Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 good rounds of sparring, Got dropped for first time in life and kept it moving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 good rounds of sparring, Got dropped for first time in life and kept it moving

Yesterday was a great day, it was my son's birthday, and I got dropped for the first time. Whether boxing, sports, or street fight.

People on this site who have never boxed, thinks everyone who has been dropped, buzzed, etc has a glass jaw.

Its about timing, and distance. The shot that dropped me wasn't the hardest punch I ever took. I saw it coming, I tried to time his punch to land a counter but I let him get too close in my range

its a learning experience. I got up, dusted myself off and adapted my style....took his right hand way...his best punch

boxing is about adapting not rock em sock em robots

Andre Ward touched on this as well and so do so many other fighters...its not about getting knocked down, its about how you respond when you get up
    round 1

its around 1:26

round 2

Comment

round 3

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        Yesterday was a great day, it was my son's birthday, and I got dropped for the first time. Whether boxing, sports, or street fight.

People on this site who have never boxed, thinks everyone who has been dropped, buzzed, etc has a glass jaw.

Its about timing, and distance. The shot that dropped me wasn't the hardest punch I ever took. I saw it coming, I tried to time his punch to land a counter but I let him get too close in my range

its a learning experience. I got up, dusted myself off and adapted my style....took his right hand way...his best punch

boxing is about adapting not rock em sock em robots

Andre Ward touched on this as well and so do so many other fighters...its not about getting knocked down, its about how you respond when you get up
        round 1

its around 1:26
        Hand is not going back after Jab,if his attacking like that after your jab ,you need to lurk and clinch,hold your hand higher or move Head and upper body,stay low on your legs wide spread its easier to move upper body then (Whitaker used it often to move his upperbody better) you just stand still and get knoc down with no reason.

Comment

I have been sparring with my brother for a bit in the gym. I am a natural left handed fighter but I always use my right hand as my power punch and my dominant hand as my jab to have some good sting on it. Maybe you should counter the jab with a straight right hand the moment he opens up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
            I have been sparring with my brother for a bit in the gym. I am a natural left handed fighter but I always use my right hand as my power punch and my dominant hand as my jab to have some good sting on it. Maybe you should counter the jab with a straight right hand the moment he opens up.
            He land pretty good stright right,i didnt notice what he countred,Jab or hook cuse it was close to ropes and angle of camera was not good,in 2nd round

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
              Hand is not going back after Jab,if his attacking like that after your jab ,you need to lurk and clinch,hold your hand higher or move Head and upper body,stay low on your legs wide spread its easier to move upper body then (Whitaker used it often to move his upperbody better) you just stand still and get knoc down with no reason.
              thanks for the advice bro...when I started changing levels and moving left...it took it away

a few more feints and left to right movement helped a lot

I got caught on the center line...maj0r no no and I didn't get caught clean with that shot the remaining rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
                He land pretty good stright right,i didnt notice what he countred,Jab or hook cuse it was close to ropes and angle of camera was not good,in 2nd round
                did I counter or get countered in the sequence you're referencing?

when I started to stay low, jab to the body and take half steps back, it helped me take his pressure and right hand away

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  thanks for the advice bro...when I started changing levels and moving left...it took it away

a few more feints and left to right movement helped a lot

I got caught on the center line...maj0r no no and I didn't get caught clean with that shot the remaining rounds
                  i know but if he would get it clean you wouldnt get up ,i get impession like his left was low,and you would throw Jab to the body (his hand would go even more down)and that throw right you would get him.I noticed that you dont fallow up Jab and i saw fighters who build pretty good careers on boxing in basic style (Jab and right hand,Jab fallowed by combos)

keep going

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                    thanks bro

keep grinding

I countered his jab and forward motion a few times with counter rights but he is very quick of foot

as you can see, one miss calculation and I got dropped...waiting on the counter...when I starting pumping the jab and using lateral movement, it forced him to constantly reset and/or follow me around

he has 10+ pounds on me...I had to box smart. I knew I could land mine without taking that right hand of his again

t

Comment

Working...
                    X