No announcement yet.

After rewatching Huck/Povetkin RE: Wlad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After rewatching Huck/Povetkin RE: Wlad

Since there were no fights this weekend, I sat back and watched some previous fights. Huck is a guy I always love to watch because he's always in great fights. So I switched to Povetkin/Huck. After rewatching this fight, I no longer harbor the deep hatred towards Wlad for his Povetkin fight and the way it was fought. Povetkin literally did the same thing to Huck. Any time he got into trouble, he ducked down into a clinch. In Huck/Povetkin, Pabon literally broke it up instantly, which pissed off a LOT of people. In the Wlad/Povetkin fight, the same thing happened, but the ref never broke it up, which also pissed off a lot of people. There needs to be a happy medium in terms of how the ref deals with Povetkin's duck and then clinch strategy. Wlad did what he was allowed, the ugliness of the fight was purely iniitated by Povetkin, not Wlad.

Moral of the story, after seeing a previous Povetkin fight, I no longer can really get majorly mad at Wlad for how that fight took place.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Comment

It takes two to tango, why should Povetkin be allowed to duck and get away with that garbage?

Comment

Originally posted by Rezelby View Post
        It takes two to tango, why should Povetkin be allowed to duck and get away with that garbage?
        I don't really care about Povetkin, it's the fans who were robbed, particularly in Russia where they really turned out in force. It was bad for boxing.

Comment

The guy who beats wlad has to have really quick feet and legs and be able to make wlad fight inside. Needs to have exceptional short punches e.g. Joe Louis short right hand.

If you look at why wlad grabs:

- he is so dominant on the outside he doesn't need to fight inside
          - referees let him
          - he can't fight inside
          - has panic attacks and starts a grabbing hissy fit as he has no confidence in his chin and inside game but supreme confidence in his exceptional boxing ability on the outside where he perfectly utilises his reach advantages

Look at how few body punches wlad throws. He doesn't need to. He knows his opponents are gonna tire anyway and what he is doing is working. If he was in another era with strong opposition , maybe he would have adjusted and developed certain skills. Emmanuel steward adjusted him and now he's untouchable. Wlad is so tall that it would be so hard to counter him when he throws to your body.

Comment

Wlad has one of the best jabs in the sport and he can win fights only using the jab.

Someone who would have a chance to beat Wlad would need to be able to dodge the jab, to be very cautious about the right straight and also left hook (which are both punches that can take anybody out).

Man to beat Wlad would need to be a special talent with excellent chin and able to force the inside fighting. I don't see many HW ATG be able to do that..

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
              Wlad has one of the best jabs in the sport and he can win fights only using the jab.

Someone who would have a chance to beat Wlad would need to be able to dodge the jab, to be very cautious about the right straight and also left hook (which are both punches that can take anybody out).

Man to beat Wlad would need to be a special talent with excellent chin and able to force the inside fighting. I don't see many HW ATG be able to do that..
              Haye was dodging the jab.

And someone who beats wlad has to NOT "be very cautious". You aren't gonna beat wlad by being cautious. You have to come out from the first Bell pushing him back. He starts a bit slow while he gauges his range until he feels comfortable to let that right hand go.

Wlad has quick feet. You have to throw then once he backs up, you have to launch another attack. Otherwise, he's gonna go back to his comfortable position on the front foot measuring you.

For a heavyweight not to have a chin and still dominate like he has is remarkable and shows what superior boxing skill he possesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post

And he doesn't wind up his left hook .

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                  Haye was dodging the jab.

And someone who beats wlad has to NOT "be very cautious". You aren't gonna beat wlad by being cautious. You have to come out from the first Bell pushing him back. He starts a bit slow while he gauges his range until he feels comfortable to let that right hand go.

Wlad has quick feet. You have to throw then once he backs up, you have to launch another attack. Otherwise, he's gonna go back to his comfortable position on the front foot measuring you.

For a heavyweight not to have a chin and still dominate like he has is remarkable and shows what superior boxing skill he possesses.
                  I said cautious about left hook and straight right. It's one punch game over.
                  Both punches could come from the distance.

I am not sure about the tactics all offensive. It would work on pre steward wlad, but on this version, not so sure..

IMO the Wlad's chin is more of a myth than a real great weakness. He took some great shots from Haye, Chagaev, Wach (on steroids), TT, Ibragimov and was fine. He used to panic when hit and that made it look so much worse. Also sometimes it was combined with stamina problems. Today's Wlad has none of those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                    And he doesn't wind up his left hook .
                    Tyson would have this bum out in 2-3 rounds. All he does is grab whenever you get inside because he has a glass jaw. He'll be out cold again before his career is over.

Comment

Working...
                    X