Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bleacher: Unwillingness to Fight Gennady Golovkin Has Created a Middleweight Mess

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleacher: Unwillingness to Fight Gennady Golovkin Has Created a Middleweight Mess

Good article, more inside.

Middleweight is one of boxing's glamour divisions, and it's ruled by one of the sport's most identifiable stars.

And yet, in a couple of weeks, division kingpin Gennady Golovkin, oh he of the three golden belts and highest knockout percentage in division history, will defend his treasure trove against welterweight Kell Brook.

Brook was not the first choice. He wasn't the second or third either. Nope, he was the only guy willing to take the fight once the rest of the division settled under its respective rocks.

Canelo Alvarez is the man who should be standing opposite GGG as the summer begins to give way to the fall, but he decided to skip lunch a day or two per week to drop back to the relative safety of the junior middleweight division.

He'll challenge Liam "Beefy" Smith for the WBO's 154-pound strap a week after GGG puts the way-too-brave Brook into orbit somewhere above London.

Don't let Oscar De La Hoya fool you either.

He's a promoter, so it's his job to sell hype, but nobody wanted this fight, and (without disrespect to Smith) the Brit is not the best junior middleweight in the world by any objective measure.

Source: BleacherReport

Fair article. The only problem is GGG has done the same thing in the past that the article criticizes others for-putting money ahead of challenge.

My only other problem with the article is it says he is fighting a WW because no other MW is going to fight him. I guess for the GGG fans that is one way to look at it.

For those not GGG diehards, he is fighting a WW rather than going up to 168 since its clear no one in the division will fight him.

We can't blame GGG for not being able to find a MW to fight him. However, knowing this reality, why is he still staying at 160 rather than going to 168 to find quality opposition?

Comment

... a badly shot Martinez created the 160 mess... in the first place...

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Fair article. The only problem is GGG has done the same thing in the past that the article criticizes others for-putting money ahead of challenge.

My only other problem with the article is it says he is fighting a WW because no other MW is going to fight him. I guess for the GGG fans that is one way to look at it.

For those not GGG diehards, he is fighting a WW rather than going up to 168 since its clear no one in the division will fight him.

We can't blame GGG for not being able to find a MW to fight him. However, knowing this reality, why is he still staying at 160 rather than going to 168 to find quality opposition?
        Agree with this. If no one in the MW division wants to fight him he should move up. Of course everyone will criticize Ward for fighting a guy too small for his division (not bloody likely since nobody criticizes Ward . If he doesn't move up GGG might as well retire and teach youngsters or those in his own division how to fight.

Comment

Anyone unbiased knows this.

Comment

He should be commended for wanting to unify 160. Who says he wont fight at 168 at some point?

Comment

Loeffler just needs to pay for BJS belt. Make golovkin call him out during the post fight interview or call him into the ring or some schit.

Comment

bleacher report.................

Comment

because canelo - golovkin is the biggest fight in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    He should be commended for wanting to unify 160. Who says he wont fight at 168 at some point?
                    Come on Weltz. If no one is going to fight him at 160 then why stay there and just fight WW and JMW coming up for a payday?

Is that really what you prefer rather than seeing him go to 168?

Comment

Working...
                    X