Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflicted over whether to try boxing again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicted over whether to try boxing again?

At the start of this year I joined my nearest boxing gym attending boxfit sessions 3 times a week, intending to learn to box and compete.

After a couple of months, I was finally told that to learn how to actually box, I had to attend sparring sessions that were held after the boxfit, however the gym turned out to be very negligent as they expected me to spar without any training whatsoever. The second session I attended I came down with a concussion after I got home and had to spend the night in A+E.

I decided not to spar again due to this bad experience, though I still attend boxfit at least once a week. The gym have since changed the way they do things, the sparring sessions are now referred to as "Learn to Box" and they spend that class doing padwork and technique now, obviously worried they're going to get into trouble after what happened to me.

Part of me still wants to compete in the amateurs. But I don't want to relive the bad experience I had. I feel that me suffering a concussion was due to absorbing 80% of my opponents punches since I didn't really know what I was doing.
    However if I were to start this time, I'd be under proper training and direction.

One of the problems is that I have ADHD, and I feel that it has been slightly worse since the concussion, and I don't want to be rendered unable to focus.

Having considered all of this, would it still be a good idea for me to compete in the ams (I'm not trying to turn pro or anything)?
    I'm 21 years old and I would train hard, regularly if I thought I could be good (I'll be ditching the weights this time which just got in the way last time).

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
    At the start of this year I joined my nearest boxing gym attending boxfit sessions 3 times a week, intending to learn to box and compete.

After a couple of months, I was finally told that to learn how to actually box, I had to attend sparring sessions that were held after the boxfit, however the gym turned out to be very negligent as they expected me to spar without any training whatsoever. The second session I attended I came down with a concussion after I got home and had to spend the night in A+E.

I decided not to spar again due to this bad experience, though I still attend boxfit at least once a week. The gym have since changed the way they do things, the sparring sessions are now referred to as "Learn to Box" and they spend that class doing padwork and technique now, obviously worried they're going to get into trouble after what happened to me.

Part of me still wants to compete in the amateurs. But I don't want to relive the bad experience I had. I feel that me suffering a concussion was due to absorbing 80% of my opponents punches since I didn't really know what I was doing.
    However if I were to start this time, I'd be under proper training and direction.

One of the problems is that I have ADHD, and I feel that it has been slightly worse since the concussion, and I don't want to be rendered unable to focus.

Having considered all of this, would it still be a good idea for me to compete in the ams (I'm not trying to turn pro or anything)?
    I'm 21 years old and I would train hard, regularly if I thought I could be good (I'll be ditching the weights this time which just got in the way last time).
    Make sure you're all healed up from the concussion. How long has it been?

Then find a new gym. This isn't the place to learn to spar/fight. I sparred for the first time after training for 3 days (although it came very naturally to me and I wanted to spar as I'm a hands on learner). The guys def didn't take it easy on me (I had no control over my own power and am heavy handed, so I'm sure that attributed to that), but they probably should have. Sounds like they weren't doing you a favor by not having an experience sparring partner to help guide you into sparring as opposed to having some dude use you as a human punching bag in there.

If you are still suffering concussion symptoms then prob best to not spar, and maybe you just don't have a chin either. But having good defense, head movement/blocking are key.

Comment

What did you end up doing?

Comment

It's your mind, your life...….Rockin'

Comment

Ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I? Dig into yourself for a deep answer. And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must", then build your life in accordance with this necessity; your whole life, even into its humblest and most indifferent hour, must become a sign and witness to this impulse.

Comment

Take the right precautions and give it all you've got. Train significantly before sparring so you know what you're doing and can minimally defend yourself. Best of luck, man!

Comment

Your fault not the gyms, ask your sparring partners for light work and tell them you're a beginner, if not expect people to try and take your head off.
              Last edited by markyod; 10-27-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
                Take the right precautions and give it all you've got. Train significantly before sparring so you know what you're doing and can minimally defend yourself. Best of luck, man!
                He will only learn boxing by getting in there and seeing what works for him and what does not. You could work the floor for years, step in to a ring to throw fists and box as if he were severely handicapped. The only way to learn to fight is to fight. End of story...….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by markyod View Post
                  Your fault not the gyms, ask your sparring partners for light work and tell them you're a beginner, if not expect people to try and take your head off.
                  Exactly, agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    He will only learn boxing by getting in there and seeing what works for him and what does not. You could work the floor for years, step in to a ring to throw fists and box as if he were severely handicapped. The only way to learn to fight is to fight. End of story...….Rockin'
                    Fully agree with you, Rockin. The gist of my message was 'get the basics down so you don't end up with a concussion.' That doesn't mean NOT sparring, just ensuring he can minimally protect himself (keeping his gloves up, continually moving ... etc). But nothing can replace sparring, agreed.

Comment

Working...
                    X