Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skillwise, is Mikey Garcia better than Juan Manuel Marquez ever was?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to find out Mikey needs to fight Loma or one the top dogs at 140. (Prograis/Taylor)

Comment

Juan was really talented but a bit overrated by the fans. Mikey has not only incredible talent, but is really gifted in terms of boxing instinct. He measures distances like few I've ever seen.

Comment

**** no. Mikey is a good fundamental boxer but Marquez is one of the greatest combination punchers and counterpunches in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatesrats View Post
          Mikey is deffinetly creeping in on the greatest *Mex/American fighters of all-time. Oscar is still the man in that dept. Tho.

(*Mex/American)
          When his best win is still Adrien Broner? Not a chance.

Comment

Time will tell but I think JMM had a more varied offensive arsenal.

Comment

JMM was 80 years old and from 126 lbs and his resume at 140+ is better as it stands. Garcia has a long way to go

Comment

Different styles but JMM is a level above Mikey imo.

Way more fluid with his combos, more layers to his game. People forget in his prime his defence and footwork were very good as well. Mikey is exceptional at what he does, but I think if he had fought, say, Manny in his prime, I suspect he would have been found wanting as the fight moved down the stretch. JMM however never stopped banking info on his opponent never stopped learning and adapting in the ring.

Be a lot easier to compare if we saw a Mikey vs Loma fight. That’s how you find out a fighters true level. For all his wins over solid contenders across multiple weights, he has never been tested by a great fighter in their prime (which I’m sure most agree Loma is or will be considered by the end of his career)

Comment

NO...Just no!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                    Marquez is 1 of my favorites ever but after Saturday, I truly think Garcia is above Marquez in the skill department, main reason is footwork. Everything else as far as boxing skill is about even.

Thoughts?
                    Like them both, but Marquez at lower weights was far more agile than Garcia. Footspeed and combination punching.
                    If you bring the fight to Marquez he thrives, so I think he is the better counter puncher of the two.
                    But Mikey might be the better guy in fighting forward. You can actually potshot JMM — not saying Mikey would not lose to Bradley or Floyd.

At 135 and above Mikey might be the better guy. And has the potential to do even more.

But Marquez will always be Pacquiao’s kryptonite and he benefited from that at WW
                    But he’d be an easy fight for prime Cotto or Marg or Mosley
                    He can hang with Pac

Comment

Jmm had that special factor about him, where when hurt he got better..I still remember the Salido fight with Mikey and doubt his heart

Comment

Working...
                      X