This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    And no matter what the reason, there's still no way I just let someone choke me out. People know by now Judo Gene is approachable.
    There is also an age factor here. Certainly at my age I cannot let people choke me out these days. I also cannot take the falls I used to. But if one is not a martial artist there is really no reason to have techniques done to you.

I used to get a lot of women who wanted to learn to defend themselv........ (my two four leggeds just attacked me lol) where was I? Anyway, so these women and I would sit down and I would explain to them that I would be more than happy to teach them a few things but if they wanted to truly get the skills in a reliable manner they would have to learn what the techniques felt like and, even more important, they would have to at some point make a commitment to go all out against an attacker in some controlled environment. Either a suited protagonist, or something similar...a situation where they were stressed, where their fine motor coordination would shut down to a very small percent, and where emotionally they would be scared, etc.

So my point is that the things people have to do to really learn to fight, most people do not really want to do. Its much easier to learn some exotic skills and take on faith that one will be able to apply the skills when attacked.

Comment

• Yeah, Bruce Lee had students wear a lot of protection when he did his demonstrations, since he would go full contact. Even then, most guys still wouldn't take his 1 inch punch to the chest more than once. There was a report of one guy even having to rest at some for several days, because of the chest pain.

That's why mixed martial arts caught on so fast among the martial arts community. Because, as Joe Rogan said in the Ultimate Royce Gracie bio, a lot of guys realized after seeing UFC 1, that they were learning a lot of stuff that didn't work in a no holds barred hand to hand fight. Boxing was good from the start, but the key then became what to do when taken down. The ones that were better strikers eventually learned take down defense and invented what became known as the sprawl and brawl style, avoiding take downs and turning all their fights into boxing matches with 4 ounce gloves.
      Last edited by Anthony342; 01-13-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
        yeh true but it simply comes across as pyss weak to have a 0 fight novice as your crowning achievement, you savvy?
        It's common practice in Boxing to pad your record.

So this particular 0-Boxing novice was his 50th opponent, rather than his 5th, what of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by USMCer View Post
          It's common practice in Boxing to pad your record.

So this particular 0-Boxing novice was his 50th opponent, rather than his 5th, what of it?
          it just looks odd being last what wuold be his 5th.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            LOL at people still salty over that MayMac fight. Don't really see the big deal in counting that fight as a fight. And if we are not counting sh^t how you are not counting the fact that Rocky turned back to amateur after his first pro W & took an amateur L before turning back pro again. Maybe Rocky should really be 48-0 since he quit pro boxing to go back to amateur boxing took an L & then turned back pro. If Floyd's situation is sketchy with fighting a guy with a 0-0 record shouldn't Rocky's situation be looked deeper at what should or shouldn't count?

Also its worth noting that because NY had a bs rule a fight Rocky had that woulda been a draw in every other state, got made a W for Rocky due to a tiebreaker rule.

As to the debate idk that many people who know boxing are disputing "the better overall resume". Floyd's resume has numerous quality guys on it & a few HOFers & a couple legends or near legends. Rocky beat some quality names, but almost all of them were in their elderly boxing years & he gots a few quality guys beyond that.

Also to go stat-ish Rocky fought 12 (just under 25% of his resume) guys with a non-winning record. Floyd fought 7 (14% of his resume) guys with a non-winning record. That says right there that Rocky's resume is more manufactured than Floyd's.

Interesting, I didnt know Rocky turned Pro then went back amateur. Either way Floyd has him in every department, Rocky and his record has been hyped to the point of being ridiculous. Joe Louis would have beat him half to death if Joe wasnt old AF when they fought. Rocky had the heart of ten men and was a monumental overachiever, for that he should be commended but he slipped in between eras when the greats were old and the upcoming greats were either still amateur or not there yet. I have all the respect in the world for him dont get me wrong but he was a LHW/CW really.

BTW I dont like Floyd in the least but the truth is the truth.

Comment

• one thing i never understood about "floyd waiting for fighters to get old" is that he himself ages as well, floyd doesnt have a time machine that keeps him young. taking on Saul Alavarez should negate all of that, talk for that fight started (by oscar) in 2009 and floyd fought him, i honestly think that argument doesnt stand historically, you could argue he selected certain fights at certain times but the idea that he waited for someone to get hold just isnt true.

Comment

• Lil' Floyd waited for Pacquiao and others to age. A pure defensive boxer can do this because as a warrior he does not age at the same rate as sluggers or brawlers, who generally go downhill much quicker due to copious punishment received. Jus' a fact, lil' lady. Floyd practiced minimalism in the ring for a reason.
                Last edited by The Old LefHook; 01-17-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Lil' Floyd waited for Pacquiao and others to age. A pure defensive boxer can do this because as a warrior he does not age at the same rate as sluggers or brawlers, who generally go downhill much quicker due to copious punishment received. Jus' a fact, lil' lady. Floyd practiced minimalism in the ring for a reason.
                  This is what mental ******ation looks like in print form.

May God help you son

Comment

• whislt its true that he waited for the edge to come off Pac, he had no idea his own edge wouldnt have come off in the meantime.

And in the event, he shut Pac down. Might have been closer a few years ago...but .... you'd still give May the edge.

Comment

• 49, 50, who cares?

floyd's 50 or his 49 without mcgregor is better than marciano's career. hell, floyd mayweather did more in the last decade of his career than marciano did in the entirety of his. if they were the same size rocky wouldn't put more than a few punches on him. he had a lot of limiations and had to take a ton of punishment in his wins.

Comment

Working...
                      X