Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens next for Rigo, Ward, and Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Cleverly is probably the least interesting of those opponents, but yea I tend to agree with your take of Ward's opinion on fighting the other 3 guys.

I predict some titles being dropped/stripped lol. This is the main reason we don't have as many undisputed champions & its why I quit caring about undisputed champions. Its not so much a accomplishment as being a diplomatic boxer thats willing to be backlogged in less meaningful, less paying fights when ones true goal should be the biggest & best fight to be made each time out once you've gotten to this level of the sport.

I'd probably even argue that if we are gonna have all these f#cking titles when there is a title holder with more than 1 title that all the specific belt mandatory's need to fight each other til there is one multi belt mandatory cuz its a lil insane that a guy with all 4 belts would have to be consistently put into fights with so many guys each & every year.

If I was a multi belt title holder I'd only defend the mandatory belt vs the mandatory guy & not put my other belts on the line at all unless they would push back other mandatory fights for me doing so. There's too much abc bs that goes on in boxing.

Kovalev vs Beterbiev is maybe the best fight to make next time out for him I feel like. Its a fight that should make massive sense at this point.

But Rigo should have a cashout mindset with every fight these days. I'm still not convinced anyone can beat him so he should just get the best crazy fight he can get.

Its a waste of his talent & his time to be fighting so seldom vs these guys who aren't a tenth of what he is. So he needs to think like Kell Brook previous to the GGG fight, despite that not having good results for Brook, or his career will continue to get turned into dust fight by fight til he does get upset by some random guy when he's 39 or whatever.
    That would require the sanctioning bodies to play nice with each other, but they continue to do their own ***** which only serves to depreciate the sport's credibility. It sounds like a great idea though, especially in divisions where there's a lot of overlap. For example, Beterbiev and Gvozdyk are top 10 in all sanctioning bodies, so........why not just have them fight for the top spot across the board? I know it wouldn't be that simple, but definitely something to think about. The winner of that fight would earn the right to get a crack at Ward, while Stevenson finally faces Alvarez. Meanwhile, guys like Smith/Barrera and Bivol could only earn the #1 spot if they get through Kovalev (the former champion). Kov worked to capture the belts, but he's gonna be superseded by Bivol who's only beat 2 fringe contenders? I also agree with your idea that fighters shouldn't be defending all of their belts in every fight IF the opponent isn't ranked by that particular sanctioning body. Sanctioning bodies need to be completely integrated because the way things currently stand, the unified title-holders are getting screwed.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      Sanctioning bodies need to be completely integrated because the way things currently stand, the unified title-holders are getting screwed.
      If there was one thing I'd wish onto boxing is that all the players had basic common sense on how the sport should work & what would be best for the sport of boxing instead of best for this fighter, this promotion, this network or other specific "me" or "mine" type things.

The sport of boxing is being unappreciated by those who have made it there careers which is sorta f#cked up & sad as a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        Lebedev is also 37 with a lot of wear-and-tear, definitely a winnable fight for Ward.
        Yeah Ward said he would go up for the right situation, and that is definitely it. Ward might even be the favorite in that fight, and there's a belt on the line (even if Lebedev shouldn't have it)

Bellew for big money would be a good fight, but I'm not sure Ward would want to go to England, and Bellew can make more money at heavyweight

Comment

Working...
        X