No announcement yet.

Hall of famers with excellent ability but not a great resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of famers with excellent ability but not a great resume

Fighters who dominated their era but dont have the resume to be called all time greats.

Possible examples

Joe calzaghe did not beat a hall of famer that was within 5 years of their prime but went unbeaten.

Wladimir klitschko is dominating a weak heavyweight era. has a weak chin and little inside game but is an excellent boxer on the outside.

Just how good are these guys?

Post more examples and discuss.
    Last edited by jas; 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM.

Aaron Pryor

Kosta tszyu

Arturo gatti

Barry mcguinan

Ricardo Lopez

Mike Tyson

Ricky hatton

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Aaron Pryor

Kosta tszyu

Arturo gatti

Barry mcguinan

Ricardo Lopez

Mike Tyson

Ricky hatton
      how many beers you had?

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
        how many beers you had?
        None,,, compared to other hall of famers, those guys have weak resumes.. In terms of boxing overall they are great resumes but when compared to other hall of famers they fall short and I think are the weakest of the bunch

Comment

None,,, compared to other hall of famers, those guys have weak resumes.. In terms of boxing overall they are great resumes but when compared to other hall of famers they fall short and I think are the weakest of the bunch
          ah ok , i was thinking whether they have possibly atg ability but yea, you are right. tyson is a great example - he had only bums around when he was in his prime
          Last edited by jas; 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
            Fighters who dominated their era but dont have the resume to be called all time greats.

Possible examples

Joe calzaghe did not beat a hall of famer that was within 5 years of their prime but went unbeaten.

Wladimir klitschko is dominating a weak heavyweight era. has a weak chin and little inside game but is an excellent boxer on the outside.

Just how good are these guys?

Post more examples and discuss.
            The problem with talking about 'hall of famers' is that there is a hell of a lot of bias involved with who does/has got in and who hasn't/won't get in. Only one Japanese and few other Asian fighters in the hall of fame is testament to that.

I know what you getting at and I agree that Calzaghe's resume doesn't quite stack up to his ability as well as it might have. Naseem Hamed is another who is often derided (slightly harshly but not completely without merit) for having a resume less than supreme. Too many people don't like to admit it but Joe Louis is probably another good example. Of course nobody doubts that Joe Louis is an all time great but that only highlights the inconsistency of judgments of this issue. The one thing that Calzaghe, Hamed, and Louis all had in common though is that their respective weight divisions were relatively weak when they were at their peak.

Other examples that spring to mind might be Kostya Tszyu, Ricardo Lopez, and Yoko Gushiken.

Khaosai Galaxy and Dariusz Michalczewski are two examples of fighters who didn't dominate their era at their weight because there was at least one other title holder (Watanabe, Roman, Jones jr) who was also dominant at the same time but does that mean their weren't dominant? They both won a lot of title fights and generally in a dominant fashion.

Anyway resume is overrated, looking at how they looked in the ring is more important in regards to greatness/hall of fame worthiness.

Comment

floyd mayweather ... even spelled his name correctly to avoid conflicts

Comment

Vernon Forrest..... He really had only the 2 big Shane wins... Other than that,,his list of victories is pretty thin...

Comment

Vernon Forrest..... He really had only the 2 big Shane wins... Other than that,,his list of victories is pretty thin...
                  I agree with all of that, but Forrest isn't in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    I agree with all of that, but Forrest isn't in the Hall of Fame.
                    He probably will be someday.. He is borderline but I think he gets in...

Comment

Working...
                    X