Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the point of praying for HBO's demise again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cadet Bonespurs View Post
    DAZN streaming is trash....was buffering like crazy
    Don't blame dazn when you're still using dial up

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
      didnt he already sign a deal with DAZN?
      Yep.

And til DAZN signed Canelo you could argue Buffer was there best pickup cuz nothing says big fight quite like Buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
        But the sport becomes less reachable for those with a smaller budget. If the sport is featured by only one or two networks I think more people would be willing to pay for boxing. The sport, along with boxers, would be more likely to thrive.
        Well yea sure it'd be better if everything was in one place. Thats not gonna happen til someone legit takes over boxing & even then I suspect it'd be spread out a decent amount.

But idk that people are paying more now vs then. You previously had to have HBO & Showtime + $60-$80 twice a year. No you just need $15/mo (about what HBO cost iirc) & Showtime + $60-$80 for PPV.

The only thing one could argue is changing the budget for boxing fans right now is PBC doing a bunch of PPV's it would seem with 3+ scheduled for 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
          Facebook is a phone app as well just as Apple Music and Spotify. So why is DAZN hard to use while those other apps have “ease of access”?
          I swear it's like ya'll are intentionally stupid. All the apps you've named are popular and universally known. You can throw netflix in there to. What you're asking casual fans to do is to not only go and search for an app, and pay $10 a month, for an app that is no use to them besides boxing. During the week you can watch any movie you want on Netflix, download any song you want on Apple/Spotify, talk to friends and family on Facebook. With DAZN you're spending $10 to watch one fight card on the weekend. I can understand them spending the $10 for the Canelo fight but why add another $10 to their entertainment budget to watch fighters they've never heard of?

Two questions nobody has been able to ask

1. If this is the wave why aren't other sports jumping to do it? Why would a company like WWE who has their own network and streaming app, get a deal on broadcast TV? Why hasn't ESPN moved the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL games exclusively to the app? Hell they haven't even moved those games to the apps at all.

2. How is it a good thing putting a niche sport on a niche app which offers nothing but boxing and has a smaller audience than premium cable channels which caused boxing to become a niche sport?
          Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 11-04-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

We all agreed that moving boxing from broadcast tv to the future of tv at the time (premium cable) caused boxing to fall out of the mainstream.

So how is moving a niche sport to a niche app with less subs than premium cable going to grow the sport? This line of thinking has no logic behind it. And you know it's not the wave because aint no other sport doing this. There are sports with their own streaming services who are still getting broadcast TV deals.

And if this was being done in the UK these same people praising it in the US would be pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              What TV or phone now a days don't come with Netflix already installed?

The problem is ya'll fail to understand ease of access. That's why we went from coding pages on Myspace to simply clicking a button on Facebook to do the same thing. Or searching for files on Napster, making sure it was the correct file and not a virus, to simply clicking on a button on apple music/spotify.

Ease of access. Casual fans aren't going to go out of their way to find boxing
              If causal fans want to see a fighter they like, they will go out of their way to watch them.

I just went on the DAZN USA site and the app is available on pretty much 90% of the devices in use today.

You carry on though, Stan.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                For better or worse I legit think that was a part of their strategy. Cuz if I'm the President of HBO Boxing at any point basically (cuz not like it was just a Peter Nelson thing) I'd have told the commentary team to talk about the fight not just the house fighter. Or I'd fired a mfer to get in a mfer who'd be talking about the fight & not the house fighter.

So that was a choice HBO & tactic they made that worked for a long ass time, but eventually the hardcores turned on them for their house fighter lean.

And I actually think they did the opposite of this with "bad guys" to make them more hated as well I'll add. Cuz I think HBO made an effort to make Tyson & Mayweather badder guys to entice fans who wanted to see them get beat. HBO did a lot towards giving Tyson & Mayweather so many hater fans I believe.
                Egos killed HBO for sure! Lampley acting as if people are tuned in to listen to him instead of watching the fighters. Fight Game Show was proof that he really thought he could control boxing and control the narrative but it all failed clearly

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                  Egos killed HBO for sure!
                  LOL no it didn't. HBO killed HBO Boxing by giving them less money year in, year out for 2 decades.

If Lampley or other commentators hurt the brand with their bs isn't NOT relevant, but the bigger problem was HBO not giving them enough money to compete with Showtime Boxing. And if HBO was legit invested in boxing once they saw the commentators being a problem they easily could have altered their strategy & hired new guys or made the old guys change tactics.

The cold hard reality for boxing fans is HBO quit caring about boxing & therefore quit giving money to HBO Boxing giving them less appeal to boxing fans leading to us seeing their last show in the next month or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    We all agreed that moving boxing from broadcast tv to the future of tv at the time (premium cable) caused boxing to fall out of the mainstream.

So how is moving a niche sport to a niche app with less subs than premium cable going to grow the sport? This line of thinking has no logic behind it.
                    I don't think it is going to grow the sport necessarily. Or it won't be in the short term thats a definite.

I think they are just trying to get hardcore fans subbing in the near future (5+ years). This is a long game. Although I do think boxing in one place ultimately will make boxing more popular so 8-10 years down the line DAZN might have made boxing bigger if they've succeeded.

Basically I believe DAZN are doing Haymon's plan better than Haymon was is whats happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      LOL no it didn't. HBO killed HBO Boxing by giving them less money year in, year out for 2 decades.

If Lampley or other commentators hurt the brand with their bs isn't NOT relevant, but the bigger problem was HBO not giving them enough money to compete with Showtime Boxing. And if HBO was legit invested in boxing once they saw the commentators being a problem they easily could have altered their strategy & hired new guys or made the old guys change tactics.

The cold hard reality for boxing fans is HBO quit caring about boxing & therefore quit giving money to HBO Boxing giving them less appeal to boxing fans leading to us seeing their last show in the next month or two.
                      EGOS! Peter Nelson wanted to tell Arum what matches to make and play match maker despite him not being a BOXING GUY! EGO CLASH is what made Arum LEAVE HBO.

It goes beyond JUST LAMPLEY! With Nelson not being a boxing guy I wouldn't be shocked if Lampley had Input as far as which fighters would be best on the Network and fighters styles and all that

This Industry is EGO Driven so how the hell can EGO NOT Play a ROLE!

Comment

Working...
                      X