No announcement yet.

Using the Shoulder Roll as a Southpaw vs. Peek-A-Boo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the Shoulder Roll as a Southpaw vs. Peek-A-Boo

I've been experimenting when sparring between these two styles. Still need to experiment more, particularly against faster opponents but I am still some what torn between using the two.

I am naturally right handed but box southpaw. I tend to switch between the two. Shoulder roll seems to work well for me when I am in close range but not as well in mid range, particularly against quick, straight punches, but I feel like I need to validate this more.

Curious to get feedback on how effective the shoulder roll is for southpaws considering they're normally fight right handers.

why pick, just adjust in the ring when needed.

Comment

Shoulder roll for a southpaw brings about vulnerabilities to right handed fighters it is the same as right handed fighters doing against a southpaw. It still works alright as part of a mix and in close as long as you position your lead hand properly because the angles aren't there but at range there are opening that can get exploited.

It might be a good thing to keep around for fighting another southpaw though because they would not be used to that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
        I've been experimenting when sparring between these two styles. Still need to experiment more, particularly against faster opponents but I am still some what torn between using the two.

I am naturally right handed but box southpaw. I tend to switch between the two. Shoulder roll seems to work well for me when I am in close range but not as well in mid range, particularly against quick, straight punches, but I feel like I need to validate this more.

Curious to get feedback on how effective the shoulder roll is for southpaws considering they're normally fight right handers.
        Shoulder roll can still be simple to use as a southpaw at closer ranges due to how people square up on the inside.

There's a saying that southpaws are no longer southpaws on the inside. The same would apply to orthies you're facing as a lefty.

James Toney used the shoulder roll against lefties. He was known for fighting inside.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          Shoulder roll can still be simple to use as a southpaw at closer ranges due to how people square up on the inside.

There's a saying that southpaws are no longer southpaws on the inside. The same would apply to orthies you're facing as a lefty.

James Toney used the shoulder roll against lefties. He was known for fighting inside.
          Yea, that's when I have had the best luck with shoulder roll, on the inside. If my lead foot is on the outside when inside, my opponent's left hand is damn near not a threat except for to the body. It's also easier to twist and block right hands on inside with should roll. Until I get a little more comfortable with assessing range, I may stick with peek-a-boo from outside. It allows me to be more offensive at further ranges.

I just don't want to get Berto'd experimenting with the Shoulder Roll

BTW, Broner is probably the best example of using the shoulder roll on the inside against an opposite handed fighter against DeMarco. Shiet was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
            Yea, that's when I have had the best luck with shoulder roll, on the inside. If my lead foot is on the outside when inside, my opponent's left hand is damn near not a threat except for to the body. It's also easier to twist and block right hands on inside with should roll. Until I get a little more comfortable with assessing range, I may stick with peek-a-boo from outside. It allows me to be more offensive at further ranges.

I just don't want to get Berto'd experimenting with the Shoulder Roll

BTW, Broner is probably the best example of using the shoulder roll on the inside against an opposite handed fighter against DeMarco. Shiet was brilliant.
            Yea learn how to shoulder roll first at the distance where it's easiest.

You can even catch manny and Amir, neither known for having good defenses, doing the shoulder roll along the ropes up close in manny-marg and Khan-Maidana.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post

Morales used it a few times vs Pac successfully. PBF used it extensively vs ortiz successfully but that one everybody knows.

Comment

Working...
              X