyweight top 10 and did it in devastating fashion before finally getting his shot at the title. Neither Dempsey nor Frazier can say this and I believe he beats both and Marciano in h2h match ups. Jmo of course.

Comment

No, but he's certainly somewhere between 11 and 15, IMO of course. Without all of those years in prison and had he not been avoided for a couple years before finally getting a shot at Patterson, he'd definitely be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            No, but he's certainly somewhere between 11 and 15, IMO of course. Without all of those years in prison and had he not been avoided for a couple years before finally getting a shot at Patterson, he'd definitely be higher.
            Im of the opinion the man makes the title, not the title makes the man. Even if Liston had become champion earlier he still would have beaten the same fighters in the same manner.

Comment

Hell yeah!

01. Muhammad Ali
              02. Joe Louis
              03. Jack Johnson
              04. Jack Dempsey
              05. Larry Holmes
              06. Sonny Liston
              07. Evander Holyfield
              08. George Foreman
              09. Rocky Marciano
              10. Mike Tyson
              11. Joe Frazier
              12. Harry Wills

In his prime Liston was an absolute beast with legit one-punch KO power, a granite chin, and a top-three Heavyweight jab. He just had the misfortune to win the title right as the best-ever Heavyweight was coming into his own.

Poet

Comment

Yeah, I don't have a fixed list but I'd figure him to be somewhere around 7-10.

Liston would beat every single current heavyweight by stoppage, I know that.

Comment

At first I had him in the top 10. Then I didn't. Now I do again.

The only reason I initially took him out was because of his short title reign and a lack of knowledge of most of his resume. (not the best of course, but the minor fighters that are more than capable of upsets). Man beat a hell of a lot of good fighters...in a dominant fashion. Plus he's really like 4-5 years older than his official age, so losing the title at an advanced age against the "Greatest" really is nothing to hold against the guy. Hell had he beaten Clay I'd have to rate him #1.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Hell yeah!

01. Muhammad Ali
                    02. Joe Louis
                    03. Jack Johnson
                    04. Jack Dempsey
                    05. Larry Holmes
                    06. Sonny Liston
                    07. Evander Holyfield
                    08. George Foreman
                    09. Rocky Marciano
                    10. Mike Tyson
                    11. Joe Frazier
                    12. Harry Wills

In his prime Liston was an absolute beast with legit one-punch KO power, a granite chin, and a top-three Heavyweight jab. He just had the misfortune to win the title right as the best-ever Heavyweight was coming into his own.

Poet
                    great Top 10 List identical to my own.. excellent post leaves me nothing to add

Comment

Working...
                    X