No announcement yet.

Fights in which fast footed fighter loses to flat footed counter puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you think about it...
    Danny Garcia and JMM are similar in quite a few ways.

I actually think Garcia landed the sharper, harder counters against Thurman last night. Thurman obviously won, ...Garcia's problem was he wasn't active enough and was awkward pressing the action when he needed to.

Comment

Bradley-JMM

Thurman-Garcia

Played out actually pretty similarly for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Lmao

Show me the fight we he wasnt flat footed..

How was Bradley, John, Floyd able to dance around him all night..

Hell old faded casamoyer was outmanuevering him..

How was flat footed guys like Diaz and katsidis able to rock Marquez

Freddie Norwood?
        He's strictly a counter puncher I wouldn't call him flat footed

Comment

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
          Hey guys I am looking for film in which a fast footed semi defensive minded fighter (ex. Bradley, Thurman, Lara, Mayweather) loses to a flat footed counter puncher. I can't think of any legit examples (please don't recommend Lara v. Canelo...) of this happening. Thanks.

Also if anyone wants to discuss the strategy for this type of fight (coming from the flat-footed person's pov) please discuss.

I am trying to come up with a gameplan for this type of fight.
          Hamed/Barrera

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Lmao

Show me the fight we he wasnt flat footed..

How was Bradley, John, Floyd able to dance around him all night..

Hell old faded casamoyer was outmanuevering him..

How was flat footed guys like Diaz and katsidis able to rock Marquez

Freddie Norwood?
            Just because someone moves more than you or is quicker on their feet than you doesn't mean you are flat footed.

JMM isn't flat footed. He plants his feet often to throw, that's very different.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
              He's strictly a counter puncher I wouldn't call him flat footed
              Dude stands in one place, a lot of the time... that's pretty much flat footed

Move on Marquez and he can never find you, stand in front of him and he will crush you..

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                Just because someone moves more than you or is quicker on their feet than you doesn't mean you are flat footed.

JMM isn't flat footed. He plants his feet often to throw, that's very different.
                Dude is flat footed... old Barrera and casamoyer outmaneuvered him till their old legs forced them to be more stationary and Marquez was able to capitalize...

Show me the fight where Marquez could catch a mover..

Just look at the chris john fight.. anytime john was on his bike Marquez had very little success..

Comment

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. What I meant by semi-defensive is that they were not fast footed all offensive fighters like Pacquiao or Haye (these types of fighters can definately be beat by heavy punching counter punchers).

I would consider Marquez as at least slow on his feet so any fight with him in which he beat a mover would be interesting to see. But he lost all of the fights against anyone who had high mobility (Mayweather, Bradley (though I believe this fight was a lot closer than many).

My opinion is that unless you set up lots of traps and can land nice combos, or have one punch KO power a flat footed fighter will lose these fights 9 of 10 times. The only exception is when a fast footed fighter comes to the slow footed fighter often like Pacquiao did against Marquez. Pacquiao could have literally pot shotted Marquez and danced around pulling off what Thurman did against Garcia on rounds 8-12 and would have had an easy night.

Still I wanted to expand my horizons if you will with any footage that shows some sort of potential blueprint for handling these types of fighters.

I wonder in these situations if you should focus on the body, make it rough on the inside and put a lot of work in early (sounds a lot easier than it is to do) to try to slow the fighter down and make something big happen in the later rounds. How does an effective fighter cut off the ring (Duran, Chavez Sr. come to mind) on these fighters?

What is a proper game plan in your minds? I can't come up with one barring a miracle or a legendary chin in which you can impose you will. Maidana v. Mayweather 1 comes to mind (I believe that fight was close as well, I think a decent case can be made for that fight being a draw). But this version of Maidana was huge compared to Money, had above average power and he has a solid chin (only ever showed weakness to the body imho).
                  Last edited by Randomum; 03-05-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X