Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a smaller fighter cut as much weight as a bigger fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a smaller fighter cut as much weight as a bigger fighter?

Can a light flyweight cut as much as a welterweight or middleweight prior to fight night? We usually see around 10-20 pounds heavier on fight night versus the previous night where they do the official weigh in.

So can a smaller guy cut as much as a bigger guy?

Tried looking for some tale of the tape pictures of the smaller guys to see how much they weighed. Closest I was able to find was Nonito Donaire VS Fernando Montiel.

Flash weighed 8 pounds heavier and Montiel weighed a whopping 16 pounds heavier! Trying to find one for someone like Chocolatito or better yet any light flyweight fighter.

Wondering if I can weigh 118 and fight at 108

I think rios set the record for weight cuts. Or somewhere around there. But typically welters or junior welters is where you get the biggest weight cuts.

A lot of times they cut more than the light heavyweights. So I guess that answers your question. Also motivated by money, if the division is hot then they will try to force themselves to stay in that division.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
      I think rios set the record for weight cuts. Or somewhere around there. But typically welters or junior welters is where you get the biggest weight cuts.

A lot of times they cut more than the light heavyweights. So I guess that answers your question. Also motivated by money, if the division is hot then they will try to force themselves to stay in that division.
      Is it possible for someone weighing 118 to fight at 108? 10 pound weight cut seem doable you think?

Comment

the more muscular you are, the more water you retain. So technically a jacked up HW could likely cut down the most, but who would want to watch Deontay Wilder fight James Degale?

Comment

Originally posted by cxviii View Post
          Is it possible for someone weighing 118 to fight at 108? 10 pound weight cut seem doable you think?
          I would imagine so. I'm not sure how much research has been done, and it may be slightly different in really small or big guys, but as a rule of thumb I say you'd work on it as a percentage of bodyuweight. Lets say some of the best known weight drainers are at 140 - 147 (the money divisions) where at 154 a gain of 18 - 20 lbs is high but relatively well documented. That's in the region of 12 -13%. Translating that to 108 would mean that I guy could theoretically reach about 122 if the translation holds at the lower weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            I would imagine so. I'm not sure how much research has been done, and it may be slightly different in really small or big guys, but as a rule of thumb I say you'd work on it as a percentage of bodyuweight. Lets say some of the best known weight drainers are at 140 - 147 (the money divisions) where at 154 a gain of 18 - 20 lbs is high but relatively well documented. That's in the region of 12 -13%. Translating that to 108 would mean that I guy could theoretically reach about 122 if the translation holds at the lower weight.
            Good analysis. I was thinking that logically it seems like the smaller guy would retain less water and therefore not be able to cut as much as the bigger guys. But if we give it leeway and say its 8%-10% for someone smaller then someone at 118-120 can still make 108. Probably has a lot to do with a persons individual body though. I'm pretty lean with around 8-10% body fat, 112lbs at 5'7". Not sure if thats good or bad for cutting weight. Want to pack on muscle up to 118-120.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
              the more muscular you are, the more water you retain. So technically a jacked up HW could likely cut down the most, but who would want to watch Deontay Wilder fight James Degale?

That's not only about water, you ain't draining 20 pounds of water to cut 20 pounds like McGregor, Nelo, Crawford at 135.

They is blood draining too...Why do you think they look whiter and skinny at the WI, they running out off blood lol

Comment

They could cut the same percentage of their bodyweight. A 105 pound boxer could only cut a bit more than half as much weight as a 200 pound boxer.

Comment

Similar percentages, but it isn't the same in lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                    That's not only about water, you ain't draining 20 pounds of water to cut 20 pounds like McGregor, Nelo, Crawford at 135.

They is blood draining too...Why do you think they look whiter and skinny at the WI, they running out off blood lol
                    I'm high, so I feel like I need to ask if you're serious lmao

Comment

Working...
                    X