Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good one.

Anybody have some reflex drills?

Comment

have a partner hold a towel, fold it in half longways if its too long, hold it by the end and swing at you, up and downstairs, block, slip and bob. Also at your feet so you step around.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
        Do you guys know of any drills to improve a boxers reflexes, specifically ability to slip punches and footwork outside of the gym with minimal equipment.
        hahaha, i've been wondering when this will come up. I got the absolute best thing for that. Its basically watching.

What you do is have a friend or someone to stand in front of you. Have them move a body part and when ever they move, release our breath like you would when you punch. (or you can throw a punch, either way works.) Over time have your friend start making minut movements, like maybe grin, blink, twitch a finger, slightly shift a foot. When you begin to catch even the slightest of movements your reflexes are very very sharp trust. When you apply that to the ring. You will catch a person's hip move at the slightest. Even the slightest muscle twitch will telegraph what their intentions are which gives you the chance to intercept.

This training is for the perception of an attack, or rather the interval between stimulus and the beginning of response. To be able to use this effectively you gotta train for speed though. Because if you can see the attack before he does it but your too slow to intercept or move out the way then your screwed regardless.

I know its not the "coolest" thing to do but trust, it works. Its why I always say "you move towards me I hit you, you move to away I hit you, you blink I hit you, and if you think I will hit you." the slightest movement and your hit.

Comment

Flicker, do you do this in rounds???

Comment

Have someone shoot you with live round, bob and weave to dodge, bend at the knee not waist.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
              Do you guys know of any drills to improve a boxers reflexes, specifically ability to slip punches and footwork outside of the gym with minimal equipment.
              All you need is a mirror, a long piece of rope or even string etc, and a little bit of space.

Set up the mirror at a level that you can see your shoulders and head in front of you. Also set up the rope anywhere so that you can practice your head movement and slipping. Just tie it up shoulder level somewhere in the space and you can then practice moving forwards and backwards while slipping under, either not throwing any punches or just some simple jabs/basic combo's etc.

The mirror is a great tool for developing your head movement and keeping an eye on your technique.

First of all you want to really develop a non stop head movement in your training. What you do in training will always reflect in your fighting/sparring. If you want great head movement and the ability to slip shots then you need to make it second nature in your training, which means you need to incorporate it into everything you are doing.

Get that mirror set up at a good angle so that you can catch everything you do. First, do it all stationary. Throw your jab and combo's finishing with the head movement. Eg. The simple one/two, slipping either way after and vice versa, slipping first then shooting a combo. Also, drill your basic forward and backward steps with the jab and basic combo's and head movement with each step either way. Eg. Jab as you step forward followed by slipping, either way. Repeat, along with running your main combo's followed by your head movement. Also, do the same for your backward steps. The rope comes in handy here as it really forces you to make the full movement (down, across and back up) and therefore sets up the necessary muscle memory and speed. If you try this without ever using the rope it can mean you will do the movement too small, especially if you are trying to do it all too fast too quickly. Get used to using the rope, it's a great tool.

I'm not sure how much you know about all the basic steps, but I'm just going to assume you know most of what I'm talking about, or that you have a trainer that you can go to or that has already taught you most of this stuff. It's all pretty basic, but the basics are what can make or break you. Train them to perfection and you can get far on that alone. Don't train them much, and you will never get anywhere, no matter how talented.

Anyway, using the mirror with your shadow-boxing (head movement and steps drills) will really help you to progress quickly. A good drill to do is a very simple one. If you're doing this at home or out of the gym then it's a great one to do. It is just to help with the ability to slip quickly and efficiently. In front of the mirror with you guard up, just drill first your side to side head movement. Do it for a full round non stop. Then drill your ducking head movement, as if the rope was there (down, across, up, down, across up the other way). Also for a full round. The last round incorporate both non stop. Side to side, down and up, down and up, side to side, side to side, down and up, side to side etc etc.

If you don't have much room to work in though, the main thing would be the mirror. With it you can practice a great deal of defensive movement, slipping and really working on the head and upper body movement. If you're wanting great slipping ability, it's also a very good idea to strongly train the mobility/flexibility of your neck, waist and hips and also to strengthen these areas. The ability to slip quickly comes from the waist and hips, so having flexible, strong waist and hips will allow you to do this without tiring and very quickly.

Also, depending upon what type of fighter you are, it is obviously a good idea to work on specific things more. If you're a Frazier=type forward moving aggressive fighter then working on your head movement in front of the mirror while stationary is a brilliant workout. Do this for three or four two or three minute rounds (depending on your own level. Less if starting out) constantly moving and slipping while throwing your combo's and blocking the imaginary incoming shots of your opponent. Core stamina and the building up of your hip/waist muscles is often overlooked and this type of workout is great.

Good luck, if any of this needs explaining just ask. Have fun.
              Last edited by BennyST; 03-04-2009, 06:36 AM.

Comment

for improving the speed of your footwork and coordination i like to practice drills much like the one you see frankie gavin doing in this vid

go to 3.20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbn_eUX9pHo
                Last edited by sugargayleonard; 03-04-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

You can use a reflex ball (a ball with stubs/bumps all over it that sends it in random directions) or take a rubber ball and melt/carve it up a bit. Bounce and catch.

While walking down the street pay attention to the lights and react to their changing as quick as possible (think a certain word, flick your finger, blink, whatever). You can do the same thing while watching tv, every time the screen changes instantly from one comercial or scene to another (no fade out) do the same thing.

Since you need decent peripheral vision in boxing another one you can do is while your walking around, look off to the side and focus on something, try to use your peripherals to spot a certain type of vehicle and as quick as possible determine what color it is. This is harder than it sounds so long as the vehicle is actually in your peripheral vision and the vehicle isnt red. I have trouble with blues and greens (slightly colour blind???).

Comment

Working...
                  X