No announcement yet.

Best HW never to win a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best HW never to win a world title?

Many consider Ron Lyle to have fit that bill rather perfectly. But has anyone given thought to the following...

Chris Arreola:

Could have beaten Adamek easily in a rematch, held his own against Vitali, in Stewards words "did more than any other fighter had against him".

And in both fights with Stiverne, he was beating him up good until one hard well placed right hand stunned Arreola and changed it.

Tony Thompson:

Good all around top contender that just unfortunately never managed to be in the right place for a trinket at the right time (except against a Klitschko of course). Still stopping prospects now in his 40's!

Andrew Golota:

Where to start! Spanked Bowe 2ce but lost the plot! Spanked Grant but mysteriously quit! Fought to a draw with Byrd which would have been a title if he'd won!

But the clincher for me is he fair and square smashed useless Ruiz! And therefore SHOULD have relieved him of his belt but was robbed!

David Tua:

Walloping out champions Moorer and Ruiz in seconds and going the distance with that crazy tank Ike Ibeabuchi in the fight with the highest output in any HW fight of all time! Not to mention KO wins against another 2 even tougher HW champions in Maskaev and Rahman!

Personally I think Golota actually DID win the title and so deserves number 1 spot.

Followed by Arreola who 2ce against Stiverne was on track to victory before being caught.

Then Tua on the merits of having stopped 4 champions (just not at the time of bout).

Any others? Reasons?

Comment

Golota for me.

Comment

Ike Ibeabuchi is one

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
          Ike Ibeabuchi is one

Going to have to echo this.

Comment

Golota.....

Comment

1- Ike Ibeabuchi

2-Sam Langford

Comment

I like Golota better than Ike.

Ike wasted champion Byrd, and decisioned Tua with aforementioned credentials. So he qualifies.

I just don't think he did enough to earn it, he never fought another really good all-round HW. Tua was JUST a slugger and Byrd was ALL safety.

But I agree, had he, Ike COULD have!

Comment

Razor ruddock is another... he gave a prime mike tyson all he can handle....how about gerry cooney??? Holmes vs cooney was a huge fight back then.... tommy morrison version of the wbo belt wasnt a very recognized title at that time, but is today so i guess tommy would be excluded?
                  Last edited by LouIE G; 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Sam Langford

Comment

Working...
                    X