No announcement yet.

Immediate Rematch for Penn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    The way KenFlo handled Gomi. I don't think there will be much respect for Penn's hands if a second fight comes around.
    Dude, I didn't get to watch the Penn - Edgar fight(maybe father time has caught up with him), but, a tip-top Penn, there ain't a d*mn thing Ken-Flo can do, man.

Comment

yeah I think the outcome on Ken-Flo vs Penn is pretty much inevitable ... and besides, no need for them to fight again .. unless they can win a couple more

**any truth to the rumor I read that Maynard was fighting Florian next?

if that ^ were so .. even more reason for having Penn vs Edgar right away, and I'd presume the Florian-Maynard winner will get the next title shot.

Comment

kenflo vs edger and maynard vs penn

winner vs winner

Comment

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the immediate rematch, given BJ's reign and status, and that it was still a relatively close fight. I could go either way though. As with most things though I'm sure it's a business decision first, as Penn is a popular fighter.

Comment

Good, he deserves a rematch. I don't see why some people are so appalled.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              Thats why I said, Penn should at least fight KenFlo or Maynard first. Then get his title shot.

I think KenFlo has made a pretty big statement as to why he should get the title shot. Dismantled Guida, sure Clay is a gatekeeper but KenFlo put him away with ease. Then he picks Gomi apart, that was worse than when Nick beat him. KenFlo vs Penn II for #1 contender would be a great fight though.
              I would agree with you HAD penn lost by a wide margin or a stoppage. but the fight was extremely close and can't be considered a legit loss. Penn shouldn't have to earn another title shot. that would just be ridiculous. Penn earned an immediate rematch IMO.

Comment

This is the way it's looking to pan out:

Edgar-Penn II
                Florian-Maynard

Both are probably going to be at UFC 118, the first card held in Boston. Chances are the winners of both fights meet each other. If you ask me, this is a pretty fair assessment, being that Penn and Frankie fought a close fight that could have gone either way. Penn's win over Florian I think speaks to Kenny not deserving a shot at the belt before Penn at least gets a shot at redemption. I see Penn pulling off a victory, convincingly, and Florian shining in his hometown to set up Penn-Florian II.

Comment

I don't see what the fuss is all about. I praise both guys for taking each other on again because it shows the character. Edgar is willing to give the former champ another shot to prove that the first time was no fluke, in turn (should he be victorious once more) leaving no doubts to the credibility of his status as a champion and #1 LW in the world. Penn does what Shane Mosley, Lennox Lewis and Tommy Hearns, to name a few, did and chase down the guys who beat him in order to prove his championship quality in regaining the title (should he win the rematch) and that he is still the best in the world.

Maynard is worhty of s shot. He's the only guy to beat Edgar which is reason enough to give him another crack at him, and it gives Edgar a chance to avenge the only loss of his pro career.

Kenflo needs to beat Maynard and Penn to get another shot IMO. Kenflo hasn't beaten anyone that is in contention for the title. All he has done since he lost to Penn is beat a guy that has never and will never challenge for the title in Guida, and then beat Gomi who hasn't been a force at 155 for 4 years. Kenflo catches guys when they're at a low point, whether it be on a losing streak or during a period of inconsistent performances, in order to make himself look alot better than he is. The guy has skills but his competition (most notably the timing of these matchups) flatters him alot. I mean, he hasn't even searched for a rematch with Sherk, and even when Sanchez was at 155 he wasn't looking for a rematch with him. The guy's a cherrypicker IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X