Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters that went from troubled youths to successful boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Kassim Ouma.

yikes

thats a tough one to beat

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Honestly, a more probative thread would have been "Successful fighters who didn't have a troubled youth". I know of very few world champions who led a privileged childhood.
      This is what should have been asked, because it's the one that would get some interesting answers.

Most successful fighters became fighters because of poverty. Those that didn't is more fascinating.

The most obvious one is Barrera.Famous for it.

Marquez bros?

Comment

Kassim Ouma.
        Yup. There's a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          This is what should have been asked, because it's the one that would get some interesting answers.

Most successful fighters became fighters because of poverty. Those that didn't is more fascinating.

Marquez bros?
          Ruben Olivares, Freddie Welsh, Ken Norton (I think ?) all came from pretty well off families.
          Last edited by NChristo; 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Ruben Olivares, Freddie Welsh, Ken Norton (I think ?) all came from pretty well off families.
            Tougher then I thought, put down 2 other names then realized after a quick thought they were both from pretty poor places / families.

Comment

Tougher then I thought, put down 2 other names then realized after a quick thought they were both from pretty poor places / families.

you made up for it with boy soldier ouma

god bless him, i cant imagine what it's like living in his head for a day, even after all these years

that's got to stay with you

Comment

Marco Antonio Barrera fits that description.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  you made up for it with boy soldier ouma

god bless him, i cant imagine what it's like living in his head for a day, even after all these years

that's got to stay with you
                  I think he's just happy he got away from it all successfully, brought up his own family in a better environment and finally got too see his own family again despite how long it took and the whole process, don't think I've ever seen him without a smile on his face although that's probably because he is high all the time as well .

But yeah couldn't imagine going through what he has, have you seen the documentary on him ?.

Comment

Sam Langford had it quite bad, run away from home at 12 after being beaten by his father badly. Then did odd jobs and eventually became a prizefighter, one of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

Marquez bros?
                      Marquez bros were poor i think......
                      I remember a few years back i think they were both fighting on the same card
                      and they did a story on them. The bros talked about how they're childhood freinds are either dead or in jail and stuff like that.
                      I think i saw it on the juan vs Jandaeng bill........

Comment

Working...
                      X