Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any idea's how I should train on a heavy bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any idea's how I should train on a heavy bag?

Just wondering what's best for learning techniques and fitness, as in how long should I go on for with a break and continue, and what sort of combos should I throw?

3 mns ON, 1 min OFF, as for techniques and methods you need a trainer! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      3 mns ON, 1 min OFF, as for techniques and methods you need a trainer! Ray.
      Short and simple... this.

Although, a lot of people would recommend 2 min rounds if your looking to fight Am, to get used to the timing.

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
        Short and simple... this.

Although, a lot of people would recommend 2 min rounds if your looking to fight Am, to get used to the timing.
        Yeah I'm just starting off so wondering as to how others are training

How much punches would you average in each round?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyreww View Post
          Yeah I'm just starting off so wondering as to how others are training

How much punches would you average in each round?
          Focus more on technique than quantity to begin with. It's better to throw 20 good punches than 50 arm punches, imo. And how much you throw will depend on you really, but try to keep active for the full duration and keep focused on throwing with good form.

Comment

Try not to mix technique and fitness in the same rounds if you're just starting out. If you're doing say 6 rounds, do the first 3-4 just throwing light punches but working on a specific thing (footwork, a combination, getting out after hitting the bag etc.) and then the last 2-3 doing some kind of fitness tabata training drill that won't effect your technique.
            Maybe something like:
            20 seconds straight punches 10 seconds rest x 4/6 a round.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sexton View Post
              Try not to mix technique and fitness in the same rounds if you're just starting out. If you're doing say 6 rounds, do the first 3-4 just throwing light punches but working on a specific thing (footwork, a combination, getting out after hitting the bag etc.) and then the last 2-3 doing some kind of fitness tabata training drill that won't effect your technique.
              Maybe something like:
              20 seconds straight punches 10 seconds rest x 4/6 a round.

Hope this helps
              this is on point.

A very basic drill is a 30-30-30 drill, which is 30 seconds of light punching with proper technique (footwork, combinations), power punching technique (sitting down on ur punches, hooks/uppercuts), 30 sec of "flurries"/burnouts (straight punches, jabs/crosses in succession). Alternate this through 3 minute rounds with a 1 minute break in between. Do 3 rounds if ur starting off.

Comment

Ray pretty much nailed it, 3min on 1 off for a predetermined number of rounds.

Don't use the heavybag to impress, its easy to look cool on them because the bag doesn't hit you back.

Remember these things when working on the bag... Practice your breathing, in my opinion this should be your primary focus until it becomes natural, keep your hands up, and keep moving "if you're not moving your hands move your feet.".

& Don't hit the bag hard without gloves & wraps. Seems every couple days someone tweaks their wrist on a heavybag at our gym because they just threw on some gloves skipped the wraps.

Comment

The Heavy Bag is one of the most misused equipment in the gym. People want to come in and hit it as hard as they can and that can lead to injury and really mess your hands up.

Best thing to do if you are starting out is think of the heavy bag as a person, an opponent. When you throw punches, slip as if you are sparring or shadow boxing. Use combo's and move your feet properly. Basically use it like you are simulating sparring or fighting.

There's also a ton of different exercises you can use on it, depending on whether you want to increase speed, endurance, power etc..

Just start hitting it with technique and proper movement. Just like if you are sparring.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnnsfQdUZ9w

watch that video

nuff said

Comment

Working...
                    X