Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Heavyweight Division Hierarchy Got Clearer Yesterday...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heavyweight Division Hierarchy Got Clearer Yesterday...

...and while Britain has plenty to be proud of, there is good reason to believe the best heavys are in the US.

The 3 fights we saw make an excellent case for this.

Chisora sparked out Takam. That's both a plus and a minus for British boxing. It's great for DelBoy, who you have to root for no matter who you are (the guy is just a throwback, a classic example of a guy making a whole lot out of a little). But Takam had a controversial stoppage vs AJ and took Joseph Parker 12 rounds. What DelBoy did reflects badly on both AJ and Parker. How good are they if a washed Chisora can spark out a guy they couldn't? Yes, styles make fights and you can't make any conclusive assertions either way but it is definitely fodder for discussion.

We saw Dillian Whyte beat Joseph Parker. Dillian gets a plus for beating Parker, but maybe Parker just isn't as good as some folks rated him. A few close fights with Ruiz and Takam, 2 boring fights with Hughie Fury and Cojanu...maybe Parker was more fortunate than good. And BTW, Parker has an extra minute in that last round and perhaps we are talking about a different winner. Whyte gets credit as a plus, but the minus is Parker may not be anything more than a former beltholder who did not deserve all of his ranking.

The fight with Luis Ortiz and Razvan Cojanu throws even more fat on the fire. It's very hard to keep making the case that Ortiz is not the 3rd best heavyweight in the world when he does things like he did last night. Sparking out a guy in 2 rounds that went 12 with Parker is a statement no matter what you want to say about Luis. It puts the lie to any sentiments about his age as well. Ortiz is clearly the most skilled guy in the division and remains in good enough shape to not only compete but be counted as among the best.

I think it is clear that 2 of the top 3 guys (Wilder and Ortiz) fight in the US. And, with the addition of Jarrell Miller, it is probably 3 out of the top 5 or 6. British heavyweight boxing is indeed at an all-time high, especially if you throw in Bellew and Tyson Fury. But, the US can still make a very legit claim to having the best in the division.

I agree majorly with one statement you made "maybe Parker just isn't as good as some folks rated him."

I thought he lost to Ruiz. And he looked like garbage against AJ and Whyte. Disinterested at times. Parker is the definition of "peaked too early" knocking out Botha in 2 rounds at 21 years old sounds better than it appears (Botha was way past his prime)

Parkers best performance as champ was a UD win against a guy that Ortiz made look like a club fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      I agree majorly with one statement you made "maybe Parker just isn't as good as some folks rated him."

I thought he lost to Ruiz. And he looked like garbage against AJ and Whyte. Disinterested at times. Parker is the definition of "peaked too early" knocking out Botha in 2 rounds at 21 years old sounds better than it appears (Botha was way past his prime)

Parkers best performance as champ was a UD win against a guy that Ortiz made look like a club fighter.
      Watch some folks take that to mean I am saying Parker is fake.

Nothing is further from the truth. He is still young, still has a chance to live up to what was clearly a little hype.

Comment

Ortiz went twelve rounds with Malik Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwingbombs View Post
          Nothing you can say will change the fact that Wilder KOs Joshua. Sorry bud.

Comment

Never seen somebody get so much hype for knocking out somebody you would expect him to knock out.

As for Jarrell Miller... what on earth has he done? He's got a big mouth and that's it... or is that enough to be one of the top guys in the division in some people's eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Throwingbombs View Post
              Scott didn't want to fight. Ortiz knocks out Chisora and Whyte easy.

Comment

Ortiz is American now? He can't even speak English.

The US has Wilder and Miller. That's it.

UK has Fury, Joshua, Whyte.

If you want to look at the tier below then the UK is strongest again.

Bellew, Hughie, Joyce, Chisora, Gorman, Dubois >>>>> Breazeale, Ruiz, Washington, Kownacki, Jennings, Molina

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
                  Ortiz is American now? He can't even speak English.

The US has Wilder and Miller. That's it.

UK has Fury, Joshua, Whyte.

If you want to look at the tier below then the UK is strongest again.

Bellew, Hughie, Joyce, Chisora, Gorman, Dubois >>>>> Breazeale, Ruiz, Washington, Kownacki, Jennings, Molina
                  "Ortiz is American now? He can't even speak English. " lol

I myself rank Ortiz at 3 and have well over a year but these guys are dumb as hell for their reasons and the OP is a reject . lol

Comment

Originally posted by Body Shot View Post
                    Nothing you can say will change the fact that Wilder KOs Joshua. Sorry bud.
                    Keep smoking that stuff, it must be good.

Comment

Working...
                    X