Collapse
No announcement yet.

another Freddy Roach 7 time trainer of the year casualty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think for a fighter like Ruslan, who looks like he works his ass off in the gym, would be to go to match with a coach who wouldn't make him display what we already know he has, his great chin.

I'm not Knocking Provo, But i am questioning his coaching methods to make him a high level fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by icebergisonfire View Post
      Of course it is lacking, he probably just has Ruslan standing in front of an NFL jugs machine throwing footballs at 90mph at him, to test his durability and chin since he knows he's going to get hit a lot.
      It was a Chirs Algeri gameplan, with power.

Work off the jab, step to the right, rinse repeat.

Comment

There's nobody better in the sport at finding the right names when they're on their way out for his guys.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
          There's nobody better in the sport at finding the right names when they're on their way out for his guys.
          Haha true true.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
            I'm hard pressed to find any kind of acolytes besides, Pacquiao, that would earn him such high praise among his coaching peers.

From a business perspective he's great doing fabulous with guys like Provodnikov who are groomed to be high level sparring partners. I feel bad for him because, boxing is not a tough mans sport, were taking flush shots for 12 rounds is a badge of honor.

But for him actually teaching a boxer how to use the basic fundamentals of defense to offense, setting up varying shots... very lacking.

He teaches every fighter that walks through his doors, to volley of punches up the middle.

Freddy Roach is the walmart of boxing schools, sorely just above the worst trainer of all time Buddy McGirt.
            I don't agree that hes a **** trainer. He's just spread too thin. When guys take on too many fighters they start losing loads. Happened to Roach before and he didn't learn. It's happened to Garcia too.

He needs to fully offload a lot of fighters to Marvin and Justin Fortune I think. But Roach deserves some abuse for his treatment/non-training of guys like Provo and Linares.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
              He needs to fully offload a lot of fighters to Marvin and Justin Fortune I think. But Roach deserves some abuse for his treatment/non-training of guys like Provo and Linares.
              When fighters go to Wild Card they want to work with Roach, not Marvin or Fortune. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Comment

roach is a great trainer, none of his fighters seem to go down without a fight, if you can't stop them, if you win, it's usually a close decision

Comment

he helped make khan into a unified world champion at 140. i think he made israel vazquez into a world champion. of course he helped make manny into a multiple weight world champion.

also chavez jr won his first world title with roach and same with ruslan.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
                    he helped make khan into a unified world champion at 140. i think he made israel vazquez into a world champion. of course he helped make manny into a multiple weight world champion.

also chavez jr won his first world title with roach and same with ruslan.
                    Those are all non debatable of course, he has acolytes.

Khan left Roach also so that point is somewhat mute point though. Isreal Vazquez is old unfortunately and i'm talking about lately.

Many other trainers during "his" era have won their fighters championships. Manny is consistently his best pupil to date. Look how good Khan (love em or hate em) has gotten with Vergil hunter. Look how good Andre Ward is, look how much better Berto has gotten. Look at Keith Thurman and how dominant he is as a fighter with Dan Birmingham. Look at Nacho Beristein who very arguable beat Manny 3 of their 4 meetings. Look at Danny Garcia working with His brother Miguel Ángel García.

Those guys are all champions. I think the light shines brightest on Roach because of Manny (who i feel made roach, I think manny with any trainer with his work ethic, would be successful). But the rest of his stable of fighters pass like ships in the night and tend to have glaring flaws.

I look at in an aspect of; with which coach do you think you would get the best toolkit to be a pro boxer. To be versatile enough to make adjustments during a fight, the game of boxing in the ring when.

Roach teaches one style with his fighters. Shiming Zou recently lost too same style. Roach also lost with Antonio Demarco which i think he arguable game the worst advice you can give a fighter during a pivotal moment of the fight.

His methods are flawed, I'm not sure he deserves high praise when there are a variety of other coaches, who are just as good or better, who deserve praise also.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
                      I don't agree that hes a **** trainer. He's just spread too thin. When guys take on too many fighters they start losing loads. Happened to Roach before and he didn't learn. It's happened to Garcia too.

Very true, but Roach still wins awards consistently, which masks his flaws as a coach.

Roach is a grown man and has control over everything you mentioned. I just think to him it's less about the fighters and more about the money, and that choice is affecting his fighters and their ability to succeed.

I do agree with your Garcia point.

Comment

Working...
                      X