Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mexican fighter Jesus Chong the first champion of Chinese descent?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mexican fighter Jesus Chong the first champion of Chinese descent?

If so, why doesn't he ever get recognition for it??

He was never champion. I saw him fight several times, and he was tough, a big puncher, but he was never world champion.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      He was never champion. I saw him fight several times, and he was tough, a big puncher, but he was never world champion.
      He did win the wbo light flyweight title by stopping Eric Griffin and lost it to Melchor Cob Castro in his next outing.

Edit: To answer the opening question, I remember watching Chong and I don't remember what they said about his heritage but I know he was born in Mexico. I believe his brother was also a pro. Hector Ulises Chong, also born and raised in Mexico.
      Last edited by TBear; 07-05-2012, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        He did win the wbo light flyweight title by stopping Eric Griffin and lost it to Melchor Cob Castro in his next outing.

Edit: To answer the opening question, I remember watching Chong and I don't remember what they said about his heritage but I know he was born in Mexico. I believe his brother was also a pro. Hector Ulises Chong, also born and raised in Mexico.
        I remember these guys. Decent enough fighters.

I think the answer to the original poster is that outside of the US people don't count back as far. You're born in Mexico - you're Mexican. Born in England, you're English. And so on. In the US people will tell you they're 1/15th Irish, 4/7th's Polish & a quarter German. Nothing wrong with this, just different cultures etc.

Comment

Working...
        X