Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting hard to defend boxing nowadays...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole weekend has sickened me to my stomach. Starting with the McPhilbin v Maccarenlli fight and that incompetent time keeper...then the weigh in issues (Castillo, Marquez, Morales and a fighter in the Philippines)...then the stupid DQ, Gale Van Hoy's card and the awfully wide cards in the Morales fight...

I'm fine with a bit of crap spread out but that's a lot to stomach over 1 weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by DJR005 View Post
      I have loved boxing since i was 7 years old back in early 90's. And between the lack of fan friendly promoting, the fighters lack of discipline, fighters general lack of heart or balls, BRUTAL judging and horrible refs I dont know whats killing the sport more. Just one fight card tonight saw 1 fighter get blatantly robbed, 2 fighters, one being a champ failing to make weight and unbelievably bad judging again (the one that had the dec for Kirkland) its just getting hard to defend the sport nowadays and i have no rebuttle when my buddies say UFC is running away, and i realized the reason i have no response is that they are 100% correct. Lets take a look at the state of boxing now: We have arguably the biggest fight in the history of the sport with ghuys who are in the same fuc@ing weight class not being made time after time for almost 3 years now. We can play the blame game all day between Manny and Floyd then Oscar/Bob. The fact of the matter is its to a point now where that fight NEEDS to be made just to breathe some life back into the sport. So all 4 need to man up and put their BS aside and just fight already. My personal opinion would be just get the fight signed for 60/40 to the winner and lets do it. Bob Arum or Oscar dont like it, then get the hell out of the sport because we need some dramatic changes. I just watched 2 interviews from the last couple years one was with Freddie Roach and one was with Bernard Hopkins, both interviews were about UFC compared to Boxing and what their predictions were for each sport in the coming decade. I agree completley with both of them, boxing is dying and UFC is thriving/growing. Boxing needs to start putting on more complete fight cards,not with just one main event and 4 crap fights. Then we need to get the promoter or fighters and their managers to GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT!!!! Everyone is tired of seeing a SUPERSTAR fight an AVERAGE FIGHTER when each division has a handfull of great potential match ups. Saddest part is this era of boxing has all kinds of up and comers as well as established fighters that could be fighting if the sanctioning bodies and promoters would get together and say enoughs enough and lets take the the fu#*ing fight game back to its mainstream days of the 70s and 80s. UFC caters to their fans and thats why they are owning the fight game.
      I disagree with everything you have written. People have been giving boxing its last rites for the last 20 years, yet boxing is now stronger than ever. Boxing is producing more money (adjusted for inflation) now than it ever has in its history, so how can you say the sport is dying? Four out of the last five of Floyd Mayweather's fights have generated over 1 million PPVs and his next one will also and Pacquaio's PPVs have done well (although no where near as well as his promoter claims). How many of the last five UFC PPVs have generated one million buys? Tonight I watched three good boxing matches on non-premium cable television, something we haven't seen since people started giving boxing it last rites 20 years ago, and will be able to see more of those fights in the future. We have seen some good fights this year and have several good fights coming up in the near future, including: Froch/Bute, Mayweather/Cotto, Pacquaio/Bradley, Ortiz/Berto II and Khan/Peterson II.

Boxing does have its problems, but they are no worse than football (bounty gate, strikes); basketball (strikes, cheating refs); baseball (steroids, the perfect game that wasn't because of an umpire's error) or any other sport. In spite of what you and others claim, the UFC is not attracting more fans or generating more money than boxing and we don't need a Mayweather/Pacquaio fight to save the sport because the sport is not in any danger.

If you have such negative feelings towards boxing, stop watching it. I haven't watched a Manny Pacquaio PPV since the Hatton fight because I don't like the fact that he has fought nothing but washed up formerr champions or tried to manipulate the outcome (making Cotto fight at 145 after originally demanding the fight at 142 and forcing Marquez to come to 147 thinking that would give Pac an advantage) in the last few years. If you are dissapointed with boxing, give it up and start watching UFC only. No one will blame you and I doubt if anyone will care.

Comment

MMA is shit, it has also some great problems just like boxing. Saying that, I must say that this controversial decisions, terrible judges and lack the promoter mafia is killing boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
          Boxing is producing more money (adjusted for inflation) now than it ever has in its history, so how can you say the sport is dying? Four out of the last five of Floyd Mayweather's fights have generated over 1 million PPVs and his next one will also and Pacquaio's PPVs have done well (although no where near as well as his promoter claims).
          what happens when floyd and manny go away?

im a boxing fan for life but lets face a reality here, the guys doing huge PPV numbers are pac and floyd..

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
            what happens when floyd and manny go away?

im a boxing fan for life but lets face a reality here, the guys doing huge PPV numbers are pac and floyd..
            The sport existed for 100 years before Pac and Mayweather ever laced up a pair of gloves and it will continue to exist after they leave. People said boxing would die Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard retired, yet it is still here and bigger than ever.

Comment

Working...
            X