Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One thing I dislike about boxing. Needs to change.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    Boxer really should have formed a union ages ago, but the individual nature of the sport makes that pretty damn difficult.

Not usually a big union guy but in this case what group would look after fighters better. States and governments are too busy for that and people involved currently in the sport are all sharks and sharks are never looking anywhere but ahead, if those guys take their eye off the ball someone else will be eating their lunch soon enough.
    That's very true, sharks like don King, Bob arum, many more all have profited more then a few pennies but it's going straight in there back pocket the greedy knieving bastards.
    There needs to be some changes made for the sake of the boxers future health at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
      I feel like there's been a sudden uptick of the use of the word "whilst" on nsb lately.
      whilst
      wʌɪlst/
      conjunction & adverb, BRITISH
      while. It's not as bad as this "cuck" word I see plastered all over nsb at least it's an actual word.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Boxer really should have formed a union ages ago, but the individual nature of the sport makes that pretty damn difficult.

Not usually a big union guy but in this case what group would look after fighters better.
        Yes, a union of boxers to which active athletes would provide a small percentage of their earnings to support retiree pensions. That would be a more useful contribution than the sanctioning fees paid to some corrupt organization like the WBC or WBA.

Comment

It's a nice thought but the reality is boxers have to look out for themselves just like almost everybody else does. Smart boxers put much of their earnings in investments or saving for when they can no longer fight for a living. Stupid boxers spend every cent they make as soon as they make it. They often spend money on stuff they don't need. A boxer who is not very good and just barely makes enough money to live on is a sad situation but no different than other poor people who just make enough to get by on or sometimes not enough. It's a hard world and nobody is really responsible for broke retired boxers and no place is likely to help them.

Comment

Originally posted by serious box View Post
            Hello all, now I'm sure many of you share this same view but it sickens me that there isnt sufficient caring/resources for retired boxers with physical or mental failings, boxing is horrendous in terms of potential brain damage, parkinsons among others.

I want to know why there isn't an organisation that can be created from all the major companies benefitting from boxing financially such as WBA wbc top rank golden boy etc, where a trust fund is made for retired boxers in poor health that have little assets they put there life on the line each and every time they step into the ring.

Whilst there seen as healthy because of training and appearance the damage inside could be dormant until retirement. and with the amount of destitute former boxers I read of it makes me feel bad there's not a specific grant or company that tailors for those who need help.

The amount of money generated in boxing from all the different cells & events could easily cover expenses of retired boxers. but it's like they fade into obscurity for the most part I feel bad for each and every one and if I had billions or a few hundred mill. I'd certainly try to help they provide us entertainment at the expense of there health, yes some get paid handsomely for it but the vast majority don't. Do you agree?
            All true but one thing I want to say is I think current big name fighters take care(to a certain extent) of old time fighters more then any other sport.And it has kinda always been that way.To give an one ex is Floyd paying for G Hernandez funeral.There are A lot of stories like that though the years.Never hear that nearly as much in other sports(although older vets in them sports have pensions and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              It's a nice thought but the reality is boxers have to look out for themselves just like almost everybody else does. Smart boxers put much of their earnings in investments or saving for when they can no longer fight for a living. Stupid boxers spend every cent they make as soon as they make it. They often spend money on stuff they don't need. A boxer who is not very good and just barely makes enough money to live on is a sad situation but no different than other poor people who just make enough to get by on or sometimes not enough. It's a hard world and nobody is really responsible for broke retired boxers and no place is likely to help them.
              That's also true its always been that way wth fighters(big spending beyond their means,not saving)But all other big sports take care of their vets.I know boxing does not have ONE company but with all these alph bit guys and some of the bigger promoters could DO ALOT MORE.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                I feel like there's been a sudden uptick of the use of the word "whilst" on nsb lately.
                The English are coming.

Comment

Working...
                X