Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    I don't see how.
    Wilder is bigger, stronger, harder hitter. It would be kind of like Hearns vs Wilfred but at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post

Dr Steelhamer couldn't even handle Ross Purrity..lol

Boxing has regressed....any fool can see.
      The only thing that was funny about my post was the Amir reference but Boxers from this era would obliterate those from the past in all seriousness. So how has Boxing regressed if Boxers are bigger, faster, stronger and wayyyyy better fundamentally than those previous to us???

Comment

The Klitschko brothers destroy him

He is too small and weak to deal with such impressive specimens with such advanced skilks

He could probably beat wilder though
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

h2h or strength of resume ?!?!?

h2h, these newer hws are bigger, stronger and technically better. strength of resume.....ali, holy, bowe, lennox, k2 and even ruiz have resumes no b/w era hw can match.

Comment

Originally posted by Klitschko2017 View Post
            The Klitschko brothers destroy him

He is too small and weak to deal with such impressive specimens with such advanced skilks

He could probably beat wilder though
            Pretty much this. Dempsey would be dwarfed by today's giant sized Heavyweights.
            moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
              From the title I understand that u mean him vs any of the heavyweights from today in a fight, and my opinion goes like this: if it's a top 10 list then he'd rank at number 10, if it's a top 20 list then he'd rank at number 20. Jack Dempsey was great for his time but he was too crude for any normal sized B level heavyweight that came after him.

The game has evolved soo much for fighters from that era to be competitive with fighters from the modern era. With Demsey's heart, power and natural ability he could've been a serious force in today's time had he gotten the right training and guidance, but the Jack Dempsey from his era stands no chance.
              I agree, but Dempsey was different. He had brilliant skills actually, watch his fights, you'll see him circle the ring then swarm in, time his punch and that's all she wrote. He was a genuine KO artist. I don't think any of todays fighters chins would handle his power.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                The only thing that was funny about my post was the Amir reference but Boxers from this era would obliterate those from the past in all seriousness. So how has Boxing regressed if Boxers are bigger, faster, stronger and wayyyyy better fundamentally than those previous to us???
                No they wouldn't.

Any knowledgeable fan knows the following:

Some fighters from today could have beaten some fighters of the past.

Some fighters of the past could have beaten some fighters from the day.

You have to put them head to head, case by case, and an*lyse the match ups stylistically.

You are generalising.

Not all HW's of today are faster, stronger and are better fundamentally.

Go and look at today's top 15 HW's.

I've no doubt that guys like Dempsey and Louis could beat a good few of those fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                  Wilder is bigger, stronger, harder hitter. It would be kind of like Hearns vs Wilfred but at heavyweight.
                  Jack could have gotten inside.

Jack was faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                    From the title I understand that u mean him vs any of the heavyweights from today in a fight, and my opinion goes like this: if it's a top 10 list then he'd rank at number 10, if it's a top 20 list then he'd rank at number 20. Jack Dempsey was great for his time but he was too crude for any normal sized B level heavyweight that came after him.

The game has evolved soo much for fighters from that era to be competitive with fighters from the modern era. With Demsey's heart, power and natural ability he could've been a serious force in today's time had he gotten the right training and guidance, but the Jack Dempsey from his era stands no chance.
                    Dempsey would certainly have stood a chance at beating some of today's top 15 HW's.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
                      Pretty much this. Dempsey would be dwarfed by today's giant sized Heavyweights.
                      Being huge isn't always an advantage.

Styles make fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X