Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smith vs Holzken Corners Given Scorecards @ Rounds 4 & 8 (But Not Groves and Eubank!)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith vs Holzken Corners Given Scorecards @ Rounds 4 & 8 (But Not Groves and Eubank!)

The Smith vs Holzken fight was under hybrid WBC and Tournament rules where the corners were given the cumulative scorecards after round 4 and round 8. However the scorecards weren't revealed to the public - only to the corners during the fight. It wasn't the full on open scoring system of the WBC, but instead a hybridized version which only revealed scores to the teams of each boxer. What do you think of implementing that system on a wider scale?

It should be noted that Groves vs Eubank Jr didn't have this scoring system in place despite taking place in the very same WBSS Tournament. Open scoring is a WBC stipulation. Now, what's the possibility that it could effected the course of the fight had Eubank Jr been made aware of the scores during the bout? Especially considering he initially believed he'd actually won the fight immediately after it had ended.

And to take it one step further - did the Smith vs Holzken fight essentially give each fighter an advantage over Eubank (and Groves) due to the significantly different scoring system where each boxer had a critically accurate insight, from the judges perspective, into the effectiveness of their own performance as the fight progressed?

I don't hate that. You still end up with the same problems people complain about with open scoring (fighters will coast late), but fans do get the surprise of not knowing where things are (which I don't see THAT much appeal in, but I know a lot of people don't want that ruined so fair play to them).

I ultimately think however you do it the fighters should know where they stand so I'd love to see it become how things are done. I'd like for fighters to know after every round if they won it or not. I think it only ups the intelligence levels of teams in coming up with a winning plan or make adjustments midfight when they see whats influencing judges or not.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
      The Smith vs Holzken fight was under hybrid WBC and Tournament rules where the corners were given the cumulative scorecards after round 4 and round 8. However the scorecards weren't revealed to the public - only to the corners during the fight. It wasn't the full on open scoring system of the WBC, but instead a hybridized version which only revealed scores to the teams of each boxer. What do you think of implementing that system on a wider scale?

It should be noted that Groves vs Eubank Jr didn't have this scoring system in place despite taking place in the very same WBSS Tournament. Open scoring is a WBC stipulation. Now, what's the possibility that it could effected the course of the fight had Eubank Jr been made aware of the scores during the bout? Especially considering he initially believed he'd actually won the fight immediately after it had ended.

And to take it one step further - did the Smith vs Holzken fight essentially give each fighter an advantage over Eubank (and Groves) due to the significantly different scoring system where each boxer had a critically accurate insight, from the judges perspective, into the effectiveness of their own performance as the fight progressed?
      because it was WBC title at stake in Smith fight. The WBC pushes the open scoring system

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I don't hate that. You still end up with the same problems people complain about with open scoring (fighters will coast late), but fans do get the surprise of not knowing where things are (which I don't see THAT much appeal in, but I know a lot of people don't want that ruined so fair play to them).

I ultimately think however you do it the fighters should know where they stand so I'd love to see it become how things are done. I'd like for fighters to know after every round if they won it or not. I think it only ups the intelligence levels of teams in coming up with a winning plan or make adjustments midfight when they see whats influencing judges or not.
        I can see what you mean if a fighter is significantly ahead on the scorecards he might have a tendency to just coast and only his opponent might try harder whereas if it's an even fight then they'd both try to up their game.

What do you think about the rules being different though, within the WBSS tournament, for each of the semi-finals? They should have gone with the same system for Groves vs Eubank imo, to make sure everything was fair and even as possible because they must have known well in advance of these hybrid rules for the Smith bout due to WBC!

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
          I can see what you mean if a fighter is significantly ahead on the scorecards he might have a tendency to just coast and only his opponent might try harder whereas if it's an even fight then they'd both try to up their game.
          To me coasting late SHOULD be part of the sport though is the thing. I mean I get it from an entertainment POV you wanna see fun fights or just max action in a fight. But this happens in all sports.

Teams get that 20pt lead going into the last quarter & they milk the hell outta the clock & make the game less enjoyable for fans. It happens. I think its okay if it happens in boxing.

And I think an athlete in any sport should know where they stand. Its kinda says how effed over boxers are in many ways to other athletes that boxing's powers that be continue to have boxers working on incomplete information in a sport as demanding as boxing.

What do you think about the rules being different though, within the WBSS tournament, for each of the semi-finals? They should have gone with the same system for Groves vs Eubank imo, to make sure everything was fair and even as possible because they must have known well in advance of these hybrid rules for the Smith bout due to WBC!
          I don't got a problem with it being used here vs not being used there, although as mentioned I'd ideally like to see EVERYONE use it + be round by round & from the 4 rounders up.

I think one of the things that makes Kalle able to get the things done he gets done is his ability to work within the rules, needs & demands of others without making them conform to too many of his rules, needs & demands to make fights. I mean I'm not sure anyone could have done the Super Six tournament & this new WBSS series other than Kalle & attain the level he's attained with it.

Comment

Interesting point. I don’t think they should’ve had different open/closed scorecard scoring stipulations in the same tournament.. Instead, It should’ve remained uniform throughout the WBSS whichever option they close. And also the WBC Diamond belt is a joke. Absolutely no point of this being on the line..

Comment

Working...
            X