• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    James Toney was a lot of things.

Skilled? Certainly

Big heart, tough as nails, iron chin.

A lot of good attributes.

But great? No, no he wasn't.

But realistically this thread is pointless because all we are going to hear is 100 excuses as to why Toney lost and struggled with unranked fighters in his prime and why he failed to dominate or convincingly beat pretty much every top fighter he faced.

You watch. I guarantee it's coming.
    HAHA yep, you were right. So I guess mentioning James Toney brings you out of hiding? Good to see you back. Don't be such a stranger.

Comment

Set to Hammy.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        HAHA yep, you were right. So I guess mentioning James Toney brings you out of hiding? Good to see you back. Don't be such a stranger.
        I've been posting but just seldom.

To be honest I opened the thread and had no intention of posting but I guess everyone was expecting it so I had to

These conversations become tiresome anyway with all the ridiculous excuses. So predictable.

Comment

I agree with everything you said regarding Toney; it was a fair and insightful assessment

But there were no 'excuses' in that other guy's post, he just said you were wrong.

Personally I think he is wrong, Toney as great just isn't there, but no excuses were given.

Comment

--- Fast Fres Rollin' Two Ton Toney thru the ropes and on the arena floor like the beer barrel he'd become...priceless

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
              I agree with everything you said regarding Toney; it was a fair and insightful assessment

But there were no 'excuses' in that other guy's post, he just said you were wrong.

Personally I think he is wrong, Toney as great just isn't there, but no excuses were given.
              There was excuses for his lack luster performances. "Being out of shape" and "not going to the gym" somehow "taking away from his performances when he was motivated and in shape"

My question is; What performances did he have when he was "motivated and in shape"? Because usually I hear that it was at 160 when he was "in shape" yet at 160 he lost to Tiberi and looked like hot garbage in pretty much all of his fights at 160.

When exactly was Toney "in shape"? Does anyone know?

Comment

--- used to be derelict name of Bozo on the forum who used to email me gems like: " if you said that to James' face you'd soil yerself."

I miss him so, but he'd answer yer question pronto with blunt force koolaide shots up yer keister, he was that kinda two ton Toney guy...

Comment

Toney was the last fighter, imo, who was a clear throwback to the old school days of boxing. As if he had been time traveled 70 years to the future.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    There was excuses for his lack luster performances. "Being out of shape" and "not going to the gym" somehow "taking away from his performances when he was motivated and in shape"

My question is; What performances did he have when he was "motivated and in shape"? Because usually I hear that it was at 160 when he was "in shape" yet at 160 he lost to Tiberi and looked like hot garbage in pretty much all of his fights at 160.

When exactly was Toney "in shape"? Does anyone know?
                    OK - I see what you mean; I read it as him arguing that showing up out of shape was irrelevant to greatness not as an excuse for his performances.

For me, a fighter who consistently appears for fights out of shape is out of the running for 'greatness'

Some people refer to him as a throw-back fighter, he was certainly tough (and kind of mean) but I would argue he was more akin to a barn-stormer than the professional fighters of the 30s and 40s.

To sing his praise though I would say Toney was the type of fighter who could give just anybody a difficult time; nobody walked through James Toney.

Comment

He was a character but he had very little character.

Comment

Working...
                      X