No announcement yet.

Michael Carbajal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Carbajal

Why so soon forgotten? I rarely hear his name in any boxing convo. He is easily the 2nd most successful fighter of that '88 olympic team behind Roy Jones. He passes the eye test with flying colors. He was very exciting to watch. He dealt with adversity very well as shown in his final bout with future HoFer Jorge Arce (who is still beating top guys). Whats not to like? Is it somebody in particular he ducked or is he just a victim of being a little guy accompanied by Roy, Iron Mike and a host of good WW's? I cant imagine this guy being a dusty memory. I mean, fighters only go out like that in the movies.

One of my top 5 favorite fighters. His memory is just a victim of having fought at such a low weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
      One of my top 5 favorite fighters. His memory is just a victim of having fought at such a low weight.
      That would be satisfactory if I didnt hear guys talk about little guys from generations before. I assumed it had to be more to it. For now I will have to be satisfied in knowing that he's definitely one of my favorites all time and everybody else is forgetting a real gem in boxing.
      Last edited by studentofthegam; 12-18-2011, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
        Why so soon forgotten? I rarely hear his name in any boxing convo. He is easily the 2nd most successful fighter of that '88 olympic team behind Roy Jones. He passes the eye test with flying colors. He was very exciting to watch. He dealt with adversity very well as shown in his final bout with future HoFer Jorge Arce (who is still beating top guys). Whats not to like? Is it somebody in particular he ducked or is he just a victim of being a little guy accompanied by Roy, Iron Mike and a host of good WW's? I cant imagine this guy being a dusty memory. I mean, fighters only go out like that in the movies.
        He was 108 lbs. That's pretty much it. He's still and always will be a fight fans darling. I loved him. He fought incredible opp, made wars, and even late in his career was willing to fight Ricardo Lopez (whose side wouldn't make the fight according to sources I've spoken to over the years). Carbajal is one of the big reasons why I've always been fascinated by and followed little guys

Don't know about Arce as HOFer. That may happen but it's pretty apalling. He's hardly beating top guys. he beat a mid-level contender at 22 this year for a belt during a real serious down time at 122. Aside from that, he's short of really good wins and has taken lopsided losses in most of his step up bouts after the Choi win. Two of his belts came against pick a foe Angky Angkotta who beat...

Fun fighter but of all the fighters around Fly still waiting (Ohba, Betulio Gonzalez, Shoji Oguma ain't on the ballot, neither is Arbachakov, Yuh), for a fighter like Arce, who couldn't lace any of their boots, to make the Hall would be a slap in the face.
        Last edited by crold1; 12-18-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          He was 108 lbs. That's pretty much it. He's still and always will be a fight fans darling. I loved him. He fought incredible opp, made wars, and even late in his career was willing to fight Ricardo Lopez (whose side wouldn't make the fight according to sources I've spoken to over the years). Carbajal is one of the big reasons why I've always been fascinated by and followed little guys

Don't know about Arce as HOFer. That may happen but it's pretty apalling. He's hardly beating top guys. he beat a mid-level contender at 22 this year for a belt during a real serious down time at 122. Aside from that, he's short of really good wins and has taken lopsided losses in most of his step up bouts after the Choi win. Two of his belts came against pick a foe Angky Angkotta who beat...

Fun fighter but of all the fighters around Fly still waiting (Ohba, Betulio Gonzalez, Shoji Oguma ain't on the ballot, neither is Arbachakov, Yuh), for a fighter like Arce, who couldn't lace any of their boots, to make the Hall would be a slap in the face.
          If Bernstein gets in then Arce gets in. Its sometimes a a popularity contest I see and Arce is one of the most famous little guys around. And longevity. Vasquez Jr is pretty hot **** in the smaller divisions.

I was gonna ask why he never got a crack at Finito. It could have been the fight of the decade. I dont think anyone wants to shed any bad light on Lopez because he's so well respected. Even he would have had to pack a lunch against Carbajal. At the very least he should be mentioned as much as Lopez who fought a gang of fights a weight class below him.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
            If Bernstein gets in then Arce gets in. Its sometimes a a popularity contest I see and Arce is one of the most famous little guys around. And longevity. Vasquez Jr is pretty hot **** in the smaller divisions.

I was gonna ask why he never got a crack at Finito. It could have been the fight of the decade. I dont think anyone wants to shed any bad light on Lopez because he's so well respected. Even he would have had to pack a lunch against Carbajal. At the very least he should be mentioned as much as Lopez who fought a gang of fights a weight class below him.
            Bernstein gets in in an entirely different category. That's not apples to apples. By that rationale, Emmanuel Augustus should get in because he was once in the FOTY. Vazquez Jr. is a decent fighter. He hasn't exactly been proven as a elite level guy. Agree it's a popularity contest thing. He shouldn't be there on merit. Look up the guys I noted, who either dominated a division or beat great fighters. Not even saying they should all be in. Arbachakov was awesome for instance, but he never came within an area code of the best fighter in his class (Johnson).

Too bad...that would have been something. Johnson-Arbachakov might have been the classic some thought Tszyu-Judah would be.

Arce getting in before any would be atrocious, another example of the hollow I before the BHOF.
            Last edited by crold1; 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X